• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Where does it mention techno percussion?

It doesn't. I may have misunderstood Anthony's post where he said:

Anthony wrote
    Techno percussion, I can't wait! (If I'm still not listening to Lost by then). lick
  1. wow a release from Speed Racer?
    Well I'm not sure what to expect, but Giacchino can do no harm so I'm intruiged what to expect of this
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sylvos wrote
    Southall wrote

It doesn't. I may have misunderstood Anthony's post where he said:

Anthony wrote
    Techno percussion, I can't wait! (If I'm still not listening to Lost by then). lick

Ah yes. I wonder where he got the info from? (Or perhaps just making a guess?)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Varese don't, but Giacchino has said it's that in the recent FSM video interviews. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Now it's clear!

Techno percussion - always my favourite!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    "Roar", wasn't it? I liked it a lot, hopinh to listen to more music from it too!

Well, anyone missing it a lot can always check out Akira Ifukube's "Godzilla" scores?

Giacchino's "Roar" is heavily based on it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    "Roar", wasn't it? I liked it a lot, hopinh to listen to more music from it too!

Well, anyone missing it a lot can always check out Akira Ifukube's "Godzilla" scores?

Giacchino's "Roar" is heavily based on it.

Oh no... I'd dive for cover young man! Surely you remember all the trouble people got into for suggesting that The Incredibles may have, y'know, just a tiny bit, been inspired by John Barry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But the INCREDIBLES HAS John Barry all over it! Every Single note of it!

Same way like ROAR carries an eerie sound from eras past, maybe it's those original Godzilla scores which i haven't heard indeed, maybe it's something else but it IS primitive and raw.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

I think the loud noise I just heard was an explosion of anger originating in the Canadian area!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    biggrin

That doesn't diminish its quality of course; not even close. I know you are not implying stuff here and i am not answering to you, i am just setting things straight so that that blast-wave won't carry me away with it too! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin

That doesn't diminish its quality of course; not even close.

Absolutely not! It's very well-done pastiche.
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Sorry to slap you over the wrist for exaggeration again - it's incurable, I know! - but I think you don't give enough credit to Henry Mancini and Rimsky-Korsakov here. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, Rimsky-Korsakov.

I liked them, or he/she.
    Yeah, very poignant

(first time I use poignant!!!! cheesy )
    Kazoo
  3. Poignancy! cheesy punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Daamn. I feel so unobrasive now.

(first time I use unobrasive!!!!)
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Big. Confusing. Words?! explode
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I bet Erik is thrilled that Dan Wallin won't mix the score for Speed Racer. I mean, Wallin is an analog-based score mixer... right? wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Wow, that's a first, right? Did he opt-out of it because it involved levels? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    I really loved Ratatouille. It was such a wonderful score!!
    Robinson
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Sylvos wrote
    Excellent, excellent. Techno percussion ain't my kind of stuff but if it's Giacchino at the helm, I'm sure I find it to my liking this time. punk

FYI - Everything in this score was recorded and performed by live players including percussion. There's no synth percussion in this score whatsoever. However, Michael has written a score in a techno style using live drum kits and various other percussion instruments to give the illusion of a techno styled score. Does that make sense?

Matt C wrote
    I bet Erik is thrilled that Dan Wallin won't mix the score for Speed Racer. I mean, Wallin is an analog-based score mixer... right? wink

Dan Wallin works in both analog and digital. Wallin recored and mixed the score.

-Erik-

PS - Roar! is coming... patience.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think the loud noise I just heard was an explosion of anger originating in the Canadian area!

I have never denied this or Giacchino's Mancini influences in this score. However, it's NOT all Barry, Mancini or whomever else. Giacchino's voice is also all over the score as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, Michael has written a score in a techno style using live drum kits and various other percussion instruments to give the illusion of a techno styled score. Does that make sense?

confused
    Not very much.
    Why go through all the trouble of using live percussionists if the effect you want to emulate is a (presumably electronic) techno one? Why not just use elctronic percussion in the first place?
    Or do I misunderstand the premise?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    I can't wait to hear what he's done for Speed Racer!!

Erik have you heard any of it yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    However, Michael has written a score in a techno style using live drum kits and various other percussion instruments to give the illusion of a techno styled score. Does that make sense?

confused
    Not very much.
    Why go through all the trouble of using live percussionists if the effect you want to emulate is a (presumably electronic) techno one? Why not just use elctronic percussion in the first place?

Because he wanted to use all live players. He wanted the techno style but not the synthetic SOUND of pre-programmed drum loops.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

confused
    Not very much.

Because he wanted to use all live players. He wanted the techno style but not the synthetic SOUND of pre-programmed drum loops.

-Erik-

This already sounds like something I want to applaud, from a composer I seem to applaud more and more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We need an applause emoticon.

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

confused
    Not very much.

-Erik-

This already sounds like something I want to applaud, from a composer I seem to applaud more and more.

Yeah, indeed. That's quite impressive!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Sorry to slap you over the wrist for exaggeration again - it's incurable, I know! - but I think you don't give enough credit to Henry Mancini and Rimsky-Korsakov here. wink

Yeah, I'll back you and Erik up on this one Michael biggrin

D, Barry is definitely NOT on every single note of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Robinson wrote
    I really loved Ratatouille. It was such a wonderful score!!

Absolutely! Me too, man! beer