• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    HEHEHE! Nuno, more info please biggrin

What can i say.
    Almost every track is based around the melody of one song, Grace is Gone.
    If you dont like that song i'm sure you won't like the rest.
    Every track plays the theme for a piano, or a guitar, piano, guitar, piano, guitar, and them a trumpet, but again a piano, a guitar.....
    And there is little more beyond that theme. So it tends to be a very simple and repetitive score in the end.
    Maybe it's effective on the picture, but i didn't see the movie to judge myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like every Eastwood score then wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    That's why,
    I.
    Will.
    Never.
    Ever.
    Listen.
    Another.
    Clint.
    Eastwood.
    Soundtrack.
    Again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Darfour Now (Graeme Revell)

Nothing particularly amazing, but a nice background listening experience (lots of percussion, vocals and ethnic instruments) with some highlights among its 21 tracks.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marcel, what kind of mood does it build?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

Brilliant themes... even the one slightly borrowed from Legend of the Fall... melodic pulse pounding action music, a brilliant finale cue and one of the best end credit suites of all time. Arnold won the 1996 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture with this score. IMHO, 1996's best score.

Superb!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

Brilliant themes... even the one slightly borrowed from Legend of the Fall... melodic pulse pounding action music, a brilliant finale cue and one of the best end credit suites of all time. Arnold won the 1996 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture with this score. IMHO, 1996's best score.

Superb!!!

-Erik-

Do you have the complete score Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb!!!

-Erik-

I do! I'm listening to a 62 minute edit of the 2CD set right now.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Superb!!!

-Erik-

I do! I'm listening to a 62 minute edit of the 2CD set right now.

-Erik-

My edit comes to 66 minutes:

1. 1969 - Main Title
    2. Cropduster
    3. The Destroyers Detatch
    4. Evacuation - Firestorm
    5. Base Attack - Canyon Chase
    6. Spaceship From Roswell
    7. Nuke Attack - Reunions
    8. The First Lady Dies
    9. David Gets An Idea
    10. Planning The Attack
    11. International Code
    12. The Wedding
    13. The President's Speech
    14. Farewell - Launching The Ship
    15. Liftoff - Mothership - Rebellion
    16. Jolly Rodger
    17. Independence Day
    18. End Titles

..I'm sorry, even talking about it has given me a scoregasm.
  1. Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Sadly, some of the good music in film is left unreleased, I mean few particularly good versions of Hoist the Colours.

Yes, there are at least three versions of the Hoist the Colours Theme that are not present in the score cd or even in the suites cd.
    And would be great to have ALL the music of the final battle as it sounds in the movie.

Yes, when it comes to Hoist the Colours I would particularly want to hear the arrangement right before the Brethren Court theme.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Sadly, some of the good music in film is left unreleased, I mean few particularly good versions of Hoist the Colours.

Yes, there are at least three versions of the Hoist the Colours Theme that are not present in the score cd or even in the suites cd.
    And would be great to have ALL the music of the final battle as it sounds in the movie.

Yes, when it comes to Hoist the Colours I would particularly want to hear the arrangement right before the Brethren Court theme.

Yes that´s one of the arrangements I was talking about, being the other two present in the final battle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marcel, what kind of mood does it build?

Well, not the most technical explanation Demetris, but is the kind of score one can expect for a documentary.
    The thing is in my second listen the music is growing on me. Not specially impressed yet, but there are certain cues really touching and well constructed (specially those with percussion, vocals and the full string section playing at once).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote

And the worst of all...the version of the love theme that plays when a certain main character "dies"...with the chanting choir that transitions into the infamous "parachute theme"...I think that's one of the best little sequences Zimmer has ever composed.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

And the worst of all...the version of the love theme that plays when a certain main character "dies"...with the chanting choir that transitions into the infamous "parachute theme"

Indeed. I loved the choir work combined with the love theme in this particular piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    EDWARD SHEARMUR - reign of fire

One hell of a mind-blowing orchestral beast which also contains what's possibly one of this decade's most outstanding single compositions so far, "meet Van Zan".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2008 edited
    NP: Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra - Michael Kamen
    performed by The National Philharmonic | Tomoyasu Hotei on Guitar

While I would have preferred to hear Eric Clapton on this recording Tomoyasu Hotei does an incredible job... almost mimicking Clapton's signature style. I've heard a live version of this concerto with Clapton performing so Hotei is almost dead on in his performance. The concept for an electric guitar concerto was planted by Eric Clapton during the scoring of Edge of Darkness. The first movement introduces the main melody right away and what a theme it is. Kamen's voice was so distinctive and so were his themes and orchestrations. As the piece moves on it gets bigger and bigger, more complex and more dense. Now, when Kamen goes big, he goes BIG! Orchestra blasts, anvil hits, percussion hits, drum kit, the warmth of the Horns, the piercing sound of the trumpets... it's all there and expertly crafted.

