• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Absolutely, absolutely LOVE Horner. His Avatar and Black Gold scores reminded me why i loved scores in the first place.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. The War track should have been twice as long on the soundtrack. Many of the best parts aren't even on there, like the last minute of Quaritch Down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    Michael Nyman just posted on Facebook that he was offered Titanic, but it didn't work out for some reason. I remember from past interviews that both John Williams and John Barry were asked about it as well. I wonder exactly how far down the pecking order James Horner actually was. (It turned out OK for all concerned - I guess it's a bit like Lord of the Rings.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Michael Nyman TITANIC? Hmmm???

I vaguely remember the John Williams and John Barry link.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hard to imagine the Nyman version! And I have to say, if Cameron got that far before going to Horner, I guess Horner must have been a very long way down the pecking order. I remember before it came out, Titanic was treated like poison, such was the expectation of failure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I remember everyone ( the media, film magazines etc ) saying it was going to fail. As for Horner being well down the pecking order I expect this was to do with their big falling out during ALIENS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed! Someone told me Cameron had Horner pinned to the wall at one point and had to be pulled away as he was about to punch him. Must have been quite the phone call when Titanic was first mooted!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cameron's a very big bloke, little Jimmy wouldn't have stood a chance, perhaps whistling the 4 note danger motif allerted security that got him saved?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I lol'd. I did, I lol'd
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol Indeed! But a Nyman Titanic would be most interesting to hear! "My heart will go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go on"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

I really like Nyman. it's a pity he doesn't score a new film anymore, or at least not that it is available.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    lol Indeed! But a Nyman Titanic would be most interesting to hear! "My heart will go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go go on"

Or better yet: "My heart will go on and on and on and on and on...."

smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    omg Not this song again!!!!! rolleyes
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. Southall wrote
    Hard to imagine the Nyman version! And I have to say, if Cameron got that far before going to Horner, I guess Horner must have been a very long way down the pecking order. I remember before it came out, Titanic was treated like poison, such was the expectation of failure.

It had to be the popularity of THE PIANO theme. Maybe even GATTACA?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2012
    ^
    Hammer hitting nail methinks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Did anyone else hear or even know that James Horner was interviewed on Elaine Paige's BBC Radio 2 Sunday afternoon show? I didn't.

I rarely listen to Ms Paige's show, it's too luvvie and full of musical theatre numbers for my taste but I'd like to hear this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess it's on iPlayer. I'm not sure I could stomach listening to her though, that's the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    I still haven't listened to it, but apparently he said it wasn't certain he would be scoring Spiderman. (Which is odd, considering the previous statements from the director about how much he loved the music he'd written for it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    OK, so I did listen. Long interview (25 minutes). It starts 1:25 into this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … 8_04_2012/

He doesn't say much that's new, but it's nice to hear someone talk so passionately about film music. Most great film composers (Goldsmith, Williams) seem almost embarrassed that they are famous for film music and not concert music, so it's refreshing to hear one say how proud he is to do it.

About Spiderman, he says he hasn't decided whether to do it or not, because while he doesn't like comic book films, he does like the director. Also says there are two smaller "English films" (whatever they are) that he is hoping to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, and he sounds like Tony Blair. I'm sure he hadn't used to sound like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    OK, so I did listen. Long interview (25 minutes). It starts 1:25 into this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … 8_04_2012/

He doesn't say much that's new, but it's nice to hear someone talk so passionately about film music. Most great film composers (Goldsmith, Williams) seem almost embarrassed that they are famous for film music and not concert music, so it's refreshing to hear one say how proud he is to do it.

About Spiderman, he says he hasn't decided whether to do it or not, because while he doesn't like comic book films, he does like the director. Also says there are two smaller "English films" (whatever they are) that he is hoping to do.

Thanks! He's always sounded quasi-British, but nowhere near as much as here.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Loved the bit about him doing the six scores back in '95 because of how he didn't have a social life. Well if he did, Braveheart probably wouldn't be my fave Horner. It definitely was a year where a lot of composers were without social lives. cheesy

Thanks for putting this up. In 20 years time he'll be 100% british no doubt.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I'd like to see him translate some of that passion into a new score that does have/use:

-- Doesn't lift a single theme or motif from any previous score.
    -- Doesn't include the infamous four note Danger Motif (even though, technically that's covered under the first listed entry)
    -- Doesn't borrow from any classic piece.
    -- Absolutely no Benjamin Britten.
    -- No working on it for over a year and then come out sounding like previous efforts and Zimmer.

;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Oh, and he sounds like Tony Blair. I'm sure he hadn't used to sound like that.

That's right, before he modelled his voice on Joe Pasquale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    -- No working on it for over a year and then come out sounding like previous efforts and Zimmer.

Drive-by argument:
    -one does not simply criticize the score of the most successful film of all time.
    -it sounded like good previous efforts and good Zimmer, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And the choir usage was quite unique for Horner. The year-plus effort shows, IMO.

In fact, you have inspired me to go listen to it smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. "successful" doesn't = "good". Drive-by's on CRAP, are always welcomed.

If you start seeing me praise, say, "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic", you're welcome to do a drive-by on me.

Or "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel" (screw the spelling, if wrong).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If a film composer worked on a score for a year and came out of it writing something that didn't sound like himself then I'd call his integrity very much into question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    justin boggan wrote
    "successful" doesn't = "good".

If it's that darn successful, there is assuredly something effective going on even if it doesn't work for all film music fans. There's never been a major (I mean top 25 worldwide) successful film that had no or minimalistic music. They all have something iconic going on that people enjoy.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    If a film composer worked on a score for a year and came out of it writing something that didn't sound like himself then I'd call his integrity very much into question.

The issue isn't Horner sounding like himself it's the fact that (and this is only one example) over the course of 18 months he couldn't come up with an original bad guy motif/theme. That's the type of shit that irritates me (and a lot of film music fans) the most about the man.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorspacekim
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012
    Southall wrote

Strange that he says hasn´t decided yet, especially as Simon Franglen recently said in an interview that he had started working with Horner on the score for Spiderman. I really hope he does the movie, though!

(My first post on these forums, by the way :D )