• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010
    which movie ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    He means, on which of Zimmer's projects did his music best complement the film? Which of his many scores best served their intended purpose as a film score, rather than as a standalone listening experience?

I'm tempted to say At World's End...horrible plot construction, the music is the only thing that makes it feel like something important is going on, and thus makes it fun to watch.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2010 edited
    Hmm. I wouldn't go for a score that makes a bad film that bit more fun to watch. I'd go for The Thin Red Line. Watched it recently again, and it's really amazing how his score attaches to the film and heightens it's emotions and ethereal quality. The sound he created for the film is simply spot on. Brilliant. If I hear someone rage about Zimmer's popular and bombastic sound, I always refer to this score as proof that he can do so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010
    THE THIN RED LINE is my top example. It's a perfect score, frame-by-frame.
  1. I would also like to add Thelma & Louise to the list of scores that match their film. The music is so wonderful in that film.

Such a shame it still hasn't been officially released. And the film is 24 carat gold!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010 edited
    Hehe...

"Confirmed: Hans Zimmer Is Scoring Zack Snyder's SUPERMAN! Promises A "Reinvention"!"

Discuss!

*leans back and watches while everyone draws rayguns and starts firing wildly into the crowd"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    I like it!

I hope it's nothing like the Williams score and provides a fresh perspective on the hero, like he did with the BATMAN franchise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    woot!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, that was it. All of his enemies are going to mortally hate him after this wink

You knew this was coming, but now it's official: Zack Snyder's SUPERMAN will not be carrying over John Williams's iconic main theme, first heard in Richard Donner's 1978 film and resurrected for Bryan Singer's 2005 continuation. Snyder has instead enlisted Hans Zimmer to score his top-down reinvention of the DC Comics superhero.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Ugh. I really, really hate this. Not that they're not using John Williams' material or Zimmer, but ultimately he'll just provide something as underwhelming as his Batman scores. Superman is rooted in a key Americana symphonic sound, no matter if his actions were scored by Williams or Shirley Walker.

Excuse me while Justin and I grab our ray guns...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores and whilst i know it's not a popular opinion, i'd take a Zimmer re-vision on Superman a thousand times over the generic yawn-inducing crap that John Ottman put out whose only highlight was the fantastic re-recording of the John Willams' theme.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    On the other hand, I like how Zimmer is scoring Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -- as long as it's as good as the third film's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    “It's a hard one,” mused Zimmer, “but I followed one of the most iconic things on 'Batman' with Chris as well, and it's the same thing. You are allowed to reinvent, but you have to try to be as good or at least as iconic and it has to resonate and it has to become a part of the zeitgeist. That's the job. On 'Gladiator' I remember people always talking about 'Spartacus' and I kept telling them, 'When you saw "Spartacus" and how it affected it you, that's how I want a modern audience to be affected by what we do now.' So I think ultimately you're supposed to reinvent.”
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores[...]

I really beg to differ. It's Zimmer's mixture of his Ring score with a dash of Thin Red Line and Crimson Tide. I will admit I enjoyed Batman Begins as a pure guilty pleasure, but all the good stuff in The Dark Knight was temped music from BB and Howard's Harvey Dent theme. His idea for the Joker was lazy but effective.

There's still time for Zimmer to get off the project and have someone better (like John Powell) doing the Superman score. Powell is the only ex-RC member I see doing a good, different Superman theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well. It could have been worse. Tyler Bates.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Christodoulides wrote
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores and whilst i know it's not a popular opinion, i'd take a Zimmer re-vision on Superman a thousand times over the generic yawn-inducing crap that John Ottman put out whose only highlight was the fantastic re-recording of the John Willams' theme.

I sign every word, including the last statement. Listening to the classic theme again in front of a big screen while the effects machine went overload showing one cool planet after another WAS fantastic. But beside that and some other renditions of the classic material, the new stuff just seemed to fade into the background, unimportant and soon to be forgotten.