The second movement slows things down before we get to the monstrous and more rock inspired third movement. And just like his Sax Concerto he really let's the soloist show off in the finale movement. There's some really complex guitar playing in this last movement which absolutely blows my socks off. And what a finish that only Kamen was capable of doing. He really knew how to finish his scores and concert works.

The album is rounded off with a suite from Edge of Darkness and an orchestra only version of the guitar concerto's third movement.

This is another sensational concert work by Kamen who continued to push the boundaries of concert music with his nontraditional instrument choices. Interesting note that during this orchestra only version you do hear a second electric guitar used to back the soloist. Very interesting...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008
    Steven wrote
    My edit comes to 66 minutes:

1. 1969 - Main Title
    2. Cropduster
    3. The Destroyers Detatch
    4. Evacuation - Firestorm
    5. Base Attack - Canyon Chase
    6. Spaceship From Roswell
    7. Nuke Attack - Reunions
    8. The First Lady Dies
    9. David Gets An Idea
    10. Planning The Attack
    11. International Code
    12. The Wedding
    13. The President's Speech
    14. Farewell - Launching The Ship
    15. Liftoff - Mothership - Rebellion
    16. Jolly Rodger
    17. Independence Day
    18. End Titles

..I'm sorry, even talking about it has given me a scoregasm.

Just out of interest, is your's any similiar Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mine was...

Prologue
    SETI Radio Signal
    Cropduster
    Evacuation/ Firestrom
    Aftermath
    Base Attack/ Canyon Chase
    Planning The Attack
    International Code
    Pre-Flight Check
    The President's Speech
    Farewell/ Launching The Ship
    Lift Off/ Mothership/ Rebellion
    Jolly Roger
    Independence Day/ Finale
    End Credits

Total Time: 62:33

I would have added others but I only had an hour before I had to wake my son up from his nap so those were the best cues that fit the time frame.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In a similar vein with Shearmur’s awesome Reign of Fire I was playing before, I shifted to ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL’s most-brilliant achievement to date, FINAL FANTASY: the spirits within. The magnitude of this work's complex arrangements, bold themes and overall grand sound is really beyond words; the total amount of awe-inspiring and breathtaking moments is vast. A true, rare masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    A true, rare masterpiece.

You've used this sentence for countless scores. When does rare stop being rare? wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    I used "rare" that much? Gosh i don't recall but if true, i've got to limit that down! biggrin Not in the case of Final Fantasy though 'cause it really is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I used "rare" that much? Gosh i don't recall but if true, i've got to limit that down! biggrin

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I used "rare" that much? Gosh i don't recall but if true, i've got to limit that down! biggrin Not in the case of Final Fantasy though 'cause it really is.

Too true. If someone were to demand that I name my top 5 scores, this would be there.

NP: Supergirl -- Jerry Goldsmith

Great score. We just don't get these big and bold themes anymore, sadly.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I used "rare" that much? Gosh i don't recall but if true, i've got to limit that down! biggrin

biggrin

-Erik-

biggrin

NP: Something other than my clips for Guess the Score - YAY!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: Sea Wolf-Korngold

I'm going through the three fairly complete recordings I have on Koch, Chandos, and now FSM as well as reading the book. I hold out little hope for being able to see the film again as it is only available on VHS.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    sdtom wrote
    NP: Sea Wolf-Korngold

I'm going through the three fairly complete recordings I have on Koch, Chandos, and now FSM as well as reading the book. I hold out little hope for being able to see the film again as it is only available on VHS.

The Sea Wolf is a great score by master Korngold. Though I found it hard to embrace the first few times.
    I'm yet to see the film.

Supergirl is a wonderful score! Goldsmith in fine form! It's good to have both the Varese Sarabande and Silva Screen versions. The re-recorded Varese version has the best version of Monster Storm. It has a richer orchestral sound with less synthy moments than the Silva release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP ALIEN - Goldsmith

I can't stop listening to this!

This deluxe 2 disc release is brilliant! Although I was expecting better audio quality due to the tapes they found. But that's only a minor gripe. It's still an improvement on the hissy original version!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ENNIO MORRICONE - Il cuore nel pozzo

What an absolutely beautiful score, makes for such a warm, passionate listen first thing in the morning...I really hope Peter's not the only who can really understand this.. wink
  3. NP: Far From Heaven (Berstein)

It's been an insanely long time since I listened to this score. A final masterpiece from Bernstein.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ERIC SERRA - Arthur And The Invisibles

A very enjoyable and varicolored fantasy score with beautiful themes and delicate, tender melodic lines which is also tremendously underrated imo.