• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015
    The Lost World - John Williams

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    I find it interesting (well, a bit interesting) that both Davis and Giacchino used Williams's JP themes more than Williams himself did in The Lost World (and in fact the most jarring use of a JP theme anywhere is surely that time in The Lost World that the JP theme appears seemingly at random over Richard Attenborough in his office).

Are you kidding? That's a major goosebump moment! As are the other brief outbursts of the original theme (sometimes only a bar or two) in the rest of the film. And it's not random -- it's the only appearance of Hammond in the film, and a great way to mirror the "echoes" of the park that once was in its careful orchestrations. Despite illness, he still wants to continue his passion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    ...it's the only appearance of Hammond in the film...

Minor correction, it's not his *only* appearance. He also appears in the final moments of the film in the television broadcast, after which his voice goes over into the voice-over narration (accompanied by that main theme). Now THAT'S a goosebump moment. It really sends the audience off in awe.

But, yes, agree with the rest of your post.
  1. NP: Hair (Galt MacDermot)
    Film cast of 1979

Sublime.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know what all those individual words mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Two British tv scores (not both at the same time)

Poldark - Anne Dudley

Beautiful, pastoral score which was lovely in the show (at least the couple of episodes I watched before being too bored to continue). Am largely unfamiliar with her work but didn't think this was the type of thing she did.

Indian Summers - Stephen Warbeck

This show was even more boring. The score is nice chilled-out westernised Indian music, which is certainly my cup of tea. (I was amazed that Warbeck had done it. When I watched the show I looked out for the composer credit and could have sworn it was someone else.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I know what all those sentences mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Hair (Galt MacDermot)
    Film cast of 1979

Sublime.

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    It remains amazing to me how such a self-important, childishly grandstanding, severely dated, hopelessly and misguidedly (not to mention simplistically) idealistic work can remain so very, very good!
    When I listen to some (well, ...most!) of the lyrics I cringe.
    There's no worthwhile idea in the whole thing that outlasted 1971.

I guess a major part must be the extraordinarily catching pop tunes. But it's more. It all just comes together even if almost none of the parts are very worthwhile in and of themselves.
    I return to this again and again, and massively enjoy it every time. I have a hard time explaining why. But I do.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The fuck are you guys talking about?

...is Star Wars still happening!? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not if you take that tone of voice, young man.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jurassic World - Giacchino

Since we reached a broad consensus on this score's quality yesterday, it doesn't feel that further comment is necessary.
  2. Yes, the text is mostly cringe-worthy albeit also quite good at times. There some very strong song writing going on here. The songs are also much more demanding to perform than one might think.
    Steven doesn't like hippies? How very strange. How very strange indeed. Has he not yet been touched by the healing powers of the Aquarian Age? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain, my Captain, we followed the children and fell through a hole in the flag. We let the sunshine in and saw harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding. Ain't got no, but we got LIFE, brother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/56de2b54b2a3 … o1_400.gif
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited
    NP: Jurassic World - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino first miss of the year. Tons of atmosphere and suspense that doesn't really interest me. It takes about 9-10 tracks for this thing to get going. The action music is rather nondescript. The new themes or motifs (one being a rather silly eight note motif) aren't my cup of tea. The quotes of Williams' Jurassic themes seemed forced and don't really blend with the rest of the score. I know Iwataki recorded and mixed the score but it sounds like a dry, flat Wallin recording with the percussion under mixed.

I'm not a fan of this score at all. Oh well... like Meat Loaf said, "two out of three ain't bad."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015
    Funny. I like it MUCH more than any of his other scores in a while.
    (I may be a bit dino-biased though)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Martijn wrote
    Funny. I like it MUCH more than any of his other scores in a while.
    (I may be a bit dino-biased though)

Totally agree - from seeing the film only; the action music in the second half is brilliant, and his emotional new theme is equally fantastic. The use of the JP theme is appropriate each time. Giacchino creates a totally new identity for the franchise's music and his effort, to my ears, is far better than the Don Davis score (though admittedly I haven't pulled that one out in a long time and should now revisit it).

Duel - Billy Goldenberg

How sweet is it to finally have this on CD? The eerie dissonance and all round brilliant orchestrations make for an utterly compelling listen. Excepting the source cues there's not a boring minute here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    IMO, Giacchino's Jurassic score isn't anywhere near as entertaining as Williams' or Davis' efforts.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's the least of the four, I'll grant you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like it, I don't love it. But it does contain the best thing he's written this year. I fear I may not return to the score that often, but that particular cue will undoubtedly be one of my top cues of 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I like it, I don't love it. But it does contain the best thing he's written this year. I fear I may not return to the score that often, but that particular cue will undoubtedly be one of my top cues of 2015.

Which cue is that?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh you know cue that is... you know, *that* cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also I'm on my phone and I can't remember what it's called
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Lost World John Williams

Not to disparage Giacchino's score, I'm far from being a Hater... but it does make you appreciate what went before it that little bit more. One of my last Holy Grail scores in the hope that it will get an expanded release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Oh you know cue that is... you know, *that* cue.

As The Jurassic World Turns?
    DOOZY of a track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited
    Yes! That one. I knew it had Jurassic in the title somewhere...

Again my memory escapes me, but someone said it sounded like one of Christopher Gordon's "event" musics. I'm inclined to agree, which is probably why it sits so well with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Again my memory escapes me

It may have gone after your marbles?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I thought so. I re-listened to that cue TWICE this morning and I still can't hum the theme. The music does sound very Christopher Gorden like (Mao's Last Dancer comes to mind) but overall something it still lacking in that track. And the jarring jump to the Jurassic Park Island theme doesn't sit well with me.

It's not a bad score... it does have moments... but that's it. Moments. It doesn't work as a cohesive whole. I do like the march, which people are calling the Raptor March. Too bad Giacchino didn't adapted Williams' Raptor motif to go along with it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Funny, I can't get the theme out of my head! I love it. I'm struggling to think of a better cue from this year.