And if there´s one thing you can say about a Zimmer score, then that it´s not going to fade into the background. ^^

But I´ll give you that: It´s a really, really, really tricky thing. Superman is a great character, but obviously too PC driven for times like these. For this to work, every aspect of the movie has to deliver. If this fails, Zimmer will be fine. But the Superman myth may die very painfully with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If the film is reimagined too, and nothing like the sunny optimism and Americana feel of the previous films, then why should the score channel Williams?

In fact, it would feel out-of-place.

I think Zimmer's score will answer wonderfully to whatever style Snyder provides (although, to be fair, I've not been very impressed by what Snyder has done so far), but time will tell.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    If the film is reimagined too, and nothing like the sunny optimism and Americana feel of the previous films, then why should the score channel Williams?

In fact, it would feel out-of-place.

I think Zimmer's score will answer wonderfully to whatever style Snyder provides (although, to be fair, I've not been very impressed by what Snyder has done so far), but time will tell.

"If the film is reimagined too, and nothing like the sunny optimism and Americana feel of the previous films, then why should the score channel Williams?"

Agree with every word. It's Zack Snyder. Look at the man's work.

But tell that to film music fans wink That music has to follow the picture first and then our tastes and anticipations wink

Matt C wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Underwhelming as his Batman scores? Well, he re-invented the genre with those scores[...]

I really beg to differ. It's Zimmer's mixture of his Ring score with a dash of Thin Red Line and Crimson Tide. I will admit I enjoyed Batman Begins as a pure guilty pleasure, but all the good stuff in The Dark Knight was temped music from BB and Howard's Harvey Dent theme. His idea for the Joker was lazy but effective.

There's still time for Zimmer to get off the project and have someone better (like John Powell) doing the Superman score. Powell is the only ex-RC member I see doing a good, different Superman theme.

Not at all. It's an extension of his own compositional style indeed, but the way everyone uses that music, style and even plagiarizes those scores since their release (which also affected some film-making too) proves the re-invention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't you like it how every major Zimmer project brings life again to the interwebs, instantly? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010 edited
    It's coming to a point where I just don't care anymore. At least I have Donner's classic film and Williams' masterful score to fall back on. No one can take that away from me. And there is no way Snyder and Zimmer can capture the magic of the original film the way THIS does!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    It's coming to a point where I just don't care anymore. At least I have Donner's classic film and Williams' masterful score to fall back on. No one can take that away from me. And there is no way Snyder and Zimmer can capture the magic of the original film the way THIS does!

-Erik-

^
    FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm even going to award myself 1000 kudos points for the most appropriate use of the word 'FACT!' I've ever used.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You deserve them, Timmer! By the way, I could watch that Superman main title on an endless loop! Best main title of time...?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's up there, it's definitely up there!
  2. Because I don't know the stories so well. Is there a very dark stint to Superman or not really? I mean doing Batman as a troubled, even mentally, hero seems to quite make sense, even Burton - the master of Gothic darkness made a movie about him.

But Superman? What are they going to do with him?? Martijn, Erik, Timmer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... they did do some really dark stuff with Superman in the 1990's. I can recall the shocking Doomsday story line (Superman's Death) that was very, very dark. That might make for a good story line for this new film but I have a bad feeling that they are going to do the origin story again... with lots of slow motion. rolleyes

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik, Watchmen was a huge step-up from Zack Snyder's previous films. There were only several slow-mo shots throughout (compared to several dozen in 300), and it was ambitious, plot-driven and visually stunning. And it was probably what swayed Chris Nolan to ask Snyder to direct the new Superman movie IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Matt C wrote
    Erik, Watchmen was a huge step-up from Zack Snyder's previous films. There were only several slow-mo shots throughout (compared to several dozen in 300), and it was ambitious, plot-driven and visually stunning. And it was probably what swayed Chris Nolan to ask Snyder to direct the new Superman movie IMO.

This is what I was thinking when Zack was announced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote

I'd say step-down wink It looked more like a regular movie though but plot-wise: BAM!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I doesn't have to be dark. But there are any number of ways to approach the source material that is different from previous versions. I'm excited to see what they can come up with, even though I hated WATCHMEN as a film.
    I am extremely serious.