• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pity, Hard-Boiled is pretty much a masterpiece. But *never* see the American dub, only the Chinese original.

I seen it, didn't like it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Because they're all pomp and no circumstance. His films just aren't very engaging to me. (Except perhaps for Paycheck because of its premise.)

I haven't seen it, darn fine score though!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I prefer a film to be engaging on all levels, story and visuals. But hey ho.

yeah

Having said that there's always something that's brainless and entertains me if I'm in the right mood.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible 2 was a horrible film. Hard to believe that somehow, the third one was considerably worse.

Everybody seems to hate the third, but I think it's the best of the bunch by far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I prefer a film to be engaging on all levels, story and visuals. But hey ho.

yeah

Having said that there's always something that's brainless and entertains me if I'm in the right mood.

If story was the be-all, end-all aspect of my film appreciation, I would miss out on a whole lotta excellent "art" films whose priority is more towards symbolism etc. Guys like Godard, Antonioni, Ray, Tarkovsky. It might sound strange to include Woo in that company, but the fact of the matter is he uses similar strategies within the action genre and a more traditional storytelling paradigm. Like Tim Burton, Ridley Scott etc. That's why I like him so much. And yes, that includes the slo-mo doves!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it would be hard to find anyone who appreciates films just for their stories. I appreciate all aspects of filmmaking and I understand perfectly well it's a visual medium - but those images still need to tell a story or otherwise I might as well just take some acid and watch my screensaver.

I think we've had this discussion before though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I think it would be hard to find anyone who appreciates films just for their stories. I appreciate all aspects of filmmaking and I understand perfectly well it's a visual medium - but those images still need to tell a story or otherwise I might as well just take some acid and watch my screensaver.

I think we've had this discussion before though.

Yeah, we did. It's one of my "pet subjects" (in fact, I wrote my master thesis on it). If you look beyond traditional, classically told films (Hollywood), there are TONS of films that are less reliant on story than other aspects to get their point across. I can understand those who go to films primarily to be told a story (heck, that goes for most casual cinemagoers around the world), but it's only ONE out of many ways to make a piece of film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, but no one actually watches those films.

popcorn
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, but no one actually watches those films.

popcorn

They do if they're inserting said aesthetic into traditional, story-driven films! BLADE RUNNER, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, even E.T.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So there are actually films out there which are purely visual without any narrative? Again, isn't that akin to getting high and looking at something colourful? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    So there are actually films out there which are purely visual without any narrative? Again, isn't that akin to getting high and looking at something colourful? confused

No, it's more like triggering other cognitive aspects in your body than mere storytelling. Creating some combination of audio and visuals that triggers your ability to discern symbols, mood or an immediate emotional response to the scene in question. If films were only here to create stories, we would be reading books instead.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Eerily, Thor, that is a pretty good description of a good peyote or LSD trip, which actually rather supports Steven's point!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

No, it's more like triggering other cognitive aspects in your body than mere storytelling. Creating some combination of audio and visuals that triggers your ability to discern symbols, mood or an immediate emotional response to the scene in question. If films were only here to create stories, we would be reading books instead.

So they still have scenes then? Doesn't than imply some kind of set up and payoff? I.e.... narrative? confused

Or are you talking about some kind of showreel (a piece of 'film') you could watch in an art gallery?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    ...a good peyote [...] trip...

I would not want to eat a peyote and then look at a peyote! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Dude, you don't like, LOOK at the peyote, the peyote becomes, like, your TOTEM, man.
    You see the Universe in that peyote. Except it's not, man. It's beyond that! It's not even your own Universe, man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

So they still have scenes then? Doesn't than imply some kind of set up and payoff? I.e.... narrative? confused

Or are you talking about some kind of showreel (a piece of 'film') you could watch in an art gallery?

No. I'm talking about art films, and as an extension of that using art film aesthetics inside more mainstream narratives. The main purpose of films like Godard's A BOUT DE SOUFFLE, Antonioni's LA NOTTE or Bergman's THE SEVENTH SEAL etc. is not to tell a story, it's to communicate various ideas through audio and visuals. Or at least 'story' takes a backseat to those priorities. It's about using the film medium for other kinds of experiences BEYOND story.

Same goes for certain more traditional films too, especially by style-driven directors. To stick with BLADE RUNNER, it has a definite story, of course, but the whole artistic agenda goes way beyond that. It's more about creating an envelopping mood to bask in. That's THE main experience going for it. It's not just 'mood subservient to story', it's about creating mood for mood's sake. Which isn't any less a valid form of filmmaking than that which is more story-driven.

In the case of Woo, which is what we were talking about here, it's about using sound and visuals to create kinetic action tableaux that just happen to take place within a standard (often predictable and not very interesting) story.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Dude, you don't like, LOOK at the peyote, the peyote becomes, like, your TOTEM, man.
    You see the Universe in that peyote. Except it's not, man. It's beyond that! It's not even your own Universe, man!

Far out man! That's, like, totally whacked!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One of the oddest films ever.
    And nothing even close to the French graphic novel it was supposedly based upon.

...we're rather off topic, aren't we?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Michael Giacchino - Mission Impossible 3 - Mission Impossible 2 - John Woo - the story element in films and general film aesthetics - acid trip videos....

Yes, I'll say we're far off. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    James Horner.

Am I doing it right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No!

"am I doing it right" comment.... face-palm-mt

See below for correct way...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    James Horner.

Surely I got it right this time?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, that's wrong. As Tim said, it's supposed to be like this.

James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    James Horner

Yes! I did it! I'm awesome!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Like that! No, I repeat NO other words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Michael Giacchino.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Michael Giacchino.

STOP>>>

it applies wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    Delayed until 10th Jan, but here's the track list:

1. Give Her My Budapest (1:57)
    2. Light The Fuse (2:01)
    3. Knife To A Gun Fight (3:42)
    4. In Russia, Phone Dials You (1:40)
    5. Kremlin With Anticipation (4:12)
    6. From Russia With Shove (3:37)
    7. Ghost Protocol (4:58)
    8. Railcar Rundown (1:11)
    9. Hendricks' Manifesto (3:17)
    10. A Man, A Plan, A Code, Dubai (2:44)
    11. Love The Glove (3:44)
    12. The Express Elevator (2:31)
    13. Mission Impersonatable (3:55)
    14. Moreau Trouble Than She's Worth (6:44)
    15. Out For A Run (3:54)
    16. Eye Of The Wistrom (1:05)
    17. Mood India (4:28)
    18. Mumbai's The Word (7:14)
    19. Launch Is On Hendricks (2:22)
    20. World's Worst Parking Valet (5:03)
    21. Putting The Miss In Mission (5:19)
    22. Mission: Impossible Theme (Out With A Bang Version) (:53)