• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

One of Zimmer best "commercial" works. Heavily melodic, VERY thematic, exciting, with very good orchestrations. Sadly, some of the good music in film is left unreleased, I mean few particularly good versions of Hoist the Colours. I saw the film recently (the whole trilogy in fact) and I am very happy with the functionality of the scores. In the days, or even tonight I will listen to the whole trilogy, in fact.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    THE LOST WORLD | john williams

Just when I started playing this, the forum went a little crazy, and so, I now also live in a lost world of weird acting date times. spin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I played 'Waterloo' on my iPod when I was coming back home for the weekend... walking through Waterloo station! biggrin

F*cking brilliant. punk (Though I must have looked like a twat because I was sure at the time I was actually Jason Bourne. rolleyes )

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Pat wrote
    NP: X-Men 3: The Last Stand - John Powell

One of those albums I never get tired of.

Best wishes to all wave

One of those scores i could only handle playing 5 times overall and never again wink But SPHERE and BEOWULF above?! ROCK-ON! punk

I don't say so....but Xmen 3 is one of those scores that fades with the time.

NP:The Simpsons Movie

I don't remember a so insignificant movie in a long time. it's not bad, it's not good. it's just 80 minutes of your time.

"Why does Everything I whip leave?" is one of the best action tracks from Remote Control (I can't say "from Zimmer" because my sixth sense say is not by him)

Spider Pig...Spider pig...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I played 'Waterloo' on my iPod when I was coming back home for the weekend... walking through Waterloo station! biggrin

F*cking brilliant. punk (Though I must have looked like a twat because I was sure at the time I was actually Jason Bourne. rolleyes )

biggrin

You put me on a bicycle listening to the Bourne scores and you'd think you'd only just learned what a twat looks like.

shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

You put me on a bicycle listening to the Bourne scores and you'd think you'd only just learned what a twat looks like.

shame

I see that Adam Hart Davis around Bristol all the time on his strange bike contraption.......he's a bit of a twat!

NP : KOYAANISQATSI - Philip Glass

Perfect for my mood right now cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008 edited
    I see that Adam Hart Davis around Bristol all the time on his strange bike contraption.......he's a bit of a twat!

Agreed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Stargate: The Deluxe Edition - David Arnold

Just got my hands on the deluxe edition of this soundtrack and let me tell ya the bonus track "Closing Titles (Intro)" is worth the price of this disc alone. A spectacular extension of "Mastadge Drag" that has become the signature theme of this score and the TV series. Stargate, IMHO, is one of the greatest scores of the 90's along with ID4 and Godzilla. 5 star efforts all around.

-Erik-

PS - Watched ID4 for the first time in a long time yesteday and boy oh boy does the score still hold up. I still consider it to be the best score composed in 1996. A spectacular throw back to the big orchestral scores of the late 70's and early 80's. I would love to get my hands on the film version of the final battle though. I love the blaring French Horns when Russell Casse's final missile locks and is unable to fire. I know it's cheesy and all but when The President played by Bill Pullman says "Okay, boys, let's give Mr. Casse some cover. Gentlemen! Let's plow the road!" and Arnold's heroic theme burst in just as the jet fighters zoom into frame and past the camera firing their guns... well, that moment makes me feel like a kid again! I got goosebumps!!! I miss those types of moments in film these days. The last time I felt that way was with Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to David Arnold's Roland Emmerich scores today... and play them loud as all hell. Even my little boy loves it. He is head banging to the music as I write this.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Stargate: The Deluxe Edition - David Arnold

Just got my hands on the deluxe edition of this soundtrack and let me tell ya the bonus track "Closing Titles (Intro)" is worth the price of this disc alone. A spectacular extension of "Mastadge Drag" that has become the signature theme of this score and the TV series. Stargate, IMHO, is one of the greatest scores of the 90's along with ID4 and Godzilla. 5 star efforts all around.

Agree.

About the "intro" it's one of my most played cues ever.

