• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010
    This supposed chanting is definitely NOT on the CD. However, there is some wordless, synthy choir chanting that pops up occasionally.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this reviewer was hearing the wordless chanting and is fooling themselves into thinking it's more than what it is. People that aren't used to hearing wordless (or foreign language) chanting in music do that sometimes. My brother, when watching The Phantom Menace, thought that the "Duel of the Fates" choir was chanting "Oh, Qui-gon! Oh, Obi-Wan!" shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Are they sure it's JNH and not some stupid piece of music inserted by the producers?

Well if it's on the CD and credited to JNH, then it must be his, right?

I can think of a Revell score CD where he composed NONE of the score (not even a "theme"), but receives sole credit.

I have been told of one such score and it's one that sounds like none of his others but does sound like others which the person credited with orchestrating it has also worked (prominently) on. But of course I personally have no idea whether that's true or not.

I don't believe Graeme Revell is unique amongst film composers for that, as I believe Franz's comment was alluding towards.
  1. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Are they sure it's JNH and not some stupid piece of music inserted by the producers?

I can think of a Revell score CD where he composed NONE of the score (not even a "theme"), but receives sole credit.

I have been told of one such score and it's one that sounds like none of his others but does sound like others which the person credited with orchestrating it has also worked (prominently) on. But of course I personally have no idea whether that's true or not.

I don't believe Graeme Revell is unique amongst film composers for that, as I believe Franz's comment was alluding towards.

Actually, I think it was your comment above, at another board, that sparked me to research a little. I found four or five scores by Revell where he either didn't write anything, or provided a theme only.

I'm sure this happens a little more frequently than is generally known.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I can think of a Revell score CD where he composed NONE of the score (not even a "theme"), but receives sole credit. I can think of a Christopher young score CD where two or three cues are not composed by him, but the person in question receives to credit. Off the top of me head. could probably name more with further reflection.

(declining comment on the name of the films...)

And you know this, how........? Anyway, i don't think JNH is in this league.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    From what I've been told, you should think again.

Ultimately it doesn't particularly bother me. If I like the music then I like it, the fact it wasn't written by the person whose name is on the CD cover doesn't alter whether it's any good or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Geesh, I really like all of the allusions and insinuation going on around. rolleyes
  2. I was referring to fan favourite KING KONG, myself.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was referring to fan favourite KING KONG, myself.

I'd believe it if he was Mozart but he's not, he's just lil' ol James Newton Howard.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was referring to fan favourite KING KONG, myself.

Okay, so who do you have in mind? I'm curious. Bruce Babcock? There's an action cue in there that sounded somewhat "similar" to the Hollywood Blvd cue that he had done for Lethal Weapon. Is that what you're referring to?
  3. KING KONG was a team effort to deal with a desperately narrow time frame. This was known at the time.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    KING KONG was a team effort to deal with a desperately narrow time frame. This was known at the time.

Sure. I'm just curious if there were more facts that were uncovered, that I haven't heard of yet. Some of the comments made me assume that there were much uncredited additional music...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Geesh, I really like all of the allusions and insinuation going on around. rolleyes

But the Revell stuff is true!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. It ranges anywhere from just wanting to mentor another composer, to just being plumb lazy. One of my favorites was that a well known composer just likes to go play gulf, but ... somebody has to compose that music he signed on for...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

But the Revell stuff is true!

-Erik-

Tell me more, please. I'm not his biggest fan, but I've enjoyed some of his work, like Red Planet, Negotiator, The Saint (ooh, must listen to that one again), and The Riddick scores. Any of those belong to him?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    It ranges anywhere from just wanting to mentor another composer, to just being plumb lazy. One of my favorites was that a well known composer just likes to go play gulf, but ... somebody has to compose that music he signed on for...

shocked
    Tell me more! PLEASE!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    Newton Howard to score Water for Elephants
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … elephants/
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    I love the sound created in "Maddy & Archer" from Blood Diamond. It's a really subtile synth also used by Thomas Newman.

Does anyone know if they are manipulated strings or what it is??? Demetris?

(this is the kind of sound that I expected for Inception, even if the nostalgic Blade Runner sounds is great too).

thanks!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Newton Howard to score Water for Elephants
    http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … elephants/

I'm excited for it based on the title alone. He seems to provide excellent music for films with Water in the title or water as a prominent theme in the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    If anyone's interested, Salt is now available on Amazon as a CD-R on demand.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But where can they ship it to? They say that can't deliver it to my default address (UK) so are there any restrictions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    Well, I guess that since Britons are by far some of the most unseasoned people on earth, you should be the first to get it!
  5. Confirmed: he is scoring "The Green Hornet". *

* = source un-named.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    That IS good news.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. The film looks like it will such dead donkey balls, but if he takes the approach to scoring seriously, like Bernstein and "Ghostbusters", then I would think we're in for a treat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn! I read it wrong, I saw ( without glasses and probably a bit of wishful thinking ) The Green Lantern

Oh well. slant
  7. Who is scoring The Green Lantern, anyway? Isn't George Miller preparing that one? (which with his recent choice of composer would lead us to John Powell?)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Powell would be a fine choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Who is scoring The Green Lantern, anyway? Isn't George Miller preparing that one? (which with his recent choice of composer would lead us to John Powell?)

The movie isn't done yet. Though I would like JNH to score that one as well. He's done one of the film director, Martin Campbell's movie, Vertical Limit and the score was pretty good.

A David Arnold score would be awesome though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    Ah, great choice! Keep us posted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010