• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Indeed, some people ask themselves: 'What would (insert religious figure/icon) do?' I on the other hand ask: 'What would Steven think?'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Doesn't everyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Can we get back to talking about Thomas Newman? (EDIT - Or a topic of your choice?)

Of course.

Maybe the choice of words when i talked about Newman getting back to that quality, was indeed wrong. Maybe it IS more about what i like more in his music instead of objective criteria of quality in the end but then again, that i believe it to be his own original style, totally absent in the Good German.

I've watched the film twice and couldn't help but to feel that what Newman did wasn't really being himself, it was (technically brilliant) imitation, it was emulation of styles beyond his own musical identity, it was something totally different and also felt disconnected to the movie, to me.

Little Children (and here also comes my dislike for the film which admittedly might have biased me against it) simply felt too lazy.

Neither of those works has the spirit and vigor of the older Newman, the newman of Road to Perdition, American Beauty, White Oleander, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption or even stuff like Pay it forward or Lemony Snickets and i really miss that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Some good thoughts there.

Do you think he was being himself in The Horse Whisperer, Little Women (which strongly anticipates the bitonal sound of GG), or Oscar and Lucinda? They're some of the highlight scores which you didn't list.

To me Little Women and GG are cases where we're hearing Thomas Newman merge with a technique that lies outside what people would normally think of as his sound. (This even happened in AiA, in cues like 'Plasma Orgasmata' and 'Black Angel', two very different and new sounds for him.) One reaction is to say - 'well that isn't him.' But another is to say - 'well, that IS him, because he did it. Maybe Thomas Newman is more than we thought.' It would be different if it was thoughtless pastiche, or some line-for-line copy of an older work, but more I listen to GG, the more I hear ideas that call to mind something I might have heard in a complete different setting in another score of his. And to boot, it uses the Steiner sound in a way that's pretty dramatically subtle compared to Steiner. (I think apart from the love theme, my favourite idea in the score is the passage for percussion and brass in 'The Brandenburg Gate' scene - very interesting against the imagery.)

I must confess I've only seen it with the film, but PAY IT FORWARD felt like what LITTLE CHILDREN could have been - a series of riffs on AMERICAN BEAUTY and ERIN BROCKOVICH. And that to me is lazy. LC is a score that took me a while to come round to, but I think if you can burrow into it, there's a lot to find that's very appropriate to the story. (It is more a case of a score that I wouldn't regard so highly if it were in another film where its very construction as music wasn't related to the story.)

NP: Dances with Wolves (Barry)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    That's pure musicianship over there and total knowledge of his material on behalf of Powell. Stop Loss isn't flashy at all but it's certainly very genuine and also very clever. It surprised me, for one.

Couldn´t agree more. I have to admit I´m surprised too. I don´t know what I was expecting, but definitely not this kind of score. So I´m more than happy.
    And the perfect track before I go to sleep: "The Greatest Tragedy"
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have to say while we're talking about Newman that I've come to consider Little Children amongst his very finest. His is such a unique voice in film music - others imitate his musical style, but never have his classy dramatic instincts - and, as Michael touched upon earlier, for him to approach a film like Little Children, which is similar to many other films he has scored, and yet find (again) a new way of tackling the subject is evidence of somebody always worthy of attention and high praise.

I love Angels in America, it's almost certainly my favourite Thomas Newman score, and I hope one day he has chance to explore that side of things again, but I'm happy for him to continue to provide a variety of high-quality work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008 edited
    NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

Not my favourite Newman work, but this is a certainly good one with beautiful themes (I especially like Dory's theme! smile )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    I believe that was me!?

Your words landed deeper than you realised! Every wink now for me is a conscious decision: 'what would Steven think?'

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

or is it...

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! wink

or is it...

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! tongue

or is it...

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

Not my favourite Newman work, but this is a certainly good one with beautiful themes (I especially like Dory's theme! smile )

Quite a nice score but too 'bitty'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    I´m amazed with Powell....I don´t know in which order they were written and recorded...

Stop Loss > P.S., I Love You > Jumper > Horton wink
  3. Are there any films this year that won't be scored by Powell?

I mean, I like the guy's music, but spread the work around! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I know...it's almost worrying that we've had 3 scores from him already (and it's the end of March!), we've got another score release next month, and then he's still got Kung Fu Panda, Hancock and Bolt to score. crazy dizzy

Let's hope this doesn't lead to a quiet year in 2009 where he prepares stuff for 2010.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Most scores this year are composed by Powell, Danna and ofcourse Debney. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    I know...it's almost worrying that we've had 3 scores from him already (and it's the end of March!), we've got another score release next month, and then he's still got Kung Fu Panda, Hancock and Bolt to score. crazy dizzy

Let's hope this doesn't lead to a quiet year in 2009 where he prepares stuff for 2010.

I can't wait for Hankock. The trailer seems hilarious, and will Smith knows what a good script is (well..I am legend, I guess had somes changes in the final shooting).

I played Briefly: "the greatest Tragedy"

What a moving track. Im glad Powell has done a dramatic track leaving his "confort zone". I mean, leaving his percusion (Wich I love, thought )

NP:Aliens (horner)

Hyperspace is one track that I could play again and again...this an epic sound so Similar to Goldsnthals Final Fantasy.....

Sadly Horner will not do this kind of score never again.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Im glad Powell has done a dramatic track leaving his "confort zone". I mean, leaving his percusion (Wich I love, thought )

Um...Going Awol? tongue Oh, never mind. You said ''track'' not ''score''. wink
  4. NP: Princess Mononoke (Hisaishi)

The recent scores for The Sun Also Rises and The Great King's Four Gods have reminded me what a fine composer Hisaishi is of romantic orchestral scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Last Of The Dogmen | David Arnold

An absolute gem of a score for us Arnold fanatics!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

Never heard it! shocked Is it action?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Pretty much, yeah. It's got a wonderful Barryesque main theme (surprise surprise), quite memorable actually.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Pretty much, yeah. It's got a wonderful Barryesque main theme (surprise surprise), quite memorable actually.

I haven't had an Arnold fix for AGES (Godzilla last summer I think). Shall check it out! Electronics and everything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No electronics.

Same theme repeated over and over.

Arnold's weakest score.

IMHO of course.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But whether the theme is good is the question you should ask yourself. wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Barry rip-off. (Dances with Wolves)

EDIT: wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    No electronics.

Arnold's weakest score.

IMHO of course.

Lies, slander! Don't listen to him Anthony, go get your Arnold fix!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    No electronics.

Arnold's weakest score.

IMHO of course.

I shall decicdes for myselfs! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Too much lolcats.com can seriously harm your health mate biggrin kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Too much lolcats.com can seriously harm your health mate biggrin kiss

You've doomsed us all with your lolcats! rolleyes dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    No electronics.

Arnold's weakest score.

IMHO of course.

I picked up my copy for a mere £2......I'm glad I didn't pay more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pfft.

I'll see you in hell buddy. We'll meet up by the unreachable cupcake table...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Pfft.

I'll see you in hell buddy. We'll meet up by the unreachable cupcake table...

Hahaha! biggrin

It's a date.