• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks for the story. Never heard that indeed.
    Michael is like a very cool guy. Seattle as well!

But what's with Williams and ghost writing? Heh?

I forget names but there is a theme in E.T. that wasn't written by Williams. It's the "Chase" theme. Jon Broxton and James Southall know the name. And there were a few people writing additional cues or arranging stuff for Williams on Jedi. Fred Steiner and John Morgan are the names I remember.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    duh, duh, DUH!

So John Williams isn't the perfect one we all thought he was. Cool story. Funny facts about composers are always fun. Did you know David Arnold used to work in a cereal factory? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote

I forget names but there is a theme in E.T. that wasn't written by Williams. It's the "Chase" theme. Jon Broxton and James Southall know the name. And there were a few people writing additional cues or arranging stuff for Williams on Jedi. Fred Steiner and John Morgan are the names I remember.

-Erik-

Is the name you don't remember Les Baxter Erik? There was quite some fallout over this I believe?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote

-Erik-

Is the name you don't remember Les Baxter Erik? There was quite some fallout over this I believe?

No no. Not that. I know about that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's actually some scoring session coverage of Finest Hour here, plus an interview:

http://uk.media.music.ign.com/media/713 … ids_1.html

I have a feeling Demetris will like that cue...

Erik, what's the chance of you doing a re-run show of the score? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Anthony wrote
    duh, duh, DUH!

So John Williams isn't the perfect one we all thought he was.

One thing I especially don't like Williams, is that he sometimes won't put the names of his orchestrators on the CD inserts, or covers, or back covers, or anywhere. I searched through my Revenge of the Sith CD package, but didn't find the name Conrad Pope, while imdb indicates he has worked on the project as orchestrator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    There's actually some scoring session coverage of Finest Hour here, plus an interview:

http://uk.media.music.ign.com/media/713 … ids_1.html

I have a feeling Demetris will like that cue...

Erik, what's the chance of you doing a re-run show of the score? confused

Not sure. I'll have to talk it over with Michael.

And yeah... "Snipers" is a bloody AWESOME cue!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Excellent! smile

Very interested in it now!

We've given you too much to ask him. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    elenewton wrote

One thing I especially don't like Williams, is that he sometimes won't put the names of his orchestrators on the CD inserts, or covers, or back covers, or anywhere.

.....unlike Zimmer whom everyone bashes. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    On that top 10 of 2007 things that's up on SoundtrackNet, Mike mentions the Airborne theme was a minor theme in a previous game? Where? shocked confused
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    elenewton wrote

One thing I especially don't like Williams, is that he sometimes won't put the names of his orchestrators on the CD inserts, or covers, or back covers, or anywhere.

.....unlike Zimmer whom everyone bashes. wink

Who'd WANT to take credit for THOSE orchestrations! tongue

I think Conrad Pope explained this in much the same way Arthur Morton explained working with Jerry Goldsmith. Their role is essentially in converting the shorthand of those composers in full orchestrations, but involves almost no creative capacity. The fact that they've worked together many times means they understand what a Williams tutti involves compared to a Goldsmith tutti.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2008
    Aww, sucks Michael didn't win the Oscar. He looked a little upset, but oh well, a nomination clearly shows he's been noticed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    His reaction was... "Yup... expected that!" I told him a few weeks ago his only real competition was Atonement so I don't think it surprised him that he didn't win. Anyway, he is still young and I'm sure there will be a few Oscar wins for him in the future.

-Erik
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yeah. I thought Atonement would win, but I still had hope. Ah well, he got a Grammy at least. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    His reaction was... "Yup... expected that!" I told him a few weeks ago his only real competition was Atonement so I don't think it surprised him that he didn't win. Anyway, he is still young and I'm sure there will be a few Oscar wins for him in the future.

-Erik

Agree. He has pleeeeeeenty of time to win more than one and two oscars. This time I think Atonement was far superior.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    Has anyone else spotted the motif for the freighter people - 5 decending notes usually played on the strings. I've just noticed this near the beginning of Tabula Rasa, although here it doesn't fit into any context. Any further explanation? dizzy
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    Is Mr. Giacchino scoring Land of the Lost (2009) directed by Brad Siberling? He's listed on IMDB but as we all know that's not the most reliable of sources until it's confirmed by a studio or an agency.

This would be very exciting if true.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    I bet the only reason he's hired is because of the name. Nothing to do with him being good or anything. biggrin wink

I heard rumors that Airborne was going to be his last MOH score. Please tell me that's not true! cry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    I quickly made a cover for Lost Via Domus: http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2627 … scoxe8.jpg

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Aww, sucks Michael didn't win the Oscar. He looked a little upset, but oh well, a nomination clearly shows he's been noticed. smile

He's one of the most talented composers of this moment. His time will come.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    Just to let you guys know, there are OSCAR PROMOS and CAST AND CREW editions of Ratatouille on eBay. The Oscar promo is the same as the OST, but the cast and crew editions are EXPANDED (possibly complete? no tracklisting is up...).

They're falling out of my price range, but just thought someone with more money might want them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008 edited
    I thought they weren't allowed to produce Oscar promos anymore.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Meh, I'm more interested in the cast and crew thing if it's expanded. Would I really be willing to pay $50 for it though? I don't think so. I'm saving for a new computer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I thought there weren't allowed to produce Oscar promos anymore.

-Erik-

Me too, but there still seem to be some floating around. I wonder if in truth they are just CDR bootlegs with "For your consideration" slapped on them.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Isn't anyone else more interested in this expanded version though?! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Nah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Not me, but I'm sure you could have guessed that. The existing release is plenty long enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

The 62 minutes official cd was enough for me. I didn´t notice more music in the film not included in the cd, or at least nothing really necessary.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not crazy about Ratatouille, at all; an expanded edition would kill me
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote
    Just to let you guys know, there are OSCAR PROMOS and CAST AND CREW editions of Ratatouille on eBay. The Oscar promo is the same as the OST, but the cast and crew editions are EXPANDED (possibly complete? no tracklisting is up...).

Wowowiewa! They are?! That's the most exciting thing I've heard since...! Since...! Oh, I don't know, but it does sound great! Ratatouille is my lost lick