• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

For me this has become my favourite HZ alongside Inception.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015
    Mine too. I couldn't imagine those films with any other music, surely the mark of great scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Mine too. I couldn't imagine those films with any other music, surely the mark of great scores.

I've still yet to see them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Then your appreciation is yet to grow!
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

sleep

Don't get me wrong, neither is a bad score, but give me badass fun action Hans over "intellectual" droning Hans any day of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Those two plus Thin Red Line. Magnificent contributions to film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

sleep

Don't get me wrong, neither is a bad score, but give me badass fun action Hans over "intellectual" droning Hans any day of the week.

...right on cue. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Flying Horsemen - J Horner

Absolutely effing amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

sleep

...right on cue. wink

And right on the money.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're mad.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

The good news is that you have a choice. What a marvellous world we live in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    You're mad.

They're continental.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They're rebel scum.

Speaking of...

The Empire Strikes Back John Williams

The best Star Wars score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    They're rebel scum.

Speaking of...

My least favourite score (and film) of the original trilogy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom John Williams

The second best Indy score for the second worse, or third best, Indy film (depending on your perspective).

More facts to come.
  2. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

For me, it's Return of the Jedi. Definitely a good example of the law of diminishing returns in terms of the music. But certainly for the original and The Empire Strikes Back, there's not much between the scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

For me, it's Return of the Jedi. Definitely a good example of the law of diminishing returns in terms of the music. But certainly for the original and The Empire Strikes Back, there's not much between the scores.

RETURN OF THE JEDI is my favourite score of all STAR WARS films (and, in fact, my second favourite score of all time!), and just barely after the first film as film.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I'm probably repeating myself but I find the scores for Star Wars increasingly complex in terms of musicallity such that they become progressively muddled.

I think that Star Wars is well constructed orchestrationally: it's spare in its use of the orchestra but delivers on most levels in terms of emotional clout and action-scoring. The Empire Strikes Back is quite a different beast for me in terms of orchestration. But, after the success of Star Wars, everything was bound to be bigger, including the music. Empire is a great score - great themes, emotional interludes and action set-pieces - but, IMO, Star Wars is better. Return of the Jedi (and the prequel sequels), like The Hobbit vs The Lord of the Rings, seems way too frenetic and trying to pack too much into the allotted time.

I should maybe stop there: my Father's Day tippling is making for a freer tongue. I don't want to say anything (else) stupid!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

In terms of quality, no. In terms of their 'musical landscapes' (ugh), the two feel very different. Obviously Star Wars is a self-contained film, whereas the sequels were planned after the fact. The differences between the scores reflect that in just about every note. The Empire theme from the first film is entirely replaced by the Imperial March, a far more distinctive theme, and Leia's theme is kept to a minimum in the sequel scores in favour for Hans' and Leia's love theme. Also, the first score sounds more like a swashbuckling-cum-western, an ode to the Flash Gordon serials (or so I'm told), as per the film. The sequels are far more sci-fi, and so are the scores. This is why I tend to go for Empire or Jedi more than Star Wars. Those two feel so much more expansive, and they embody the universe of Star Wars more than the first score to my ears -- as superb as that first score is (it introduced the main theme and the force theme for heaven's sake).

In all seriousness, I couldn't really say those two scores are "better" than the first. But I do prefer them to the first.
  4. I'm not meaning to say one is "better" than the other: I know nothing about what could possibly make that call in terms of the music. I'm talking about preferring one over the other.

Most of what I am thinking about when it comes to preferring one over the other and how they sound is more a reaction to how they sound rather than the thematic content. I much prefer the sparser sound of the original film and how the music just flows in the scenes. Empire has similarities to the original film in that latter idea, but by the time you get to Return of the Jedi it all sounds way too disjointed. And that's probably because of style of the film.

And Star Wars was the film that got me into film music, so there's not much in this franchise that's going to better it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

The second best Indy score for the second worse, or third best, Indy film (depending on your perspective).

More facts to come.

Can I haz more facts!??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not meaning to say one is "better" than the other: I know nothing about what could possibly make that call in terms of the music. I'm talking about preferring one over the other.

Oh I know, I was referring to my post rather than yours! It's very difficult to quantify three scores of such quality.

That said, Empire is the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

More facts to come.

Can I haz more facts!??

Yes! But this is still playing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

^yeah, like that one. More please!
  5. "The Omega Man" (Ron Grainer)

It's been a long while since I listened to it. Just a fantastic score and kind of a one-of-a-kind one, too; I tried finding things close to it, but never did.

I'm going to copy it, edit it (since there is grouping of individule cues in tracks), raise/lower volume as needed and burn it in a prefered order (which probably won't vary nuch from the FSM presentation) for a copy to be played in my car while driving. That's not to say there are junk cues -- there are no bad cues in thsi score -- it's just some I don't really have to hear that often and for driving entertainment purposes need to be cut.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

RETURN OF THE JEDI is my favourite score of all STAR WARS films (and, in fact, my second favourite score of all time!), and just barely after the first film as film.

I want to marry you.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

^yeah, like that one. More please!

I suspect you ain't gon' like this fact...

Star Trek II James Roy Horner

The best Star Trek score by Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

I want to marry you.

Yep. I vote we stop giving Thor and Volker their lysine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm not meaning to say one is "better" than the other: I know nothing about what could possibly make that call in terms of the music. I'm talking about preferring one over the other.

Oh I know, I was referring to my post rather than yours! It's very difficult to quantify three scores of such quality.

It's posts like these that really make one regret Napoleon never succeeded in invading perfidious Albion to properly civilise it.

The simple fact of the matter is of course that Star Wars comes first in every conceivable way. Then a host of excellent themes is introduced in Empire, which reach their full potential and absolute zenith in Jedi.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn