• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I said "if he had stayed". It's hard to say though, as the KGB kept a list of people which they actively hunted around the world to kill for betrayal (or "wet affairs").

They had a chemical, which I forget the name of, which they could spray in your face in an instant, which would cause in a matter of seconds a heart attack. The trace particles were small minute as to disolve quickly, and no be detected if not looked psecifically for. That was just one method.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. (Slowly my true agenda will be achieved. The conversion of this thread into an investigation into the death of Andrei Tarkovsky.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote

This all applies to all composers; Some make out their way, some don't; some come across as auto-pilot works, tired and straight-to-the paycheck. Like JNH's 2011 was. He's one of the greatest figures in modern film music, we would at least expect him to try, not give up; i can understand how the whole thing can tire and suck the fun and energy out of people, but composers like Horner, Newman, Jnh....we expect so much more from them. As for the Hollywood argument, again don't tell me that all Hollywood scores sound the same 'cause you know they don't. As i said, some composers at least try.

It's fine to not like a score but to say that the composer gave up, he's tired or he doesn't try is unacceptable and rude.

I'd happily trade places with getting a shitload of money for my work, even if bored, for the small price of having some critics on forums being rude against me. This is why it is called a business.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hollywood is a business and I feel this is why some classical music people, who feel they're true artists, reject the concept of this being an artistic endeavor.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. franz_conrad wrote
    (Slowly my true agenda will be achieved. The conversion of this thread into an investigation into the death of Andrei Tarkovsky.)

Ho. Ho. Ho.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    (And just a note to Pawel... if Zimmer and JNH are true artists and the work speaks for itself, and Justin so misguided, it's probably not the best use of time to take up arms against someone who is convinced otherwise. wink Message board incredulity is the least satisfied emotion in human history.)

Zimmer is the last person who would say he is a "true artist". He calls himself an entertainer (referring to my interview with him).

There are things in film music writing process that are beyond the understanding of even people who participate in it and yet we tend to take a holistic approach here, which is not wrong per se, we have to make some assumptions when we write a review.

This actually yields many questions regarding methodology in approach to reviews - having actually witnessed film scores being created in an active and passive way, do I have the right to actually still be a journalist in that regard?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. To call himself, anyway, a "True artist", is a true insult to people like Jerry Goldsmith, Ennio Morricone, Igor Stravinsky, Elmer Bernstein, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Bernard Herrmann -- all true artists in their respective fields.

Zimmer is an empty, stale Cracker Jack box.
  6. Yeah, because Symphonette #2 is a piece of art.

Go write something like Thin Red Line and Da Vinci Code and then we'll talk. You can't even create a basic melody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    popcorn
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, because Symphonette #2 is a piece of art.

Go write something like Thin Red Line and Da Vinci Code and then we'll talk. You can't even create a basic melody.

This is amusing and child-like in critical thinking.

What you saying it like a company head that runs a massive lemonade company with years of business experience, scientists to mix ingrediants, people to taste test, promote, sell, etc., etc., etc., coming up to a little kid at a lemondae stand and lambasting them for their poor lemonade and lack of their personal experience.

Or do you need a middle school refresher on my experience vs. any Hollywood composer?
  8. Yeah, yeah, child-like and all, but you don't know:

a) How Zimmer works
    b) What stands behind a decision he makes
    c) Why does he sound the way he does and where does it come from.

This empty whatever box has written a several number of personal scores for him, including his Oscar-winning one, but of course you don't know how an early family death can influence a score to a movie where the main character goes through exactly the same experience.

When you have an opportunity to be better than him, you create stuff that has no proper melody. Zimmer scores often feature a decent theme. The comparison stands. You have no idea about the way he works and why he does things the way he does them and all you can do is attack him.

All you can do is simply attack him at every single possibilty to do so. Did he rape you, killed your family, or what?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    popcorn

make room, make room... popcorn popcorn
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Steven wrote
    popcorn

Oh I know. I don't know how I do it. I reckon we're within two posts of Hitler at this stage. popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011 edited
    Glad I checked in! Almost missed the party!

popcorn

-Erik-

PS - 5 million bonus points for Pawel bringing up Symphonette #2. The ultimate debate finisher! "Finish him!" "SYMPHOOONEEEEEEEEETTE #2!" explode
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. (It's the sort of weapon that if you have to use, it isn't about the issue anymore. And these guys are great when they talk on issues.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, we're debating Zimmer in the Howard thread?

Hmm...

*goes over to Zimmer thread*...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Welcome to MainTitles! We have a serious case of ADD!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    James Horner
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011 edited
    No, even though their names are similar and Avatar is clearly a ripoff of Atlantis, they are not, in fact, the same composer.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Timmer wrote
    James Horner

Too much Twitter and Facebook... I just wanted to both like your post and retweet it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You got that right
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    popcorn

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A serious case of well,....everything!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And the future is bleak.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed Tom. Nuclear blasted wastelands and we'll be mute and ruled by intelligent apes.

I saw the films. True stories!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Indeed Tom. Nuclear blasted wastelands and we'll be mute and ruled by intelligent apes.

I saw the films. True stories!

The horror. The horror.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. New interview with him:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/01/20 … #more-8038
    (page with info, then a link)

It appears he's entered the Morricone zone of not smiling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    It appears he's entered the Morricone zone of not smiling.

He is a film composer not a comedian.