• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016
    Another thing i find funny with football fans is how they call and consider the teams as 'our' 'mine' etc while they lay down their hard-earned money to the big fat bosses and the ridiculously overpaid players' pockets. Anyway, to each their own wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Well the Spain-Croatia match was thoroughly entertaining! I loved the Croatian keeper saving the unjustly awarded penalty (even if he did come off his line rather early to do so). A real nail-biter right up to the end.

Germany's game was less dramatic, but a significantly improved performance compared to the Poland game. At least we're actually getting the opportunites...now we just need to work on our conversion rate. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well the Spain-Croatia match was thoroughly entertaining! I loved the Croatian keeper saving the unjustly awarded penalty (even if he did come off his line rather early to do so). A real nail-biter right up to the end.

Germany's game was less dramatic, but a significantly improved performance compared to the Poland game. At least we're actually getting the opportunites...now we just need to work on our conversion rate. wink

I didn't watch the Germany game, but I did watch Spain-Croatia. Spain is one of my favourite teams (their defense is so-so, but their offense is so secure and tight and creative and direct -- just my kind of team), so I was bummed when Croatia "stole" the victory; also because it means Croatia is the group winner and Spain will face Italy next (and all the other great teams).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. As Spain and Italy are the two teams against which Germany has struggled most in tournaments, the fact that one of them is guaranteed not to make the quarterfinals does not bother me in the slightest. wink Although I do hope it's Spain that advances.

I was rooting for Croatia; they are by no means a "small" team anymore, but they certainly proved that there are other ways to face up against a footballing giant than attempting to build a wall around the edge of the penalty area. They played a comparatively open, risky game and were rewarded for it. And that karmic penalty miss was just too good (Silva clearly dived).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I was rooting for Croatia; they are by no means a "small" team anymore, but they certainly proved that there are other ways to face up against a footballing giant than attempting to build a wall around the edge of the penalty area. They played a comparatively open, risky game and were rewarded for it. And that karmic penalty miss was just too good (Silva clearly dived).

Well, their strategy WAS very defensive, but they nurtured the counterattack strategy throughout the whole game and succeeded in that. Croatia has been a good team for several years now, but like other Eastern European teams, they often have a very "bad" culture in terms of ruining fair play -- whether it's "acting" fouls, pulling shirts or whatever. I hate that. But it's not as bad as it used to back in the 90s and early 2000s.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. So, I guess all of Scandinavia is rooting for Island now. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. No man is an Island.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. We are islands, but never too far,
    We are islands
    And I need your light tonight,
    And I need your light tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sail away with me... to another world... and we rely on each other... aha! From one lover to another... aha!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016
    Knowing me, knowing you....ahaaa!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, it's an extender!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Extenders? Ooooo, I'm a big fan!
  5. Belgium's through, but it wasn't good again (in fact we didn't deserve to win yesterday)
    Come on, we can do better than that shame

then again, if you see who they possibly have to meet on the road to the finale, I'd say there's no better time.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. What the living hell was up with that Portugal-Hungary game, though? dizzy Finally some real entertainment!

Germany has to face either Spain or Italy in the quarterfinals... freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2016
    Well, any hopes that the tournament would come to life in the knockout phase have been well and truly dashed by today's dire matches, each of which managed to be even worse than the one before. Shaqiri's magical goal for Switzerland was wonderful, but otherwise it was awful. This is the worst Euro tournament I can remember. One of Portugal or Poland will be in the semi finals...
  7. yeah

Shaqiri's goal almost - almost - made it worth sitting through 300+ minutes of some of the dullest football I've ever had the misfortune to watch. That Wales-Northern Ireland game was some fourth-division shit (Brexit on their mind, one assumes). slant
  8. 'Brexit on their mind'? That's bollocks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Maybe I didn't love EU
    Quite as much as I should have
    Maybe I didn't treat EU
    Quite as well as I should have
    If I made you feel... second best
    I'm so sorry, I was blind
    I've got Brexit on my mind
    EU were always on my mind
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    'Brexit on their mind'? That's bollocks.

Yes I know, 'twas meant in jest (though I note the lack of appropriate smiley, in retrospect). wink
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    yeah

Shaqiri's goal almost - almost - made it worth sitting through 300+ minutes of some of the dullest football I've ever had the misfortune to watch. That Wales-Northern Ireland game was some fourth-division shit (Brexit on their mind, one assumes). slant

luckily people could enjoy themselves with Portugal / Croatia wink
  11. sleep
  12. Hungary - Belgium: 0-4

Finally a performance we can be proud off smile . Great game, lots of chances, an Eden Hazard in excellent form and a game that went up and down. The score is exaggerated, but the victory was earned. Next test, Wales

Come on Belgium punk
  13. I have to say, Belgium's path to the final looks exceedingly possible. Wales has had some truly awful games and neither Portugal nor Poland has looked convincing either, with Portugal essentially scraping into the quarterfinals off the back of four ties. Belgium could just assign Nainggolan and/or Witsel to cover Bale, then Ronaldo; take them out and the rest of those teams will just sort of collapse, I think. Especially Wales, which looks a lot like a third-league team if not for Bale and Aaron Ramsey.

Germany put in a very strong performance as well, finally, with the only flaw being Özil's penalty (VE GERMANS DO NOT MISS ZE PENALTIES, JA??? angry ). But our road is a lot trickier. Italy or Spain in the quarterfinals, and then England or France (or Iceland, but come on) in the semis. sad

A Germany-Belgium final could be a great match, I think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2016
    A return to efficiency! I must spill out my bias right off the bat.
    Great game for Italy. Buffon made the difference. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of De Sciglio, who has unfortunately suffered a lot wth Milan over the last couple of years.

A tactical victory for Conte’s vertical football. Almost a mirror of his style at Juve in terms of the positioning of strikers when possession is regained. I wish Insigne was introduced a little sooner though. With De Rossi injured and Motta suspended, I’m curious to see who will fill the void in front of the defense in the next round.
  14. Looking forward to Italy vs Germany. A classic fixture.
    Volker
  15. Looking forward to France vs. Iceland!

(As the results stand at the moment.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Roy Hodgson is doing his best to refute the notion that there wasn't a clear plan for exiting Europe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Friggin' Iceland!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. England has left the Euro. Fitting.