• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ^ The Force is strong in this one. (The guy at the end of the previous page.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015
    It's exactly as Martijn says. RETURN manages to make full force of all the themes composed for the previous films, as well as leaving room for some spectacular setpieces that can stand alone as small concert pieces in themselves. And it all flows wonderfully as one single symphony -- both in the original program as well as the expanded Arista box album (which I prefer). Not such a big fan of the later 2CD sets.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This must be what it's like when Shias disagree with Sunnis. Though with slightly less violence. (Only slightly though.)
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sF4MU1txTY

Martijn is a guy?

tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited
    No, a small furry creaure from Alpha Centauri.
    But a REAL small furry creature from Alpha Centauri.

Steven wrote
    This must be what it's like when Shias disagree with Sunnis. Though with slightly less violence. (Only slightly though.)

So, you confess to believing in the incorrect preference of the order of a made-up fantasy?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn is a tribble!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    So, you confess to believing in the incorrect preference of the order of a made-up fantasy?

I confess.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    That said, Empire is the best.

^yeah, like that one. More please!

Star Trek II James Roy Horner

The best Star Trek score by Horner.

I suspect you ain't gon' like this
    fact...

Wrong, I can live with that, sometimes it is a FACT to me too, I think it depends on whether I'm playing II or III at a particular time wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Made up!? Blasphemer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    It's exactly as Martijn says. RETURN manages to make full force of all the themes composed for the previous films, as well as leaving room for some spectacular setpieces that can stand alone as small concert pieces in themselves. And it all flows wonderfully as one single symphony -- both in the original program as well as the expanded Arista box album (which I prefer). Not such a big fan of the later 2CD sets.

The choral material is fantabulous, like John Barry, IMO JW never did enough choral film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Blasphemer!

Blasphemer??? You apostate!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. James Horner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015 edited
    La Resa Dei Conti Ennio Morricone

This has quickly become a favourite ever since Southall mentioned it a couple weeks ago. Apparently I already had it in my library.

This is a great cue, for those who haven't heard it.
  5. NP: Jurassic World (2015) - Michael Giacchino

First proper listen. I like it a lot and Giacchino's main theme I love. OK, Southall said all there is to say about this score. I totally agree with his review. Nothing feels forced about this score. Williams' original themes feel as natural in this environment as they did in any Superman or Jaws sequel score.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015
    Max - Trevor Rabin

I feel like I fell asleep and woke up 25 years ago.
  6. Trevor Rabin's written a new score? Sweet punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No it isn't. It's pretty awful.
  7. I have no doubt that it is, and that I'll have a blast listening to it nevertheless biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FAR CRY 4 (Cliff Martinez)

Great music, too long album, thus undermining the great music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    Max - Trevor Rabin

I do wonder if there was anybody who went to the cinema in 1977 and heard Star Wars and exclaimed they'd just woken up in 1942 wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015
    Wolf Totem - James Horner

Seemed appropriate. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Legends of The Fall - James Horner

His most memorable work. It's what I love the most about the man. R.I.P.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Cocoon - James Horner

So tender in places. So powerful in others!

And now I'm teary. It's all starting to sink in.
  8. Southall wrote
    Max - Trevor Rabin

it is not horrible, it is typical Rabin material. Nothing spectacular but fun enough for a listen
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. A Beautiful Mind - James Horner

For obvious reasons. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

One of the most emotional and sweeping scores of his career. Beautiful stuff. We will never hear another score like this, ever. FACT.

sad
  10. LSH wrote

One of the most emotional and sweeping scores of his career. Beautiful stuff. We will never hear another score like this, ever. FACT.

sad

Yeah, his style of composing is apparently considered too old-fashioned now. I think it's only John Williams who's equally old-school with his film scores, and he's basically semi-retired.
  11. NP: STAR TREK II The Wrath of Khan (1982) - James Horner

sad and jet smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    LSH wrote

sad

Yeah, his style of composing is apparently considered too old-fashioned now. I think it's only John Williams who's equally old-school with his film scores, and he's basically semi-retired.

I'd still take this style of film-scoring any day. Horner is one of the few composers who's music works so fucking well on a dramatic level and can still reach the same heights listened to away from the film. His music is just so bloody listenable and engaging. So sad.

NP: SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - James Horner

A very intimate and personal effort from Horner and one of my favourites to listen to when I'm sad.
  12. LSH wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    LSH wrote

sad

I'd still take this style of film-scoring any day. Horner is one of the few composers who's music works so fucking well on a dramatic level and can still reach the same heights listened to away from the film. His music is just so bloody listenable and engaging. So sad.

NP: SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER - James Horner

A very intimate and personal effort from Horner and one of my favourites to listen to when I'm sad.

I just thought of Thomas Newman as another composer who can go "old-school" with the best of them, but it's not really his preference and he's also rather intermittent with his work.