• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I notice in today's FILM MUSIC WEEKLY that it's now ok to talk about forthcoming projects for this composer. After many event scores and concert works, there are two scores in the pipeline for Gordon, the first since SALEM'S LOT.

DAYBREAKERS
    A potentially-interesting vampire film, with Ethan Hawke, Willem Defoe and others. It will be recorded late next month, I believe. Though both films involve vampires, I imagine it will draw on a very different kind of music than SALEM. Due out later this year.

MAO'S LAST DANCER
    Bruce Beresford's adaptation of this famous book. This won't be out until 2009 I believe, and hasn't started shooting, but Gordon's already recorded the source music he wrote. (There's a lot of dancing in the film, and I think music had to be written for that.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    Fantastic news ! I can't wait for these scores. Gordon is a truely talented composer !
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Very welcome news.

Nothing beats On the Beach, a great score.
  2. Speaking of Gordon what's the deal with the scarcity of his Moby Dick score? It is almost impossible to find and when I do find it it doesn't go for less than $30. Was it limited or something? It has some lovely themes and I need to get the score CD sometime.
  3. It wasn't limited as such, but Varese may not have decided to repress it since it probably wasn't a huge seller. Have you tried to purchase from their website, or on ebay?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On the beach is an amazing score. Can't wait to hear those new assignments!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    It wasn't limited as such, but Varese may not have decided to repress it since it probably wasn't a huge seller. Have you tried to purchase from their website, or on ebay?

Yep. I've been looking for it for four years now and even back then the Varese website didn't carry it anymore. It's rarely on ebay. There are two posted there right now but they are both above $50. Amazon has a few, but they aren't any cheaper than $30. Technically I could have it if I wanted, but it's insane paying over $30 for one CD. I'm hoping to find it used for around $7. I seem to eventually find everything if I just wait about 5 years.
  5. I was at one of the orchestra sessions for DAYBREAKERS last night. Sounds very good - the choir and percussion were to be recorded separately, but seeing 6-7 key cues put together (including one cathartic piece described 'The Execution') was very interesting. Strong use of French horn, and some interesting writing for two harps. They'll keep recording over the weekend, so I might slip in again for the session described as 'string orchestra' only, which I think will bring in violins. (The session last night was all violas, celli and basses.)
  6. This morning's session featured strings only, and was the first time violins have joined the ensemble. The film's plot lends itself to an interesting musical analogue, and Gordon's score is written so that the ensemble is dominated by darker celli, basses and violas for most of the film, the violins only beginning to enter as the characters work their way into the light. Most of the morning session was devoted to a rewrite of the short finale cue and the lengthy end credits cue.

The end credits, if they remain intact in this form, will undoubtedly be one of the highlight cues of the year. An elated passage for violins leads into the first of three soli - first for harp against gentle violins, then for sombre cello against the darker-hued strings, then we hear a viola-centred reworking of a cue 'The Execution' over an interesting backing where each of the celli were playing a different line (written, not improvised). The full string ensemble returns in a reprise of the music from 'The Healing'-sequence I saw the other day, now re-orchestrated totally for strings.

I didn't hang around for the afternoon, which was percussion overdubs, but I hope to be back for Monday evening's sessions with the Cantillation choral group.

This looks to be an interesting film in any case. Reminiscent in some respects of GATTACA (Ethan Hawke's character and the heaviness of the world the characters inhabit is partly what makes me think so). It's hard to tell from the collection of sequences I've seen with incomplete special effects, and out of order, but I think I will go and see it when it comes out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008
    This is quite fascinating, thank you smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. franz_conrad wrote
    ...I think I will go and see it when it comes out.

Surely you'll want to go, now that you've been at the sessions?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. It's normally not the sort of film I would go and see at cinemas, but having met the film-makers I think they've done something with a lot of guts and would like to support it by going. I only hope the film they've made makes it through the next three months of test screenings intact. The film is relatively low budget, so that would probably relieve some of the pressure on it.

