• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011
    The new Mission: Impossible has harpsichord. And organ. And choir.

And shit loads of percussion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Harpsichord? punk

Shit loads of percussion? sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. And according to Star Trek's videocommentary, it has the name of his dead pets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Thor wrote
    Good work, Neil. Did you conduct it by phone?

If I am allowed a TINY bit of criticism, it would be that there was a bit too much 'gushing' going on from your end, i.e. a bit too many superlatives thrown his way. I realize it's probably difficult to hold them back if you're a super-fan, but I feel it often makes for a more equal 'conversation' nature if one tries to stay more professional.

Believe me, I struggled with the same thing in Ghent this year, in my face-to-face interview with Goldenthal, but think I managed to retain my cool. The 'fandom' was more apparent in my detailed knowledge about his work, but that could of course just be thorough research.

So I get the challenge! smile

Fair enough. Though I must say, with my calm demeanor and English accent, it doesn't SOUND like gushing at all wink

We did the interview by phone and there was some good back and forth. He was genuinely enthusiastic to talk about scoring. I had quite a few more questions that I didn't get time for, so I hope I get a chance to interview him again when M:I 4 comes out on blu-ray (since I review Paramount product for HTF).
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Harpsichord? punk

*shudder*

My most disliked instrument. Luckily I don't think there's much of it.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    The new Mission: Impossible has harpsichord. And organ. And choir.

And shit loads of percussion.

Whaa...?! Insider words or are there samples out already?

Harpsichord is my most disliked instrument too, though it wasn't all that bad in Horton Hears A Who. smile
  2. Choir in a Mission Impossible score? Weird.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I know some has been recorded for some scenes in Russia. Maybe some low Russian Soviet-style bass choir?
  3. I can imagine some of it. If there's some kind of Russian story.
  4. Zimmer's Mission: IMpossible 2 score featured a full choir.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ That wasn't a Mission: Impossible film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Tell that to Cruise. He handpicked the director and the writers!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell that to Cruise. He handpicked the director and the writers!

He's a power midget with bad taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's still NOT a Mission: Impossible film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Well, to be totally clear about the situation:

The rough cut of Mission: Impossible 2 was about three hours long and Cruise mingled with the final cut, so we get what we got in the end. The plot holes were largely because of that long cut.

The movie was written by Robert "Chinatown" Towne, who built the story around scenes the director John Woo wanted to include in the film. Asked by Woo, what kind of movie he wants, Cruise said "I want a John Woo movie".

Cruise was "great" enough though that, just like de Palma on part one (he was denied a final cut as well), he vowed never to work with Cruise again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same as ALIEN: RESSURECTION is not "really" an ALIEN film. Regardless, however, it's still a fine John Woo action flick!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We'll have to agree to disagree, and I can never get those two hours of my life back.

I don't like John Woo's films.
  7. He was way better in Hong Kong than whatever he did in Hollywood, though granted, I love the only movie where he was given total freedom in what he did. That was Face/Off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I seriously dislike that one too.

But to each their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I don't like John Woo's films.

Me neither. I quite enjoy Paycheck though, but I think its strength comes from Philip K. Dick. Given to a more capable director, that film had the potential to be truly special! (Something Powell obviously picked up on.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't understand how it's possible NOT to find pleasure in the beautifully choreographed, balletic action sequences (Woo is one of the best in the class in that department), but there you go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Because they're all pomp and no circumstance. His films just aren't very engaging to me. (Except perhaps for Paycheck because of its premise.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If they're all "pomp and no circumstance", then I certainly would like to see more of that.

I love directors who are very style-driven and who have immediately recognizable trademarks. Most of the time, I don't give a monkey's toss about the story (which isn't the ONLY thing a film can do!) as long as he knows how to use the film medium for his purposes.

Woo's films are like beautiful, kinetic artworks created in a genre that usually doesn't spur that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer a film to be engaging on all levels, story and visuals. But hey ho.
  8. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It features Tom Cruise jumping from a building and surviving (twice!). It counts. That's the only thing that holds these films together.

* Vanilla Sky sky doesn't count, because we don't know whether Cruise's character survived the jump.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  9. Steven, have you seen any of his Hong Kong movies? Those he actually *wrote* on his own?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    Nope. Nor do I have any interest in seeing them.
  10. Pity, Hard-Boiled is pretty much a masterpiece. But *never* see the American dub, only the Chinese original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    Mission: Impossible 2 was a horrible film. Hard to believe that somehow, the third one was considerably worse.