• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Good old Broken Arrow by HZ !

beer beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Roar! | Michael Giacchino

Holy shit, I now know what you're all talking about! shocked shocked

It.totally.kicks.ass

You simply DON'T hear this kind of stuff today anymore!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP.Heavy Metal (Bernstein)

A masterpiece.

A fantasy score with some apocalyptic feeling, a Conan-like.

Some Ghostbusters moments too...

punk

Thank to Fsm!

It IS a masterpiece! cool

I've got Heavy Metal lined up to play in a while but first...

NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

A brilliant score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - white oleander

One of his most touching and beautiful scores ever, it's a shame so few people know about it. It's the ultimate hidden small gem in his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008 edited
    JOHN WILLIAMS - war of the worlds

One brilliant film score, a massive musical achievement. Anything less than that is simply an understatement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

One brilliant film score, a massive musical achievement. Anything less than that is simply an understatement.

Oooohhh you've tempted me into something else, I'm in the right mood for WOTW so Heavy Metal can wait just a bit longer....

NP : WAR OF THE WORLDS - John Williams

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

zZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... An annoying screenplay adaptation for an impressive direction.

A "grey" score in any aspect.

NP:M:I 3

One Brillitant films and a massive enteratining score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOTW a 'grey' score?

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote

I beg to differ. Some wonderful action cues, but it's certainly not brilliant. sleep
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh it IS brilliant. The musical writing in all its aspects is way above the average film score, the complexity and musical meaning coexisting simultaneously are majestic, the darkness of the music is beyond what you'll usually hear. It's a meaningful, devastating, brooding dark beast of a score only Williams could deliver in the end of the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You certainly have a way with words Demetris! biggrin

Goes without saying that I love War Of The Worlds, film and score. Awesome. Awesome to the max.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Lair (complete) | Debney

There's a real sense of accomplishment when you've been listening to this for two hours straight and you finally reach track 60. This is one f***ing epic score when listened to in full. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    War Of The Worlds rocks! The Intersection Scene is some pretty innovative scoring IMO.

NP: The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

This is, without a doubt, in his top 3 scores. Like the film it accompanies, this music never fails to cheer me up.

kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Lair (complete) | Debney

There's a real sense of accomplishment when you've been listening to this for two hours straight and you finally reach track 60. This is one f***ing epic score when listened to in full. punk

Yeap.

This is for me what LOTR is for a lot of people....Just, IT'S FAR BETTER! beer

The score was with me in Rome. So...an special one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lair far better than LOTR?

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOJCIECH KILAR - we own the night

An offbeat but very charming score by Kilar. That along with IL SOLE NERO were 2 very nice surprises for me last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Lair (complete) | Debney

Yeap.

This is for me what LOTR is for a lot of people....Just, IT'S FAR BETTER! beer

The score was with me in Rome. So...an special one.

Yeah!
    beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

I try not to waste my breath on Jordi's foolishness.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

( biggrin )

Umm...a video game by Debney does not outrank one of the best scored trilogies in the history of man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah Jordi... you are insane. wink While I do REALLY enjoy Lair there aren't too many scores that can out do the LOTR.... especially something as derivative as Lair!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

Thank you FSM kiss beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah Jordi... you are insane. wink While I do REALLY enjoy Lair there aren't too many scores that can out do the LOTR.... especially something as derivative as Lair!

-Erik-

Exactly. Lair is one of those scores that's highly enjoyable despite being nothing new. Throw it on the pile with Sky Captain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Exactly. Lair is one of those scores that's highly enjoyable despite being nothing new. Throw it on the pile with Sky Captain...

Hey hey hey... don't include Sky Captain with Lair. While Sky Captain has a Williamsesque / Golden Age touch it's a very refreshing action adventure score that is one of the decades best and definately contains a lot of Shearmur's very own voice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2008
    NP: Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

One of the rather too many JNH scores which gets very little play-time from me but is really quite excellent nonetheless.

cool
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh it IS brilliant. The musical writing in all its aspects is way above the average film score, the complexity and musical meaning coexisting simultaneously are majestic, the darkness of the music is beyond what you'll usually hear. It's a meaningful, devastating, brooding dark beast of a score only Williams could deliver in the end of the day.

Well, I like my Williams scores with grand, harmonic thematic writing. WOTW is truly an impressive score in terms of orchestration and scope, but it's a bit too atonal and dark for my tastes. But "The Ferry Scene", "Attack on the Car" and "Escape from the City" are some of my favorite Williams action cues. But to each his own.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jumper (The Game) - Chris Tilton
    Just a few tracks in and it's ridiculous how much better it is than Powell's version.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    Jumper (The Game) - Chris Tilton
    Just a few tracks in and it's ridiculous how much better it is than Powell's version.

Yup! But did you catch that entire motif from The Bourne Supremacy in there? (I think it's the first part of the level one music!) biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nim's Island - Patrick Doyle

This one's going to be really popular. It's great!
  2. NP: Roar! (Giacchino)

I can't think of a better phrase than - 'this music is winking at us!' It's interesting to compare this overture - with references to the style of Ifukube - to David Arnold's GODZILLA. Arnold's score is so dead serious, but Giacchino's is having a bit of fun. I know which one I'd take any day.

Thought experiment: if they'd ever had any score in the film, would the makers of CLOVERFIELD have used something so beautifully witty as 'Roar!', or demanded something a lot Arnold-like? I reckon they'd want it played totally seriously. Thank heavens a good composer was given an extensive end credits space to do such a substantial piece, surely one of the best pieces of American film music we'll hear this year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Roar ! Giacchino

so fuc_ing addictive!