• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Overboard" is now SOLD OUT.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

Available from Intrada until the 28th, or unless sold out before then:

Battlestar Galactica Volume 3 (Stu Phillips) (Update: SOLD OUT)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7777/.f

The Quiller Memorandum (John Barry) (Update: SOLD OUT)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7635/.f

Wolfen (James Horner) (Update: SOLD OUT)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7331/.f
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. The last two have SOLD OUT from Intrada.

Losw qauntity alert from LLLR:

FUGITIVE SPECIAL! To celebrate our release of James Newton Howard’s DAVE, we are offering his crackerjack score to THE FUGITIVE at a special sale price of $14.98! There are less than 300 units left, so catch Dr. Kimble now while you still can! Sale price good thru 1/28. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com
  4. Next up La La Land Records:

I'll give you guys a head's up on all things LLL:

Jan 29th

We will be releasing John Barry's mostly unused score to the 1977 Romantic Drama FIRST LOVE, starring William Katt and Susan Dey. This is a gorgeous Barry score in the great style of his 1970's period.

We will also be releasing the soundtrack to the new Motion Picture HANSEL AND GRETEL WITCH HUNTERS. I have to say, I am really happy with Atli Orvarsson's score. Beats the SHIT out of "Snow White" lol. Some really great stuff here.

Feb 12th

The MAIN "Heads up" I am giving you is for Feb 12 when we will be releasing our 4 cd set to STAR TREK DEEP SPACE 9. This bad boy will set you back $49.98, so save your pennies now.

Also, on that day, we will release Brian Tyler's score to the uber-cool JOHN DIES AT THE END.

A more detailed press release for all these titles will be forth-coming.

MV
  5. Two releases coming from Kritzerland; silver age, and composers previously on the label. One title appears to have already been guessed very quickly:

"Who's Got the Action?" (George Duning)
  6. The second Kritzerland has been guessed:

Why if it were Butch and Sundance: The Early Years, the complete Patrick Williams score I would be dancing a jig and a half. Not only complete, but there were actually two different recordings of many cues and if those were all on the CD, too, well...
  7. Intrada's next two CD's appear to be:

"Flight of the Intruder"
    and "Joe Kidd" (this one is nailed 100% yet)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    Unfamiliar with both titles... will check out the samples once they're online.
  8. JK is a good Schifrin score; it's been on my personal want list since I saw the film a decade or so ago. I can't comment on the Poledouris.
  9. "SOS Titanic" (Howard Blake; 1979 TV movie)

Is now up for pre-order at SAE:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/
  10. justin boggan wrote
    "SOS Titanic" (Craig Safan)

Is now up for pre-order at SAE:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/

Shouldn't that be Howard Blake?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Right you are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013 edited
    Silva Screen announce an upcoming Doctor Who soundtrack release from the Peter Davidson era:

The Caves of Androzani - Roger Limb & The BBC Radiophonic Workshop

http://www.doctorwhomusic.com/

I am hoping that this will be listenable!

[Edit] Watching clips on YouTube, I am not holding out much hope of the music being something of interest to me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. And the word is that Silva Screen plan on releasing 7-8 of these old Doctor Who soundtracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    Urgh...I have some of those...they are utterly unlistenable.
    Early small scope, atonal electronics. Yuck.

On a sadder note, Disques Cinémusiques seem to have pulled their announced Alfred Newman double-header The Diary Of Anne Frank / Anastasia.

I have Anastasia already (which is lovely), but I was really stoked to add Anne Frank to my collection. An outstanding score, which is in dire need of another release.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. Martijn wrote

On a sadder note, Disques Cinémusiques seem to have pulled their announced Alfred Newman double-header The Diary Of Anne Frank / Anastasia.

I have Anastasia already (which is lovely), but I was really stoked to add Anne Frank to my collection. An outstanding score, which is in dire need of another release.

I take it then that you don't like Forbidden Planet by Louis and Bebe Barron as much as I do?

Also I don't get why older synths should be "small scope". The analog Moog has never been beaten by anything digital.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I take it then that you don't like Forbidden Planet by Louis and Bebe Barron as much as I do?

