• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    The Mask Of Zorro | James Horner

This is Horner's Indiana Jones, his Pirates Of The Caribbean. It's got a very recognizable tone, and a very memorable theme. Just brilliant.

The climax of the film works so well because the two Zorros are fighting their mortal enemies. That's what made the film work so brilliantly, and what the second one sorely lacked. The characters just weren't half as interesting than in the first. Horner's 13 minute 'Leave No Witnesses...' just elevates that whole scene to ridiculous levels.... I love it, I LOVE IT!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008
    Atham wrote
    Supergirl is a wonderful score! Goldsmith in fine form! It's good to have both the Varese Sarabande and Silva Screen versions. The re-recorded Varese version has the best version of Monster Storm. It has a richer orchestral sound with less synthy moments than the Silva release.

Was the Varese release a re-recording? I don't think so... I'll have to look into that but if I can remember correctly it was the original soundtrack recording. The difference in sound between the two is that the Varese release used early monitor mixes while the Silva release used the final mixes with all of the elements included, such as synthesizers which are supposed to be there.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

This is Horner's Indiana Jones, his Pirates Of The Caribbean. It's got a very recognizable tone, and a very memorable theme. Just brilliant.

The climax of the film works so well because the two Zorros are fighting their mortal enemies. That's what made the film work so brilliantly, and what the second one sorely lacked. The characters just weren't half as interesting than in the first. Horner's 13 minute 'Leave No Witnesses...' just elevates that whole scene to ridiculous levels.... I love it, I LOVE IT!!!

Is it just me or is trying to read a CD review in this light blue text hard on the eyes? I have perfect vision but I strain trying to read some of these posts in blue text.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    NP ALIEN - Goldsmith

I can't stop listening to this!

This deluxe 2 disc release is brilliant! Although I was expecting better audio quality due to the tapes they found. But that's only a minor gripe. It's still an improvement on the hissy original version!

I think the audio quality is just fine. The amount of detail and clarity heard in this release is unbelievable. Eric Tomlinson's recording has never sounded better.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Sea Wolf-Korngold

I'm going through the three fairly complete recordings I have on Koch, Chandos, and now FSM as well as reading the book. I hold out little hope for being able to see the film again as it is only available on VHS.

The Sea Wolf is a great score by master Korngold. Though I found it hard to embrace the first few times.
    I'm yet to see the film.

Supergirl is a wonderful score! Goldsmith in fine form! It's good to have both the Varese Sarabande and Silva Screen versions. The re-recorded Varese version has the best version of Monster Storm. It has a richer orchestral sound with less synthy moments than the Silva release.

Damn but I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Varese copy of Supergirl slant

I almost did the same with my copy of Williams Close Encounters.....thank feck I didn't!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    All this Indy talk made me hungry. After Desert Chase I'm fully sated again. lick
    What a joy of a score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Return of the Jedi - John Williams
    performed by The National Philharmonic conducted by Charles Gerhardt

This is the non-dolby recording and oh boy oh boy is this ever a revelation. Crystal clear sound with no muffled dolby surround bullshit! One of the finest Star Wars recordings ever. I'm currently listening to the last minute of "Return of the Jedi" aka The Sail Barge Battle which features one of my all time favorite John Williams motifs... the heroic rebel escape motif... or whatever it's called. Amazing that Williams only used that brilliant motif once. Another composer would die to have that as a films main theme and play it over and over again. I too would have loved to hear more of that theme in Jedi but like The Asteroid Field motif it's a signature theme heard only for that one scene. Brilliant!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Is it just me or is trying to read a CD review in this light blue text hard on the eyes? I have perfect vision but I strain trying to read some of these posts in blue text.

-Erik-

Diddums. It stays. Ask Bregt for a darker blue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

It's not just you Erik, I have problems too but my vision isn't perfect and I have to wear glasses for reading.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven simply shows no respect for his elders! angry
    When I was young at least young people just posted in black and white.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven simply shows no respect for his elders! angry
    When I was young at least young people just posted in black and white.

....and BLUE after they got the back of my hand! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a good point though, all the blue things on this forum are too baby blue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Exactly!
    We want an OAP blue!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blue is my favourite colour. Baby blue is one of me least favourite colours, that's why the colour design of this forum hasn't really grown on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But I like babies!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I do NOT. At all. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I do NOT. At all. slant

You will... one day! They are awesome!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do.
    With a bit of curry or worcester sauce. Sautéd, pickled, and served with onions.
    Yum yum!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I
    ADORE
    WORCHESTER SAUCE
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: John Williams' Classic Film Scores - Star Wars and Close Encounters - John Williams

This too is the non-Dolby version and yet is another revelation. I'm hearing stuff in this recording that was muffled in the Dolby mix. This album contains my favorite rendition of Princess Leia's Theme and the best re-recording of all time... the Close Encounters suite. <-- 21 minutes of absolute perfection.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    I
    ADORE
    WORCHESTER SAUCE

Then you must love babies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why confused

Never mind shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Steven wrote
    Blue is my favourite colour. Baby blue is one of me least favourite colours, that's why the colour design of this forum hasn't really grown on me.

There are these moments that it indeed doesn't grow. Perhaps try agian later.

Anyway, the design is not very good I know. I will change that sooner or perhaps not so soon, well, first reviews and all that. The fact is, I like startng to design, but once I progressed a little, the enthousiasm lowers itself and then I end up with someting like this. Plus this design had to go fast. biggrin

Anyway, good of all you to hold it so long, for over 6 weeks now. : cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I do NOT. At all. slant

-Erik-

I'll love MY baby if ever such a thing comes into existence, but I'll still dislike every other baby on the planet! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: John Williams' Classic Film Scores - Star Wars and Close Encounters - John Williams

This too is the non-Dolby version and yet is another revelation. I'm hearing stuff in this recording that was muffled in the Dolby mix. This album contains my favorite rendition of Princess Leia's Theme and the best re-recording of all time... the Close Encounters suite. <-- 21 minutes of absolute perfection.

-Erik-

Erik what parts of Close Encounters that suite have?
    Does it have earlier parts like "Barry's Kidnapping" and "Roy And Gillian On The Road", or is just the final scenes with the aliens?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

'one of ME least favourite colours'

ere kid, you turning Bristolian? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NunoM wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Erik what parts of Close Encounters that suite have?
    Does it have earlier parts like "Barry's Kidnapping" and "Roy And Gillian On The Road", or is just the final scenes with the aliens?

"Barnstorming, Arrival of the Mother Ship, The Pilot's Return, The Visitors, Final Scene." It's spectacular!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I do NOT. At all. slant

-Erik-

I'll love MY baby if ever such a thing comes into existence, but I'll still dislike every other baby on the planet! biggrin

Really? Even with a face like this...
    http://dillusions.netfirms.com/erikwood … 2/0007.jpg

or this
    http://dillusions.netfirms.com/erikwood … 8/0009.jpg

wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He looks very cheeky Erik smile