• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015
    Thor wrote
    I have sampled the expanded version, and predictably didn't care for it much.

Neither do I. But it has better sound quality, and a couple of decent previously unreleased tracks. It's a no brainer, provided you've got the tracks in your library.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, film music being "filmic in structure" doesn't come as a surprise really, does it? But I guess it's just the old film-contra-concept album debate we always have. smile

I hate film music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK 3: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (James Horner)

Always preferred this over no. 2. More languid and poetic, more to my taste. But not without action, of course. At this point, I should probably make you aware that I'm listening to the original GNP release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR TREK 3: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (James Horner)

Always preferred this over no. 2. More languid and poetic, more to my taste. But not without action, of course.

Yup, agree.

At this point, I should probably make you aware that I'm listening to the original GNP release.

I prefer that program...although it has to be said that the *sound quality* of the FSM release is much better! And the original program is quite easy to recreate...if only because it's actually included as disc 2. dizzy So yeah, definitely worth a double-dip in this case.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We need this :beating a dead horse: smiley!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: UNDER THE SKIN by Mica Levi. I've yet to see the film but i LOVE this score. If i start to listen to it i have to listen to the entire score. Very dark and just really interesting layers in it. If there's anything similar to this out there, let me know, i'd probably like it.
  2. You and Alan take that score and go somewhere far far away where the rest of us sane people never have to hear it again! crazy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Love the score -- in the film! Not so much on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WOLF TOTEM (James Horner)

Didn't care much for this after the first few listens, but it's starting to grow on me. Could be the circumstances, I don't know, but still.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rascals and Robbers - Horner

Incongruous mix of Star Trek and Krull along with wholesome Americana. Enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner

So beautiful and... Christ, I'm in tears again. I can't remember the last time I cried this much! His music is resonating so much within me right now and it's so lovely, yet overwhelmingly poignant, to revisit all of these absolute gems.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Journey of Natty Gann - Horner

Lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You and Alan take that score and go somewhere far far away where the rest of us sane people never have to hear it again! crazy

wink

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. TheWanderer wrote
    NP: UNDER THE SKIN by Mica Levi. I've yet to see the film but i LOVE this score. If i start to listen to it i have to listen to the entire score. Very dark and just really interesting layers in it. If there's anything similar to this out there, let me know, i'd probably like it.

My top score of 2014. Mesmerising listen and such a great asset to the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You and Alan take that score and go somewhere far far away where the rest of us sane people never have to hear it again! crazy

wink

yeah

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Brainstorm - James Horner

One of my very favorites. Horner's sound was so fresh and energetic at this stage in his career.
  5. THE PELICAN BRIEF - James Horner.

This score, on the whole, is not one of his strongest, but it's full of Hornerisms and has, I think, one of his greatest unsung compositions: "Airport Goodbye". I don't know if I've ever heard anyone praise this track in the years I've been online. I think it's excellent. I remember being moved by it when I first saw the film, so much so, that I tried to figure out how to play the theme on the piano. It was the first cue I ever tried to do that with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA DOUBLE VIE DE VERONIQUE (Zbigniew Preisner)

Preisner, man! So achingly beautiful....
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Extraordinary score, and one of the greatest of all films.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015 edited
    christopher wrote
    THE PELICAN BRIEF - James Horner.

This score, on the whole, is not one of his strongest, but it's full of Hornerisms and has, I think, one of his greatest unsung compositions: "Airport Goodbye". I don't know if I've ever heard anyone praise this track in the years I've been online.

wave Right here!

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interestingly, I did own THE PELICAN BRIEF once upon a time, but didn't like it very much, so I sold it or traded it. But my taste has changed a lot since then, so I'm willing to give it another shot now.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    THE PELICAN BRIEF - James Horner.

This score, on the whole, is not one of his strongest, but it's full of Hornerisms and has, I think, one of his greatest unsung compositions: "Airport Goodbye". I don't know if I've ever heard anyone praise this track in the years I've been online.

wave Right here!

wink

-Erik-

I stand corrected! I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates this score. smile
  8. Thor wrote
    Interestingly, I did own THE PELICAN BRIEF once upon a time, but didn't like it very much, so I sold it or traded it. But my taste has changed a lot since then, so I'm willing to give it another shot now.

Did you listen to that clip I linked to? It's gorgeous! (And not super indicative of most of the rest of the album)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

Did you listen to that clip I linked to? It's gorgeous! (And not super indicative of most of the rest of the album)

Yeah, it's great. I can understand why I didn't care for it in my late teens, as it might have felt too slow or calm (I was totally into bombastic action music at the time, and bought this on a whim).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

wink

yeah

biggrin

I'll get my coat... I always wondered what other people thought of this score. Now i know. smile
  10. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, it's great. I can understand why I didn't care for it in my late teens, as it might have felt too slow or calm (I was totally into bombastic action music at the time, and bought this on a whim).

Yeah, I thought you would like it.

CASPER - James Horner

First listen.
  11. CASPER is a score that I need to revisit. It used to be one of my favourite scores by Horner but I haven't played it in a long time.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. i'm a big fan of New Zealand vampire mockumentary WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, which i don't believe has a soundtrack, so i hunted all the tracks down individually. The music is mostly songs by an apparently Montreal band called Black Ox Orkestar and is based in European Jewish folk music. i really like it. There's also some good old songs in the film too. Check it out if you get a chance to see it. I found the humour to be along the lines of Flight of the Conchords in tone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That film rubbed the wrong way, I'm afraid -- even if I went into it, willing to like it. However, the indie vampire flick A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT (which has become somewhat of a success) was very charming. Director Ana Lily Amirpour seemed to throw every conceivable art film aesthetic at the film that she could think of.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Aliens - J Horner

A very different thing for him and I've struggled in the past to get as much from it as others do, but of course right now I'm loving it.