Got it in one! thumbsup
    Many moons ago a music teacher at the Royal Conservatory lent me his copy when he learned I was into film scores, raving about it.
    It nigh broke my heart to give it back to him the next week and not being able to come up with much more than "interesting" as a qualification (which wasn't even vaguely near my true feelings about the whole thing...)

Also I don't get why older synths should be "small scope". The analog Moog has never been beaten by anything digital.

Utterly depends on what you're listening to! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Martijn wrote

You may know this already Martijn, but there are some tracks from The Diary of Anne Frank available as digital download - looks like a digital version of the original LP release.

And on the subject of Forbidden Planet, James Wierzbicki's "Film Score Guide" book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Louis-Bebe-Barr … amp;sr=1-2

...is an interesting read. But I am always put off by the audio clips of the score and so haven't purchased a copy of the score. I am sure that it is an interesting score in terms of the history of film music, but as a separate listening experience? Not really for me.
  15. Martijn wrote

It's because it was a bootleg, not really cleared with the studio, La-La Land has it in works.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't copy FSM. They're far too America-centric to be able to say anything coherent on global copyright issues.
    It's very sad to see that DCM got cowed by copyright claims that had NO validity in either Canada or Europe.

And LLL has nothing in the works. That rumour got started on FSM too, and was quickly dismissed.
  16. Using other countries grey area laws is an excuse to work around what's right. FSM, Lukas, is right.

For basic starters, the tapes, paper work, etc., are owned by an American company. Note how a upstanding label such as Intrada Records, will work on the rights issues and payments of Canadian laws, rather them circumvent them and source from an inferior source. They didn't say "Screw it" on "Funeral Home", instead they worked with the Canadian Musician's Union and paid the fees, which they publically expressed were high. They played ball with the rights holders in Canada. And because they did, who knows what this will yield in the future*.
    And for those who have read FSM for many years, you've no doubt seen that labels have expressed costs and rights issues for other overseas scores, rather than stating they'll work around it and do what ever they want. DCM is not special. They simply have no respect.

Some of you are forgetting the special things that can arise out of relationships with studios and following the laws. Case in point, here are some examples of doing right by the rights holders:

-- Access to a wealth of master which often contain a good deal of material not on inferior sources or bootleg sources, and entirely dropped score.

-- Rejected scores not previously known, dropped songs, an entire alternate original score take ("Alien", "Back to the Future", others to varying degrees of amounts).

-- First generation, second generation tapes, which, depending on age and medium recorded on, can be in such fantastic shape and to provide sonic clarity that cannot be achieved from LP transfer and badly sourced or aged tapes.

-- Dicovery. Some of you have forgotten what searching for one score have yielded: finding masters previously thought lost or destroyed, that DCM would not have had. Finding previously lost or thought destroyed tapes to other scores while in the search for one. Getting in contact with composers, musicians, etc., that yield other finds and leads. The world of bootleg material doesn't encompass everything, neither does old LP releases. Just the passed few months Intrada releases two scores just two years prior they said they could not locate master tapes to.

-- Establishing relationships. These have fostered unprecidented access to the Disney vaults, Universal vaults, other vaults. They have produced things that would NEVER have been possible under a label like DCM. And we are continuously witnessing the results, be it older releases, or the occassional new score for a tie-in, as Intrada does sometimes (and stated will happen more).

-- AFM fees*. Why have we been getting all this impossible music? These longer releases from labels like Varese (whether you like it or not)? Labels like Varese and Film Score Monthly played ball and did things the legal way and were able to negociate new re-use fees and even changes to the FSM re-use years ago. All of you own the fruits of these labors In the future, Intrada could ahieve something like that with the Canadian Musician's Union, and they and other labels could also negociate new fees for other country's music unions (where presant). This can also lead to more masters discovery.

A grey area isn't an invitation to do as you wish just because you can. It gets you only as far as poorly sourced releases you want to crank out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Couldn't disagree more. They're perfectly entitled to release it according to the laws of their land. Not everyone in the world has to abide by American laws, much though a lot of Americans seem to want them to. This isn't a grey area, it's crystal clear. It would have been a legitimate release.

Personally, I'd rather take a remastered, deluxe edition of The Diary of Anne Frank - a wonderful score - than a re-release of the LP - but there isn't one of those available (yet). It's a shame that certain people take a holier-than-thou attitude (which is inexplicable given the things they have done themselves in the past) and it could intimidate a label into cancelling a CD release that would have made a lot of people very happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Using other countries grey area laws is an excuse to work around what's right. FSM, Lukas, is right.

And yet another feeble excercise in trying to impose America-centric copyright concepts on the rest of the world using a massive amount of arguments that have fuck-all to do with what's "right".

Every single reason you bring to the table has everything to do with being put over a barrel because massively powerful lobbyists extending, expanding and twisting the original concept and intention of copyright (protecting a creator and his work) beyond all recognition, have made sure that laws are created, maintained and extended to the purpose of massive industry standards that will squeeze money out of property. Not creation.

If you accept the law as it stands (in America!), then fine. In which case you deserve to still have to pay top dollar for material that should have been in the public domain for decades.
    But that premise is ludicrous to me.

But the TRULY disturbing factor is that Americans KEEP on harping about "grey areas" for NO reason other than that any laws that do not completely and explicitly confirm to American standards are deemed incapable of being valid in their own right. In other words: foreign national law and international law are irrelevant when not American.
    A deeply disturbing attitude, all the more because so many seemingly smart people actually buy INTO it!

In fact, most copyright laws in the western world are LONG due for an overhaul and update.
    American copyright laws currently serve to stifle creativity and maximise profit -as said- for owners (not creators).
    And that is not a grey area.
    That is wrong.
  17. Well, you can think that, but LLLR, FSM, Intrada, Kritzerland, Varese, they all seem to know something you don't.

Posted yesterday at FSM by SAE in regards to the final FSM release, 250:

I'll let the disappointed start coping now...

It is NOT The Ten Commandments.

The final FSM was announced to hopefully be out this month, but so far this month is nearly over and only six days remain startign tomorrow.

The speculation is now on as to which label is doing "The Ten Commandments". It's not FSM, it's not Kritzerland, and Intrada's plate seems to be way too full. I suspect LLLR, especially considering their list of some composers who will be in their releases this year, includes "Bernstein". Full list:

WILLIAMS
    GOLDSMITH
    ELFMAN
    HORNER
    KAMEN
    ZIMMER
    HOWARD
    TIOMKIN
    WALKER
    BERNSTEIN
    SNOW
    ARNOLD
    MORRIS
    EDELMAN
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    Not everyone in the world has to abide by American laws, much though a lot of Americans seem to want them to. This isn't a grey area, it's crystal clear. It would have been a legitimate release.

Personally, I'd rather take a remastered, deluxe edition of The Diary of Anne Frank - a wonderful score - than a re-release of the LP - but there isn't one of those available (yet). It's a shame that certain people take a holier-than-thou attitude (which is inexplicable given the things they have done themselves in the past) and it could intimidate a label into cancelling a CD release that would have made a lot of people very happy.

yeah
    Jolly well and utterly correctly put, and more succinctly than I did.
    (Which in itself generally isn't too hard, mind.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, you can think that, but LLLR, FSM, Intrada, Kritzerland, Varese, they all seem to know something you don't.

An odd statement.
    These American companies adhere to American law. As they should.
    As disturbing and odd the basis of these laws may be to the rest of the world.
  18. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    HAWK THE SLAYER

This will have limited appeal to many here but I've always loved this Harry Robertson score, infectious fun and catchy, love it and will have to order cool Those who like their fantasy scores full of huge orchestras and mighty choirs should steer well clear wink

shocked Amazingly this is quite a bit of good fun!
    ...if one is indeed able to put the music in the context of the era... shame

Ordered!

I just saw the film. The music reminded me greatly of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" that was released two years earlier.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I had very much the same echoes, Captain. Which kind of enhanced the appeal, interestingly!
  19. On the subject of geography and releases, it has always baffled me as to why there is geographic restrictions on some digital releases but not on CDs?
  20. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

Available Until Feb 25 2013 Or While Supplies Last!

Tobruk (Bronislau Kaper)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6790/.f

The War Wagon (Dimitri Tiomkin)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6789/.f