NP:At world's End

In a few minutes I will have here a beautiful music teacher in my work, Does anyokne know some interesting question I could do about At world's End Score for beggin an interesting conversation?

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote

Just when I started playing this, the forum went a little crazy, and so, I now also live in a lost world of weird acting date times. spin

If you have Muppet treasure Island you will notice Williams Ripped a secondary motif from Zimmer for the Lost World theme tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A PATCH OF BLUE - Jerry Goldsmith

Probably JG's most gentle score, lovely and poignant with the most delicate piano and harmonica playing, I could imagine studying antique china to this music.

Soothing cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote

If you have Muppet treasure Island you will notice Williams Ripped a secondary motif from Zimmer for the Lost World theme tongue

Even if that is true (which I highly doubt), do you have to use the word 'ripped'? "Sounds similar", "reminds me of" are both suitable alternatives. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote

Even if that is true (which I highly doubt), do you have to use the word 'ripped'? "Sounds similar", "reminds me of" are both suitable alternatives. slant

Yeah, but "ripped" it's far more like " EXCLUSIVE! WILLIAMS RIPPED ZIMMER!!!" You know...more from the showbusines style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Uh huh...

Hoosiers | Jerry Goldsmith

Yes, this particular Brit is smart enough to know what a Hoosier is rather than call it by its stupid European title. rolleyes

Anyway, great uplifting score. The dodgy 80's synths are perfect for this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Bregt wrote

Example please. Track names please. Timings please.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Im at work, so I don't have any of these scores, but I remember the "lost world theme" appears in the beggining of " the rescue" from Zimmer's muppets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Im at work, so I don't have any of these scores, but I remember the "lost world theme" appears in the beggining of " the rescue" from Zimmer's muppets.

Having listened to it, if that's really the one you mean... that's weak dude! WEAK! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Having listened to it, if that's really the one you mean... that's weak dude! WEAK! tongue

Ultra Weak!

-Erik-
  2. If Williams referred to any piece in the theme really, I would rather for Capricorn One biggrin

But that *is* stretching too far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

There's one bit where I keep expecting it to turn into The Battle of Hoth......that darn Williams, how dare he steal from Empire Strikes Back.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : UNE HIRONDELLE A FAIT LE PRINTEMPS - Philippe Rombi

A long time since I played this one.

I'm sure this score is a fave of somebody on this board I just can't remember who?
  3. Demetris I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

One of Zimmer best "commercial" works. Heavily melodic, VERY thematic, exciting, with very good orchestrations.

Totally agree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris I think.

That's what I was thinking but I'll have to wait for him to confirm that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris I think.

Yeap!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris I think.

Yeap!

Ahhhhh! smile And a lovely score it is at that! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP: Grace Is Gone - Clint Eastwood

Ok, Eastwood is a great director and actor. No question about that, but

I.
    Will.
    Never.
    Ever.
    Listen.
    Another.
    Clint.
    Eastwood.
    Soundtrack.
    Again.

And this was nominated for the golden globe. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HEHEHE! Nuno, more info please biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote

Sadly, some of the good music in film is left unreleased, I mean few particularly good versions of Hoist the Colours.

Yes, there are at least three versions of the Hoist the Colours Theme that are not present in the score cd or even in the suites cd.
    And would be great to have ALL the music of the final battle as it sounds in the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Sadly, some of the good music in film is left unreleased, I mean few particularly good versions of Hoist the Colours.

Yes, there are at least three versions of the Hoist the Colours Theme that are not present in the score cd or even in the suites cd.
    And would be great to have ALL the music of the final battle as it sounds in the movie.

Yeah, But I prefer Zimmer has realeased the suites.

Anyway, How I said this is the only Zimmer score that you can realease the whole music from the movie without notice any single "unfinished" moment.

NP:Empire Strikes Back

Why Williams didn't use the droids theme in ROTJ or the new trilogy? I think this motif is pretty good in every single variation of it!