• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    The Desert Chase and The Asteroid Field, IMO, is where Williams set the bar for action music.

Indeed. Among my favourite action cues are Horner's "A Building Panic" and "The Sinking" from TITANIC.

I'm still in awe that this is the same orchestra that released so many duds in the 90's and early 2000's.

-Erik-

I cautiously agree. Still there are quite a few recordings from that era that I like a lot. Some of these early productions sound amateurishly recorded rather than performed.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    I cautiously agree. Still there are quite a few recordings from that era that I like a lot. Some of these early productions sound amateurishly recorded rather than performed.

For sure. Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond 2... or whatever that compilation is titled... is one of my most cherished albums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote

NP: Obsession - Bernard Herrmann

I normally don't like to listen to complete Bernard Herrmann scores but this is absolutely breathtaking. Right up there with his masterwork, Vertigo. Great performance by the City of Prague Philharmonic and Chorus led by conductor Nic Raine. The sonics on this album are OUTSTANDING. I'm still in awe that this is the same orchestra that released so many duds in the 90's and early 2000's. This is EASILY 2015's best NEW recording of an existing score and one of the finest recordings released by Tadlow!

An essential recording for any serious film music fan!

-Erik-

My copy arrived today, it's an outstanding recording and a real treat to be able to listen to it in 5.1 on the included blu ray disc. It's a great year to be a Herrmann fan, my copy of 'White Witch Doctor' arrived earlier this week, it's terrific.
  3. Listening to some of Horner's scores, does anyone else use the piano in action/super-dramatic scenes like he does?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Nothing springs to mind Kevin. I do like how he uses the piano in his action music, especially those descending clusters he often places at the end of certain phrases.
  4. For a more rhythmic use of piano (percussive if you want), try Jerry Goldsmith, especially in the 1980s/1990s.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Incredibles Michael Giacchino

His first and dare I say best film score. (First proper film.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015
    yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Define "proper film."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Okay.

Proper film

[prop-er film]

Noun.

A film that isn't a piece of shite and will be remembered.
  5. Wasn't it actually also Giacchino's very first cinematic feature?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No... it wasn't. He did My Brother The Pig, Semper Fi, SIN, No Salida, The Trouble with Lou, and Redemption of the Ghost all before The Incredibles. Semper Fi is superb! I also really like My Brother the Pig (starring Scarlett Johansson) and Redemption of the Ghost.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wasn't it actually also Giacchino's very first cinematic feature?

The first one that people heard about, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    No... it wasn't. He did My Brother The Pig, Semper Fi, SIN, No Salida, The Trouble with Lou, and Redemption of the Ghost all before The Incredibles. Semper Fi is superb! I also really like My Brother the Pig (starring Scarlett Johansson) and Redemption of the Ghost.

-Erik-

Yeah... I'm still gonna say The Incredibles. wink (Not that they don't all sound like fantastic films.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited
    NP: Doctor Who (series 8) - Murray Gold

Yes, it has several interesting ideas, but nowhere NEAR enough to sustain a three-CD presentation.
    Much as I love what he does, Gold would do better going back to one CD per season (or even one per two! The very first CD containing suites/highlights from Season 1 and 2 of the franchise reboot was without a doubt the best.

As to the music itself, I like that the tone is notably harsher and darker for Doctor 12. There's a roughness around the edges that is never subtle (witness the new arrangement of the iconic Main Theme which is now quite sharp-edged and electronic, and the theme for 12 that plays like a bit out of Interstellar. )

The overall sensation is that we're not playing around any more...which would have been very interesting if only this season overall had had (much!) better storylines. Capaldi's reincarnation deserved a (much!) more coherent and proper entry into the canon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2015
    Inside Out - Michael Giacchino

It's interesting. I'm not sure I'm able to connect to it on an emotional level but I deeply respect the sound world Giacchino has constructed here. This has been a great year for the composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars John Williams

Close Encounters is my favourite 1977 Williams score to listen to as a whole; this is my favourite to pick out individual cues.

Certainly bucking the trend by listening to Star Wars on a film music forum, either way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Star Wars John Williams

Close Encounters is my favourite 1977 Williams score to listen to as a whole

You're mad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2015
    Just to make matters worse, it's the expanded edition I'm referring to. Frankly the only version I care about.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2015 edited
    Steven wrote
    Just to make matters worse, it's the expanded edition I'm referring to. Frankly the only version I care about.

Fair nuff! I doubt there's too many of us around here that remembers the gobsmacking thrill of getting a 2 LP representation of a film score. Heck! By the time I bought the 2 LP Superman album I expected a 2 LP Empire Strikes Back ( I bought it in Woolworths and didn't know the regular release was a single LP ) and then to be crestfallen by a single album release of Jedi.

What a bunch of young spoilt ingrates you all are wanting every note written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Fair nuff!
    ]
    yeah
    With ALL of what Tim said.

That said, I really only listen to the 1993 'Fox Box', which I still think is the finest expanded presentation on the planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poldark - Anne Dudley

It's a bit monochromatic but I like it.
  6. killing Season Young

This is so, so good, enjoy it more with every listen.
  7. INSIDE OUT - Michael Giacchino

I'm not all the way through my first listen (still have 4 tracks to go), but I haven't been moved by what I've heard so far. That said, there's a joyous feel to the first part of the album that gets quite Delerue-esque (especially track 3). I'm interested to hear this score in context. Critics are raving about the film and many are praising the score as well. I'm hoping for a big emotional payoff in these last tracks.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2015
    Agnes of God - Georges Delerue

First listen. Gorgeous. His writing for strings is just so luscious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015
    Josh B wrote

First listen? Wow. It's a classic!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of his very best. And one of my favourite scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Josh B wrote

You can rarely go wrong with Delerue. It's like Delerue roulette -- just put some of his scores into a player, pick at random and you get a shot of beauty to the ears.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Josh B wrote

You can rarely go wrong with Delerue. It's like Delerue roulette -- just put some of his scores into a player, pick at random and you get a shot of beauty to the ears.

Except when he tries to do suspense. Awful stuff, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015 edited
    NP: Jaws - John Williams

I'm playing Varese's brilliant 2000 recording. Joel McNeely and the RSNO did a bang up job. Happy 40th, Jaws!

-Erik-