• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    It'd be nice perhaps.....but surely boring wink

Maybe, but it´s a debate that is reopened every single time Zimmer produces a score. Now that is boring.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Problem is, the haters love to hate and ruin the fun for the lovers. It´s all that´s left for them, isn´t it...? Or is it?

Are you saying that your appreciation of a score is somehow governed by how other people feel about it!?

As long as Zimmer keeps stripping the creation of film music down to the most banal, unintellectual, facile way possible, I will keep commenting on it, and I'm sorry for those who are irritated by it, but believe me your irritation is nothing compared with my irritation over the way something which means so much to me has been ruined by this individual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no, nobody is irritated. It's fun wink And you make some very good points.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    As long as Zimmer keeps stripping the creation of film music down to the most banal, unintellectual, facile way possible

rolleyes
    The Dark Knight, Pirates 3, The Da Vinci Code, The Holiday, Spanglish, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down, The Thin Red Line, The Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Radio Flyer, Backdraft.....yeah, banal, unintellectual and facile all of them

Southall wrote
    believe me your irritation is nothing compared with my irritation over the way something which means so much to me has been ruined by this individual.

Damn you are one of those "Zimmer has ruined music forever, all composers are gonna retire themselves to a deep cave in the mountains and will not compose ever again!"
    Come on, nothing is / has been ruined by nobody.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In a ( Hollywood ) world of cloned films what you need is cloned scores which is why we have been blessed with Hans Zimmer and his armies.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    As much as i like Zimmer and his music, "Hanzi Zimmer and his troops" by Marc Shaiman is possibly the cleverest and most spot-on thing anyone said in the film music world! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    As much as i like Zimmer and his music, "Hanzi Zimmer and his troops" by Marc Shaiman is possibly the cleverest and most spot-on thing anyone said in the film music world! biggrin

Yes, the man behind Patch Adams ( rolleyes ), Sister Act ( rolleyes ), The Kid ( rolleyes ) or George of the Jungle ( rolleyes ).
    Said that, I also laughed with that song, the truth be told.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bla bla bla......

A zimmer discussion again....bla bla bla bla.....

Bla bla bla........

Who cares? Im a Zimmer fan, and Im his most fierce critic.

About the criticism? Well...he is composing almost all the Holywood Blockbusters, he is choosed for real Autors ( Like Nolan ) for his films, he is in this business for 20 years, He always makes steps forwards....He enterntains, he touches you....

he is a genius!

No matter all this discussions from People who are still in the past.

or...Do you think all the people in Hollywood only hires him because he sells cd's???? Come on....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    The Dark Knight, Pirates 3, The Da Vinci Code, The Holiday, Spanglish, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down, The Thin Red Line, The Prince of Egypt, The Lion King, Radio Flyer, Backdraft.....yeah, banal, unintellectual and facile all of them

Yes, most of them are, but things like Iron Man and Transformers are a lot worse, and obviously he's to blame for them too. He's ruined things. If all the other composers just ran into caves, nobody would notice since Hans and co score all the big blockbusters anyway. I never deny that there's good film music around everywhere, but there was a day not so long ago that the best film music was found in the biggest films, and it's that which has been taken away from me by Hans and why I always join in discussions like this. Sadly I fear he has broken things for a very long time to come because of the composing-by-committee approach, which is the real killer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Even more than My top ten greatest composers? Nonsense!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    he touches you....

shocked
    He touches you? Finally the secret has been revealed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Now, don't be like that; Marc Shaiman has written some truly beautiful music among the years, The

The excellent jazz of the Bucket List, the sweeping American President, A Few Good Men , Bogus are all very good and Patch Adams is sweet, so is South Park, he has done some very interesting stuff for the show. And he is a very respected professional in the business, mostly because he makes everyone laugh their asses off wink 'xcept Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Yes, most of them are, but things like Iron Man and Transformers are a lot worse, and obviously he's to blame for them too. He's ruined things. .

Are this Zimmer scores??? I think they are not..

Oh...So Zimmer is guilty to producers wanted and score Like Iron man? The Nazi Holocaust is his fault too....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Now, don't be like that; Marc Shaiman has written some truly beautiful music among the years, The

The excellent jazz of the Bucket List, the sweeping American President, A Few Good Men , Bogus are all very good and Patch Adams is sweet, so is South Park, he has done some very interesting stuff for the show. And he is a very respected professional in the business, mostly because he makes everyone laugh their asses off wink 'xcept Zimmer.

Exactly, I´ve been as unfair as some people is with Zimmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes, most of them are, but things like Iron Man and Transformers are a lot worse, and obviously he's to blame for them too. He's ruined things. If all the other composers just ran into caves, nobody would notice since Hans and co score all the big blockbusters anyway. I never deny that there's good film music around everywhere, but there was a day not so long ago that the best film music was found in the biggest films, and it's that which has been taken away from me by Hans and why I always join in discussions like this. Sadly I fear he has broken things for a very long time to come because of the composing-by-committee approach, which is the real killer.

Now that's the truth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote

The really good music has now moved to smaller productions and of course, Europe; France is producing some real gems during the last few years. This shift of quality isn't necessarily a bad thing imo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes, most of them are, but things like Iron Man and Transformers are a lot worse, and obviously he's to blame for them too. He's ruined things. .

Oh...So Zimmer is guilty to producers wanted and score Like Iron man? The Nazi Holocaust is his fault too....

"The Nazi Holocaust"? What friggin planet are you on idiot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Bla bla bla......

A zimmer discussion again....bla bla bla bla.....

Bla bla bla........

Who cares? Im a Zimmer fan, and Im his most fierce critic.

About the criticism? Well...he is composing almost all the Holywood Blockbusters, he is choosed for real Autors ( Like Nolan ) for his films, he is in this business for 20 years, He always makes steps forwards....He enterntains, he touches you....

he is a genius!

No matter all this discussions from People who are still in the past.

or...Do you think all the people in Hollywood only hires him because he sells cd's???? Come on....

At least we are discussing mate, as in valid, organized and logical arguments instead of "blah blah blahs and POTC is my catnip"-isms tongue kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

You know what he means mate wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Everyone who has a problem with Zimmer seems to ignore (or just bash for some reason or other) his brilliant scores like Lion King, Prince Of Egypt, Da Vinci Code and Thin Red Line and continually go on about his synth-and-guitar scores. While I do agree that these are not at all upto the mark of the earlier scores, you cannot deny that Zimmer, though he does have a preference for synths and electronics sadly, does give each film what it needs. Say, for Transformers (which, BTW, is by Jablonsky, but still...), I don't think a Golden age score like, say, Ben Hur would fit, no matter how brilliant they are (don't get me wrong, I LOVE those). The "plaigarising" is inevitable since the MV composers work together, but still methinks Transformers worked very well both on screen and CD if you put aside the copy-paste parts, which MANY composers do, not only Zimmer. And synths and guitars would have found their way into modern scores anyway even if it hadn't been for Zimmer, because the score requirement for each movie is different.

I agree if Zimmer used his orchestral sound more than electronics, his scores would've been much better. But then again, no man, composer or not, is perfect. wink

But again, it's only a matter of tastes. I love both old Rozsa/Bernstein and Zimmer/MV scores and enjoy them both, but each in a different way. And to be honest, I NEVER feel Zimmer has harmed film music in any way. Again, just my opinion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Now I remember why this is the longest topic biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

And to think it's not even complete yet shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's not going to, so soon, either I think... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote

Only 6% until the end? But there´s still Madagascar 2 (now this one is going to be fun to discuss) and Angels and Demons this year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    Everyone who has a problem with Zimmer seems to ignore (or just bash for some reason or other) his brilliant scores like Lion King, Prince Of Egypt, Da Vinci Code and Thin Red Line and continually go on about his synth-and-guitar scores. While I do agree that these are not at all upto the mark of the earlier scores, you cannot deny that Zimmer, though he does have a preference for synths and electronics sadly, does give each film what it needs. Say, for Transformers (which, BTW, is by Jablonsky, but still...), I don't think a Golden age score like, say, Ben Hur would fit, no matter how brilliant they are (don't get me wrong, I LOVE those). The "plaigarising" is inevitable since the MV composers work together, but still methinks Transformers worked very well both on screen and CD if you put aside the copy-paste parts, which MANY composers do, not only Zimmer. And synths and guitars would have found their way into modern scores anyway even if it hadn't been for Zimmer, because the score requirement for each movie is different.

I agree that a Golden Age-style score would kill a film like Transformers, but there's an opportunity there (and a really good opportunity - it's a music-friendly film) for a composer to really flex his muscles and show how good a modern film score can be. Not just wallpaper with nothing to say - and it's that "nothing to say" part that hurts me the most. It's just music which happens to appear at the same time as the film, there's no thought that goes into it beyond that.

Those four scores by Zimmer you mention - I've seen three of those films (not Prince of Egypt) and you just happen to have picked the only two Zimmer-scored films which I thought he did a brilliant job on - Thin Red Line and Lion King - but you did also pick Da Vinci Code, whose album is great - but as a film score it's awful.

Anyone is free to like whatever he wants and I don't go on like this to try to influence other people's opinions or suggest they are in any way wrong for believing what they do; but as long as they are free to post their praise, then surely I am free to post my criticism, and the only things that the "keep out of this thread" posts end up doing is inflaming another few pages of posts like this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My not-so-off-the-mark sixth sense tells me at least Angels and Demons is gonna be a treat as long as Zimmer chooses to score it in the vein of The Da Vinci Code. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Southall wrote
    I agree that a Golden Age-style score would kill a film like Transformers, but there's an opportunity there (and a really good opportunity - it's a music-friendly film) for a composer to really flex his muscles and show how good a modern film score can be. Not just wallpaper with nothing to say - and it's that "nothing to say" part that hurts me the most. It's just music which happens to appear at the same time as the film, there's no thought that goes into it beyond that.

I agree, but as I said earlier, he cannot be perfect. And after all the main thing directors want is for the music to fit the film perfectly, and don't care much about its standalone musical identity. So that's what Zimmer mainly accomplishes. Again, just my taste, I don't have a problem with that, as for me many Zimmer scores remain memorable even if they don't have the depth.

And BTW, I think Arrival To Earth is one of the BEST pieces of music I've ever heard!!

Da Vinci Code, whose album is great - but as a film score it's awful.

Interesting vice-versa - music works great on album, sucks on screen! tongue biggrin

Anyone is free to like whatever he wants and I don't go on like this to try to influence other people's opinions or suggest they are in any way wrong for believing what they do; but as long as they are free to post their praise, then surely I am free to post my criticism, and the only things that the "keep out of this thread" posts end up doing is inflaming another few pages of posts like this!

Agreed, and I respect your thoughts for that. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

You know what he means mate wink

Yes I do but a little perspective wouldn't hurt.
  1. Timmer wrote
    In a ( Hollywood ) world of cloned films what you need is cloned scores which is why we have been blessed with Hans Zimmer and his armies.

The Dark Knight is a "cloned" film ? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    I agree that a Golden Age-style score would kill a film like Transformers, but there's an opportunity there (and a really good opportunity - it's a music-friendly film) for a composer to really flex his muscles and show how good a modern film score can be.

May I ask you to name a few good modern film scores?