• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    ACRONYMS rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Carter sounds like it's bit more spaced out than usual.

Didn't MG say that was pre-mixing? So it could all change.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I find the recording far too thin! There's a thump to the recording for sure but I feel that the highs made the recording far too ear splitting! It also seems like there is something lacking in the mid range.

Just compare the balanced recordings of MOH/SWON to Frontline... all three recorded by the same engineer in the same venue.

But different ears hear different things.

-Erik-

I like it ear splitting! Like how I prefer the recordings of the SW-OT (for Timmer biggrin ) opposed to the newer trilogy's more conventional and somewhat restrained sound. The more oomph, the more I enjoy it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Not when it's brass, it hurts!
  2. What hurts for one, soothes for the other. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52466

I love this bit:

SK: So many scores that accompany a sequel or rely on previously composed music seem to arbitrarily inject that material at opportune moments in the film without actually embracing the essence of the music itself. With MI4 I'm hearing so much of the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE theme without actually hearing the theme.

MG: Right! (Laughs)

SK: Even though you quote the theme from time to time, I’m really hearing it throughout the whole score.

MG: Yeah, it is. It’s really woven. It’s kind of the backbone of the score and why shouldn’t it be? It is a MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movie and that theme is arguably one of the greatest themes ever written! When you go to a MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movie you want to hear that. You want to see that. That’s what you want to feel. At least for me I know what I would want. You’re not actually making it for everyone else, you are making it for you. You want to ultimately do something for you that is at the same time fun and worthwhile for someone to go watch.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think in the case of movies you definitely are making it for other people.
  4. I think he's referring to the fact that he needs to listen to his own instincts. Normally we balk when these guys use large test audiences to determine whether their scoring is working. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Informative video about the sound and music of M:I4
    http://soundworkscollection.com/ghostprotocol

-Erik-

As i said over at their facebook page and whilst i am a huge admirer of their work in general (soundworkscollection), still it should require less talky more showy? (techniques, showing the actual foley, the recordings inside and outside the studio, the music recording), you know letting it breath a little and showing us the actual behind the scenes instead of hearing others talk to the camera about it. Pr's a bitch in letting people seeing the actual work (and not the usual 'we are awesome' bullcrap) but they can try even more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the New mission:impossible theme renditions, big fail imo.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The main title is awesome, and there are some good bits of action music. It fits the film well (so I guess job done) but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

Not bad but I felt slightly disappointed, although not really to the fault of MG.

I just hope all of John Carter is as good as the clips we've heard.
  5. Giacchino is going to Switzerland:

https://twitter.com/#!/m_giacchino/stat … 8672352256
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Cool. So he IS involved... glad that I was wrong about that smile

This will probably be the closest travel distance, if I ever want to see him in concert... seriously thinking about going.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    I'll go. It can't be harder than getting to Ubeda, right? Right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    I'm honestly a bit disappointed that Patrick Doyle has been hired to score Brave. Was really hoping for a Giacchino fantasy score. I think he could definitely pull off the genre.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Brave looks like the first Pixar film that doesn't look like Pixar. Stick with John Carter, I am sure it will be much better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Brave looks like the first Pixar film that doesn't look like Pixar.

What does that mean?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It looks like a Dreamworks movie. I have no interest in seeing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That still doesn't make sense? What exactly makes all the Pixar movies LOOK like Pixar movies?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012
    I'm excited about Brave because I want to see Pixar doing something new. Including the composer choice.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That still doesn't make sense? What exactly makes all the Pixar movies LOOK like Pixar movies?

-Erik-

Magic. It's not just 3d graphics and computers parading around, it's got soul and spirit unlike the vast majority of animated films out there today.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    I know it isn't really interesting quite yet as I don't have any more details, but the John Carter CD will be available on 6th March.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012
    Michael's brother is on Twitter too, and he's called Anthony Giacchino.

...is there something you're not telling us, Anthony? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012
    Steven wrote
    Michael's brother is on Twitter too, and he's called Anthony Giacchino.

Awesome. biggrin
  6. Lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    Steven wrote

applause

Say something Ant.....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony