• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    How can you hear anything "random" or "buzz-y" in Giacchino's music at the same moment he's one of the few composers today to actually base his scores on strong thematic material?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Anthony wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Finally got "Lost Season 4"! smile
    Like meetin' old friends. Great!

Welcome to my world. Frikkin' amazing music. cool lick

Yes, it indeed is.
    I remember, when I first heard Giacchinos effort on "Lost Season 1". It didn't really do much for me back then, but after I've seen the seasons I got a complete nut about the score and sence then I love those melodies.
    And "Season 4" really is a very interesting an well done comilation on those themes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I won't start a new thread for this as I think I'm one of the few people that actually loved MI3 as a movie, but Tom Cruise and J.J. Abrams have apparently been plotting a fourth installment.

All I can hope for is that even if Abrams doesn't direct, Giacchino gets invited back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    I won't start a new thread for this as I think I'm one of the few people that actually loved MI3 as a movie

Not only did I like MI3 but also think it is the best of the three.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I won't start a new thread for this as I think I'm one of the few people that actually loved MI3 as a movie

While M:I3 was a major step up from the AWFUL M:I2 the original M:I film is still the best and contains the best score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I preferred the first one personally. I really liked the style and thought the plot was perfectly complicated. The third one was very good mind you, it just felt like an extended episode of alias, minus the lovely Jennifer Garner kiss .
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

While M:I3 was a major step up from the AWFUL M:I2 the original M:I film is still the best and contains the best score.

-Erik-

To be fair, the first one and the third have nothing to do with each other. The first is an exrcise of suspense with some action sequences and the third one is an action film (one of the best I´ve watched recently, only surpassed by Terminator 4, and far better than the over-over-overrrated Star Trek).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

To be fair, the first one and the third have nothing to do with each other. The first is an exrcise of suspense with some action sequences and the third one is an action film (one of the best I´ve watched recently, only surpassed by Terminator 4, and far better than the over-over-overrrated Star Trek).

But they are STILL Mission:Impossible films. If the third was sooooo different it shouldn't have had the number 3 beside the name. wink

-Erik-

PS - The "exercise in suspense" you speak of is what makes the first film the superior one. I'll take the CIA break-in from the first film over ANYTHING in the third.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    But they are STILL Mission:Impossible films. If the third was sooooo different it shouldn't have had the number 3 beside the name. wink

-Erik-

PS - The "exercise in suspense" you speak of is what makes the first film the superior one. I'll take the CIA break-in from the first film over ANYTHING in the third.

-Erik-

I'm with you 100% Erik
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

-Erik-

That's a pretty valid point; no.2 was horrible, m:i:III wasn't perfect, but a huge improvement. I enjoyed it A LOT, truth to be told and despite the fact that it's essentially a very well-performed and fun but quickly forgettable ride. I absolutely adored the score which - imo, is the best of the whole series, at least when it comes to suiting my tastes. If a 4th is indeed on the works and Giacchino's in it, then i am definitely looking forward to it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sidenote: omaha, you need to learn how to quote properly. You broked this thread too, i just fixed it. smile EVERY [ QUOTE ] NEEDS TO BE FOLLOWED BY ITS CLOSING SESSION MARK, WHICH IS THE [ /QUOTE] OTHERWISE IT REMAINS OPEN AND CRASHED THE FORUM. ALSO, EVERYTHING MUST GO IN PAIRS, NO [ QUOTE ] OR [ /QUOTE ] CAN EXIST ON ITS OWN WITHOUT ITS CLOSING OR OPENING CORRESPONDING MARK. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I won't bother going over old ground again by talking about the third film (the most awful I've ever seen in a cinema) - but I can't miss the opportunity to join your praise for the first. Head and shoulders above the two which came after it. Made by a REAL filmmaker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, and I'll add that whoever makes number four, I hope Giacchino is on board for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    I won't bother going over old ground again by talking about the third film (the most awful I've ever seen in a cinema)

shocked

Either you are very selective with the films you watch at in the cinema or you have really exaggerated!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sidenote: omaha, you need to learn how to quote properly. You broked this thread too, i just fixed it. smile EVERY [ QUOTE ] NEEDS TO BE FOLLOWED BY ITS CLOSING SESSION MARK, WHICH IS THE [ /QUOTE] OTHERWISE IT REMAINS OPEN AND CRASHED THE FORUM. ALSO, EVERYTHING MUST GO IN PAIRS, NO [ QUOTE ] OR [ /QUOTE ] CAN EXIST ON ITS OWN WITHOUT ITS CLOSING OR OPENING CORRESPONDING MARK. beer

yeah, I need to work on it
    thanks wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    I won't bother going over old ground again by talking about the third film (the most awful I've ever seen in a cinema)

shocked

Either you are very selective with the films you watch at in the cinema or you have really exaggerated!

Or both...

Actually, it's perhaps the former. It's not the worst film I've ever seen. But it's the worst one with a $100m+ budget, I think.
  1. Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

shocked

Mi3 is one of a few films that the mere mention of makes me upset. I felt it was that silly.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. A little suprised there are so many M:I 2 haters here... I think it's a very good looking film with a sense of pace and visual style that I love... (I'm a big slowmo nut and how John Woo made it his trademark). How can you seriously hate the insanely over the top but oh so deliciously shot final 30 minutes? confused

But yeah the first Mission Impossible is maybe the one that stays most true to the concept. The break-in is legendary in its execution and building of suspense.

The second is great as an action film, not a M:I film, though it features some impossible feats and ludicrous stunts.

Same goes for the third, but for some reason it's the least enjoyable for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Southall wrote

Or both...

Actually, it's perhaps the former. It's not the worst film I've ever seen. But it's the worst one with a $100m+ budget, I think.

Really? It reminded me of a taut, more exciting feature-length episode of Alias, with Tom Cruise taking Jennifer Garner's role and Michelle Monaghan taking Michael Vartan's place. I can see why some people would hate it, though.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited
    Matt C wrote
    Southall wrote

Or both...

Really? It reminded me of a taut, more exciting feature-length episode of Alias, with Tom Cruise taking Jennifer Garner's role and Michelle Monaghan taking Michael Vartan's place. I can see why some people would hate it, though.

I loved Alias, but Mission Impossible isn't supposed to be Alias, which was precisely what the movie was like. All the same characters. Including Simon Pegg taking over the tech role and replacing whats his face.

The 1st one just captured the spy aspect really well. Plus, it wasn't dumbed down. It made you think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

yeah, I need to work on it
    thanks wink

No worries mate smile I just wrote it in bold as a general direction to avoid more errors like that in the future smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    A little suprised there are so many M:I 2 haters here... I think it's a very good looking film with a sense of pace and visual style that I love... (I'm a big slowmo nut and how John Woo made it his trademark). How can you seriously hate the insanely over the top but oh so deliciously shot final 30 minutes? confused .

I agree totally. Woo kicks ass! He's a great proponent of the "style is substance" school. Like the ALIEN saga, this franchise should also be open to different approaches depending on the directors' unique style.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Having not seen the director's cut, how much or Alien3 has to do with Fincher's unique style?

Cameron made an actioner, Alien: Resurrection, even if weak, had some of Jeunet's dark sense of humour. Alien is pure Ridley. How nerdy am I if I can recognize a director by composition of his close-ups? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Wow, I never thought that even this film has its defenders. Not wanting to steal James's thunder here, but for me Woo's M:I II is hands down the most atrocious film I've ever seen in cinemas (Admittedly, I didn't see any of the Pirates of the Caribbean ones in the theatre though). I honestly can't remember watching anything so bad paying for it... (Trying to remember... No, sorry.) The amount of Cruise close-ups alone was vomit-inducing; I just couldn't take them all.

I though the third film was quite innocent and entertaining, a decent action film which was only partly a mission: impossible - though I was happy it was back on track after the second. I'll have some J.J. Abrams + Giacchino over Tony Scott, Michael Bay, etc. + RC-composers any time of the day.
    The first one on the other hand remains one of my all-time favorites; DePalma is just so great with this material. I've also seen it just at the right age where it still sticks with you (and where you were not as well 'versed' in plot twists as now), so this has admittedly added to the impact - but still, it's a wonderful DePalma film. Plus it's accompanied by my favourite Elfman score; what more can you want.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Most of what fommes said, I can honestly say that MI : II was the biggest load of big budget Hollywood crap I've ever seen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Most of what fommes said, I can honestly say that MI : II was the biggest load of big budget Hollywood crap I've ever seen.

beer

-Erik-
  4. Timmer wrote

kill explode
    kill explode
    kill explode
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

beer

-Erik-

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fommes wrote
    I honestly can't remember watching anything so bad paying for it... (Trying to remember... No, sorry.)

*cough* The Avengers...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Now The Avengers was maybe the most unintentionally hilariously funny film I've ever seen. We were literally rolling on the floor crying tears of laughters, me and Thomas.