• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    It's impossible to keep track of those inception discussions! Thanks for the confirmation Bob. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Yes, it is rather boring.

Though sometimes it's relevant to a discussion. Sometimes the influence is so strong, or so important to the music, it's odd not to mention it. But Jordi takes it WAY too far.

The problem is, if you keep reading about the same comparisons (and they are often repeated a lot), you ultimately find yourself looking for it. And once you've found a certain connection, you're keeping it in mind, you can't help it. And that's diminishing the enjoyment of the score.

Like the so-called Night at the Opera reference in Inception; it's so vague it could easily be a coincidence (also since the film never got a temp track, unless they set a tempscore to a scriptreading), and I never would've picked up on it myself. But Clemensen mentioned it, then others kept repeating it, and now that I know what moment is supposed to be a 'copy/paste' of it, it keeps popping up in my head, damnit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Couldn't agree more beer

I have been a huge fan of Vangelis in my teenage years. I also love most of Zimmer's stuff and of course portions of film music. The above is bollocks to me; just shut the fuck up and - if you're not going to do so yourself, please LET OTHERS enjoy the music instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I noticed the Night at the Opera reference straight away (there's a similarity there I think).

I just a) don't mind it, in fact I enjoy it and b) don't find much to discuss. It is what it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    Hans Zimmer on manipulating Edith Piaf for 'Inception': 'It's how you get from one dream level to the next''

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b … e-nex.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I noticed the Night at the Opera reference straight away (there's a similarity there I think).

Can't really say I hear it myself.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Can't really say I hear it myself.

^
    Class!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Right. So that is basically what I've mentioned on several occasions on here already. Also that it is credited as such in the booklet of the soundtrack. So, yes, he did this on purpose, and no, it isn't exactly kept a secret. Unless everybody downloads the score. So, how everybody is treating it as some 'big reveal' is quite revealing in a whole other way.

How very true! where's the light bulb emoticom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hm, okay if it's like that then i am obviously wrong. Blame it on Jordi my friend, i am fed up with this kind of discussions.

What I exactly did? dizzy

----

----

----
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Inception.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Right. So that is basically what I've mentioned on several occasions on here already. Also that it is credited as such in the booklet of the soundtrack. So, yes, he did this on purpose, and no, it isn't exactly kept a secret. Unless everybody downloads the score. So, how everybody is treating it as some 'big reveal' is quite revealing in a whole other way.

How very true! where's the light bulb emoticom?

I've downloaded the score and make no qualms about it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    Already posted perhaps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

So,is this just freaky talk?

Yes. Considering that it's a single note repeated in a very simple pattern, there are probably dozens of songs out there that can be matched up if the speed is changed.

One could do the same with "Il quarto stato" from Morricone's "Novecento". The pattern is the same. It's just played by strings, so wouldn't work as well as the Piaf song.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hans Zimmer on manipulating Edith Piaf for 'Inception': 'It's how you get from one dream level to the next''

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b … e-nex.html

Ah, I was wrong then.

Peter smile
  1. 40+ comments on Zimmer - and, I assume, on Inception.

I saw the film yesterday and I found that the music was very intrusive. And it only really worked - i.e., added to the film - during the tense moments when it was used to enhance those moment.

But other than that it was just ambient noise and didn't really do anything. I couldn't help thinking back to the "good old days" when I'd listen to something like Horner's Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan going through the tracks, lining up all the musical "hits" with the onscreen escapades. But, where's that in a score like Inception? It's just filler compared to something like Horner's score.

A sad state of affairs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Although I'd take Horner's score over Zimmer's in a heartbeat, I've never felt that Inception should be a 'traditional' score like that. Although overbearing at times during the film (due to Zimmer and Nolan's lack of diligence for musical spotting), for the most part I think it works rather well - although I can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Overall I enjoy the album more than hearing it in the film... but then there are moments in the film where the music really shines (IMO).

And now I'm going to go listen to Wrath of Khan because it's awesome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wrath of Khan is FARRRRRRRRRRRRR more awesome! punk

I really enjoy the Inception album but I've yet to see the film, probably next week?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    Where would a traditional film score fit in a movie like inception? Let's not be egoistical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Let's not be egoistical.

Let's not devote one's self to one's own interests and advancements? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Where would a traditional film score fit in a movie like inception? Let's not be egoistical.

Eh?

Steven is just saying that Khan is more awesome and he was playing it, nothing about that kind of score being written for Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010 edited
    To be fair to D, I think he was referring to Alan's thoughts. wink

Still, I'm not sure what egoism has got to do with anything! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Couldn't disagree more with you, Alan. I found it to be totally engrossing and hypnotic, an "insistant" quality that no socalled traditional, symphonic score would be able to create.

I've never understood the desire to apply one's musical preferences to a film, irrespective of WHAT that film is actually about and how it wants to convey its message/mood/etc. One should always see the film (and its music) on its own terms.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I was and yes, whatever one director / composer do, there will always be film score fans who will be disappointed 'cause they usually want to hear variations on one style for each 'big' movie which is pretty unfair imo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You do have a point D, I remember when film score fans were pissed off that BLADERUNNER was going to be scored by Vangelis rather than Jerry Goldsmith ( and I was one of them ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I was and yes, whatever one director / composer do, there will always be film score fans who will be disappointed 'cause they usually want to hear variations on one style for each 'big' movie which is pretty unfair imo.

Yes, but... you do realise that egoism is the practice of talking and thinking about oneself excessively because of an undue sense of self-importance or an ethical theory that treats self-interest as the foundation of morality and has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, right? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    You do have a point D, I remember when film score fans were pissed off that BLADERUNNER was going to be scored by Vangelis rather than Jerry Goldsmith ( and I was one of them ).

Yeap, and that ended being one of modern cinema's milestones wink

Imo, we should just accept the artists' vision and what they want to do, especially in these cases where by general agreement they did something which is actually pretty good; Inception is not a problematic case, say like 'clash of the titans' for instance where almost everyone agrees that a lot could be done way better, regardless the style. Nolan is an artist with a very unique vision; just sit back and enjoy what he does which is arguably way above the norm. I too would like to hear kick ass big bold orchestras all the time (which film score nut wouldn't?) but it's just not the way it is; the art is changing media and the whole wide world is changing and so is music; some decide to stick to the older values and re-invent those, others decide to depart and go experiment in other ways. I say both is completely respectable; let's not stick to our tastes alone and bang the same bell all the time wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, but... you do realise that egoism is the practice of talking and thinking about oneself excessively because of an undue sense of self-importance or an ethical theory that treats self-interest as the foundation of morality and has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, right? biggrin

Or thinking about and sticking to one's tastes and desires, what one would like to hear instead. Read my comment above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I understand what you're saying, I'm just not entirely sure you can use it in that sense? It's more about self-importance than adhering to your tastes. I've certainly never come across that semantic version of the word. confused

Anyway, Alan is more than welcome to want to hear what he would prefer to hear (which is like saying the sky is blue). I just don't agree that the Inception score is a bad one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know i know, it's not about Alan per se, it's more like a start for more general thoughts; but yeah, why wouldn't we include the obsession with our very own tastes as part of what egoism is anyway? It makes perfect sense, at least to me, and who hasn't caught themselves doing this at one point or another? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    why wouldn't we include the obsession with our very own tastes as part of what egoism is anyway?

Perhaps, very loosely I'd say. But the word is generally related to self-importance and selfishness (pretty much the opposite of Alan), so that's why it seemed an odd choice of word. dizzy

Pertinacious may have been the better option!

....what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Inception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, and i said it's not about Alan whom i've met in person anyway wink