• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016
    NP: PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX (Bent Fabricius-Bjerre)

I was ecstastic when Plantsounds released this iconic, Dixieland-meets-folk-music-inspired Norwegian score for the first time EVER last year, only to discover the international community was....wildly indifferent. LOL! :D
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

The original theme for Alice is by far the most memorable part of this second Alice score. I find my attention wavers away from this until I hear some snippet of the main theme, then my attention is fixed again on the music to hear what sort of variations Elfman makes to the theme.

I've willfully steered away from sampling this, as I want to buy the physical disc first. But I thought the first score was spectacular, and most of the comments I've read seem to suggest this is even superior?

I've only given it one listen so far, but I agree with Alan. Outside that brilliant theme there was nothing that stood out to me.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX (Bent Fabricius-Bjerre)

I was ecstastic when Plantsounds released this iconic, Dixieland-meets-folk-music-inspired Norwegian score for the first time EVER last year, only to discover the international community was....wildly indifferent. LOL! :D

Maybe it's the 'Dixieland-meets-folk-music' that's particularly off-putting?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Yeah, I can't say that description has me wildly salivating... tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yup! that description immediately puts me off.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX - Bent Fabricius-Bjerre

I'll make up my own mind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote

Thor's description does this charming little score a disservice. There are folk influences and a very little Dixie but much more, this is a lovely, melodic, breezy score that reminds me of English light classics from the likes of Ronald Binge, Robert Farnon and Ron Goodwin. A nice refreshing listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that's probably why I don't do film music reviews. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It's a nice score. It generally reminds me of children's TV show scores from the 70s. Very nostalgic.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOONBEAM CITY (Night Club)

Awesome, 80s retro synthpop score with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Skip the silly parody songs (although the one parodying Toto's "Africa" is a hoot!) and listen to the instrumental tracks. Now! Volker, you'll love this:

https://open.spotify.com/album/05x1Bc0YMjGx8lAKB8lfns
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thor's description does this charming little score a disservice. There are folk influences and a very little Dixie but much more, this is a lovely, melodic, breezy score that reminds me of English light classics from the likes of Ronald Binge, Robert Farnon and Ron Goodwin. A nice refreshing listen.

Completely agree. It's just utterly charming...which reminds me...I think I was to send my extra copy to someone on the board ages ago... uh-oh...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2016 edited
    christopher wrote
    Outside that brilliant theme there was nothing that stood out to me.

Which is my usual reaction to most Danny Elfman scores.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

It is a nice little score, isn't it? I've loved it since childhood and for a long time I was sad and annoyed that it hadn't been properly released.

Imagine my joy of being involved in the release when it finally happened! (I did the liner notes). smile
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: The Knack... and how to get it - John Barry

Absolutely great stuff here! I love the way Barry plays around with the main theme. Even in largely monothematic scores such as this, Barry had a way of keeping things constantly interesting through changes in orchestration, tempo and mood.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  5. christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

The original theme for Alice is by far the most memorable part of this second Alice score. I find my attention wavers away from this until I hear some snippet of the main theme, then my attention is fixed again on the music to hear what sort of variations Elfman makes to the theme.

I've willfully steered away from sampling this, as I want to buy the physical disc first. But I thought the first score was spectacular, and most of the comments I've read seem to suggest this is even superior?

I've only given it one listen so far, but I agree with Alan. Outside that brilliant theme there was nothing that stood out to me.

Same here, take the theme away and you'll have a hard time remembering it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. There's some solid action music in Alice 2 (and it's honestly probably Elfman's best score in a while), but it suffers from the same odd lack of personality that Elfman has been dealing with for a few years now. It's not that the scores don't sound like Elfman...they do...but they sound like Elfman just "being Elfman" instead of Elfman being the creative, off-the-wall composer he usually is. I want to hear another score like Hellboy II or Wanted or Planet of the Apes or Spider-Man.

The only exception recently has been The Unknown Known, which I quite liked and was a refreshing change of pace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Superman - John Williams

Super, man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016 edited
    NP : BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN - Richard Rodney Bennett

Brilliant sequel score to The Ipcress File. My only problem with this is that I want to play those main titles over and over!

Give it a listen, it's available on Spotify.
  7. The Silence of the Lambs - Howard Shore

Shore is the most elegant composer of monstrosity -- I never get tired of this stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016
    NP: ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - John Barry

Sublime.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016
    The Light Between Oceans - A Desplat

This is gorgeous, prime Desplat. Probably my favourite film score album of 2016.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016 edited
    NP: THE GREEN MILE - Thomas Newman

In places, this is haunting as fuck. Very atmospheric, sad stuff. Good bedtime listening. (Yes, I'm fully aware it's almost 6am).

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016
    'The Bad Death Of Eduard Delacroix', 'The Mouse On The Mile' and 'The Green Mile' do not sound like they're from the same score -- and I mean that in the best way possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE KENTUCKIAN (Bernard Herrmann)

Herrmann could do Americana as well as anyone else.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Stanford Prison Experiment - Andrew Hewitt

An unusual one this. A lot of minimal-style music to my ears that's bordering on the unpleasant because of the choice of 'instruments'. It's almost like part of the experiment is to compose a score using the things you would find in a prison.

Lots of ostinato rhythms and washes of abrasive sounds. It is intriguing how this would work in the movie.

works great. have seen the very intense and film movie and the score helps a lot, recommended
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Concerning Giacchino - not only regarding Trek - I have grown into a screamingly raving fan boy. smile

Poor soul.

Giacchino kicks ass. Saw the new star trek at the cinema last week and boy i was humming during the entire duration of the film...beautiful melodies, as i said: he kicks ass! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Concerning Giacchino - not only regarding Trek - I have grown into a screamingly raving fan boy. smile

Poor soul.

This is what I think about you being a Martinez or a Reznor fan, so fair's fair. smile

I loved Martinez when he wrote more organically and with physical instruments, his epitome being the gorgeous SOLARIS. Then he went all electronic and electronica lazy on us, like Mansell went onto the artsy fartsy noise route.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Star Trek Beyond - Michael Giacchino

Like Thor, I'm not finding this particularly magical. Nor musically interesting.
    Giacchino's sound for blockbuster spectacles leaves a lot to be desired for me.

Watch the film. Kicks ass, both film and score in it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    I really like Giacchino but "emotional" isn't a word I'd readily associate. It's technically strong music, he does seem to have a good sense of dramatic plotting with music, but I think he's usually very much underscoring what's happening in the film rather than pushing it further than what's already there, the way a Horner or a Goldsmith did. That famous bit in Up, and much of Inside Out, is I'd say more about capturing a joie de vivre than overtly scoring emotion.

Certainly true of his film scores. Lost remains his most 'personal' sounding project, and his most emotional.

True , this is why it's my favorite of him, the whole 6 seasons. And UP is very emotional too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: BAZTAN (Angel Illaramendi)

Illaremendi is almost on Delerue level when it comes to bittersweet melodies, and rather grating when it comes to suspense. Fortunately, this contains most of the former.

True his suspense cues are of constantly repeated elements, all over and over to death , and flat.