• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Where's this vacation Hanzi said he was going to take?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. RIGHT NOW? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    I'm really looking forward to this too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009 edited
    The game is released in november. He / them has / have two months to do the job. They better do it right.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009 edited
    Anyone noticed that the 160BPM track from Angels & Demons is an evolution of the Chase theme from The Peacemaker? I was completely blown away by this epiphany.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    Yup, there are a lot of similarities in the style of those two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah, similar progression of notes and rhythms, but more "complex" and, similar to his theme suites on POTC:AWE, very well developed. I love its usage in the movie and how it moves the action along so efficiently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    lp wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah, similar progression of notes and rhythms, but more "complex" and, similar to his theme suites on POTC:AWE, very well developed. I love its usage in the movie and how it moves the action along so efficiently.

It is more similar to "first born theme" tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Also similar to Watergate in Frost/Nixon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Also similar to Watergate in Frost/Nixon.

Mmmm... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Watergate is more minimalistic. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    lp wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It is more similar to "first born theme" tongue

Nah, it's more like, the Peacemaker "Chase" theme + First Born choir = MAGIC = 160BPM. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Watergate is more minimalistic. wink

Watergate is more like The Ring, IMO, but without the dark dread.
  3. For Zimmer haters:

This one features one of additional writers defining the process. Thanks to Mikael's www.moviescoremagazine.com for the link smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For Zimmer haters:

This one features one of additional writers defining the process. Thanks to Mikael's www.moviescoremagazine.com for the link smile

Interesting. I assume the article isn't actually completely correct, in that surely that isn't Zimmer's process for ALL his scores. (I can see it on the POTC scores but not, say, Frost/Nixon.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009 edited
    Repost. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For Zimmer haters:

Interesting. I assume the article isn't actually completely correct, in that surely that isn't Zimmer's process for ALL his scores. (I can see it on the POTC scores but not, say, Frost/Nixon.)

Frost/Nixon has more "centrepieces" as they call it, I think. Zimmer is actually credited as the co-orchestrator in the film's credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nice article! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    For Zimmer haters:

Agree. I think we all know Zimmer's process of compositon change from project to project. He can be so lazy to only compose one theme and then he can arrange and perform almost the whole tracks of one album

Dead Man's Chest is obviously a great example of Zimmer composing "suites" and then leaving to other composers adapt the music into the movie are sub-themes. But Frost/Nixon, Matchstik men or the last Samurai are more scores where Zimmer writtes, arranges and even perform himself (yes, always with some little help)

A good example of all this are "The Da Vinci Code" and "angels and Demons". While in the first Zimmer composed suites and his additional composers adapted it into the movie, "Angels and Demons" seems more Zimmer performing with synthetiser and playing with sampled chorus while he was watching the movie.

then we have scores performeds by Zimmer (Beyond Rangoon, Spirit ), Jam Sessions (Black hawk Down, The Holiday), more traditionals in process (The Thin Red line, the prince of egypt, as good as it gets ), where he only composes one theme or two (The Rock, M:I2 ) , where he only gives ideas (the pledge) , Remote Control parties (The Simpsons, Madagascar), Disasters (Pearl harbor, Road to El dorado) or half and half (tears of the sun, when the additional composers did 1 or 2 minutes cues, and then he composed and arranged long cues)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Disasters (Pearl harbor, Road to El dorado)

Pearl Harbor in the same league as Road to El Dorado? confused No way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pearl harbor is a disaster? No way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pearl harbor is a disaster? No way.

A disaster in terms of composition process.

Searching for the love theme, co composers and arrangers working in a lot of cues to order the finish the score, unfinished orchestrations in a lot of cues, Zimmer "drinking" of Gladiator stuff, awful soundtrack realease...

PS:If you ask me, a disaster as a score too. Saving the 3 main themes and the "airborne" track , wich in fact is peacemaker without electronics, the rest is disjointed, souless and forced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I love it; the themes are unoriginal but very effective and memorable. It's very influenced by his work on Gladiator at the time, as other works that he released around that time-spot too, but i think all the bash it's getting it's too much. THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is much crappier for instance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the bits that sound like John Barry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I love it; the themes are unoriginal but very effective and memorable. It's very influenced by his work on Gladiator at the time, as other works that he released around that time-spot too, but i think all the bash it's getting it's too much. THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is much crappier for instance.

I agree. I love Pearl Harbor (no matter who composed this, who arranged that and who orchestrated the other one). If something, a RC party. But a great one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree. I love Pearl Harbor (no matter who composed this, who arranged that and who orchestrated the other one). If something, a RC party. But a great one.

I find really uninspired Zimmer reprises of "Journey to the line" , "might of rome" and specially "am I not merciful ?" in that score. they are really souless.

Anyway, "Tenesse" and " I kissed him" are some of the most beautiful themes by Zimmer.

PS: I remember when in the official movie site posted 3 tracks (No clips) and one of those was the opening track with an heroic version of the "brothers" theme. I'm still wondering why the hell was not in the soundtrack.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    PS: I remember when in the official movie site posted 3 tracks (No clips) and one of those was the opening track with an heroic version of the "brothers" theme. I'm still wondering why the hell was not in the soundtrack.

Who cares....it was in the bootleg....some years later, as well as the complete 9 minutes "War" cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Who cares....it was in the bootleg....some years later, as well as the complete 9 minutes "War" cue.

No, it's not in the bootleg. (well, maybe it is in the Booleg with Fx, wich in that case I'm not familiar with)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PEARL HARBOUR is one of the most clichéed, overblown, saccharine, bloated pieces of music I've ever heard from Zimmer's pen. At least in the movie. I'm not sure how it holds up on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    No sound FX.