I also saw the choral sessions, which used Cantillation, the vocal group Gordon used on SALEM'S LOT and MUCH ADO ABOUT SOMETHING. Some very eerie, almost microtonal Ligeti-style choral writing over the opening credits.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's normally not the sort of film I would go and see at cinemas, but having met the film-makers I think they've done something with a lot of guts and would like to support it by going. I only hope the film they've made makes it through the next three months of test screenings intact. The film is relatively low budget, so that would probably relieve some of the pressure on it.

I also saw the choral sessions, which used Cantillation, the vocal group Gordon used on SALEM'S LOT and MUCH ADO ABOUT SOMETHING. Some very eerie, almost microtonal Ligeti-style choral writing over the opening credits.

Sounds like my cuppa lick cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. A new website!
    http://www.christophergordon.net/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Christopher Gordon!! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Excellent, about time for that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008 edited
    Ok, I don't have anything by this composer and I guess I should start with checking out On The Beach since everyone has raved about it. But the only album I see for that on soundtrackcollector is the compilation with Melbourne and a couple of other scores. There's only 10 minutes from OTB. Is that all there is of it?

Heck, nearly every other cd of his is unavailable or expensive with the exception of the compilation and When Good Ghouls Go Bad slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Ok, I don't have anything by this composer and I guess I should start with checking out On The Beach since everyone has raved about it. But the only album I see for that on soundtrackcollector is the compilation with Melbourne and a couple of other scores. There's only 10 minutes from OTB. Is that all there is of it?

No, that's not all there is.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Original-Te … amp;sr=1-5

Get it... get it NOW! And if can, pick up that Melbourne comp. There's some stunning music on that CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Just a note - a LOT of soundclips have been added to the Gordon website lately. The whole 'Concerto for Bass Trombone' is up there now for streaming, among other things. (Note - it was just the mixing desk output from the night of the premiere, and so far only, performance.) His wonderful 2008 piece for orchestra, guitar and two harps, 'Circa', is also there (under 'Events').
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2008
    Sweeeeeeeet! Thanks for the update!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009
    Here's Christopher Gordon's new blog:

http://hornconcerto.net/

I urge every Gordon fan to join the forum and for anyone who's heard Gordon's music, you'll understand how exciting it is to be able to ask the composer questions on his forum.

I wonder if this is worthy of a separate thread?
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    Thanks for the link Steven. I love Christopher Gordon's music.
  11. Thanks for posting this Steven. I meant to put up a link to this.
    Don't be put off by the small number of blog entries to date. Even if he only updated it fairly infrequently, each entry is quite substantial, and points the reader to a lot of supporting content around the net.

Interesting to see the little motif he's been carrying through his titling in the last year. His Chamber Symphony (which I really like) was called 'Freefall', there's a track around the beginning of the DAYBREAKERS disc called 'Nightfall', and the new Horn Concerto is called 'Lightfall' (probably the best of the three).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Yes, Thanks Steven.
    I joined up.
    Gordon is surely one of the finest composers around.
    In fact there isn't a piece of music he's written that I havent enjoyed! cool
  12. Just saw the trailer of Daybreakers
    what can we expect from such a score? I hope nothing too electronic even though I never heard Gordon doing electronic music, so here's hoping for a great orchestral score punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  13. There is a bit of an arc in the DAYBREAKERS score. It starts in a colder electronic mode with eerie choir - the effect similar to something like Ligeti's 'Lux Aeterna' - and becomes more orchestral as the story develops. The second half of the score is almost completely orchestral, but from memory the finishing touch only comes when violins finally enter towards the end (as a character achieves a certain state).
  14. franz_conrad wrote
    There is a bit of an arc in the DAYBREAKERS score. It starts in a colder electronic mode with eerie choir - the effect similar to something like Ligeti's 'Lux Aeterna' - and becomes more orchestral as the story develops. The second half of the score is almost completely orchestral, but from memory the finishing touch only comes when violins finally enter towards the end (as a character achieves a certain state).

cool, sounds promising enough smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  15. Oh it's good, don't worry. wink
  16. Speaking of good, I just notice that a new 16 minute work for strings has been uploaded:

Night is What Remains
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    Thanks Michael, that's a lovely work. Sort of felt like Vaughan Williams / Kilar / Part???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt