• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Horner's still got it. Can't wait to hear this score in full.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    BasilB wrote
    Wouldn't it be interesting if James Horner would score the next Ed Zwick movie, The Great Wall?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91371

smile

Ed Zwick has developed a collaboration with James Newton Howard, a very successful one if you ask me.
  2. It doesn't get more successful than the one Zwick had with Horner on Legends of the Fall, I think we can all agree to that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    I'm sure some people will argue otherwise but I'm with you on that Gilles, LEGENDS OF THE FALL FTW!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. My favourite James Horner work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    THIS obviously.

-Erik-

lol

I still love your artwork. I hope you're available to work on my next release too!

I would be disappointed if all your releases didn't feature that artwork. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    It doesn't get more successful than the one Zwick had with Horner on Legends of the Fall, I think we can all agree to that.

It's wonderful music for a lousy film. And Glory is wonderful music for a wonderful film. I'm not sure JNH's scores for Zwick have reached base camp yet, let alone reached those summits. (Could have been worse - he could have kept going with Revell.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    THIS obviously.

-Erik-

lol

I still love your artwork. I hope you're available to work on my next release too!

I would be disappointed if all your releases didn't feature that artwork. biggrin

An excellent point!
  5. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It doesn't get more successful than the one Zwick had with Horner on Legends of the Fall, I think we can all agree to that.

It's wonderful music for a lousy film. And Glory is wonderful music for a wonderful film. I'm not sure JNH's scores for Zwick have reached base camp yet, let alone reached those summits. (Could have been worse - he could have kept going with Revell.)

Why is Legends lousy? That's a very harsh comment. The film has too many good aspects about it to call it lousy. I've seen absolute trash that has zero redeeming aspects, and are instantly forgettable. Legends of the Fall is not such a film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It is handsome to look at - and has stunning music in it. So it certainly has at least two redeeming features. But it felt so hollow to me.
  6. Spent a while listening to an old suite I did of Horner's TROY this morning. I think, a little while from now, those who look back on film music may look pretty fondly on Horner. Even his quick efforts are pretty resilient against the general direction of film music around him. Due to my affection for Yared's score and distaste at the good old 4 note motif party, I would have been aghast to think that I would eventually say this back when the score came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It strikes me that the film composers who stand the test of time are the ones who pay attention to both of the words in their job title. It's difficult to say anything about the current trend away from real, trained composers without being branded as some kind of snob who can't move with the times - so I won't.
  7. Just listened to the Main Title of this SPIDERMAN score on youtube. I'm impressed. There was a time when scores that had such an interesting beginning were a more commonplace experience. Perhaps Horner's most attention-grabbing music since ZORRO?
  8. In case of 'The Mask of Zorro' :

punk

In case of 'The Legend of Zorro' :

cool

Either way, I'll get this one on release, or I wouldn't be a Horner fan.
  9. Southall wrote
    It strikes me that the film composers who stand the test of time are the ones who pay attention to both of the words in their job title. It's difficult to say anything about the current trend away from real, trained composers without being branded as some kind of snob who can't move with the times - so I won't.

But I'll agree with, almost completely, nonetheless.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Been doing a bit of revisiting and put together the below cd for an intercity drive this afternoon...

1. 'Give me the hammer and I'll nail them up!' (All the King's Men) (the one optimistic moment in this score?)
    2. 'Gathering all the Navi clans for Battle' (Avatar)
    3. 'Closing Credits' (A Beautiful Mind)
    4. 'Chechnya IV' (Beyond Borders)
    5. 'A Kingdom of Oil' (Black Gold)
    6. 'Strange New Clothes' (Boy in the Striped Pyjamas)
    7. 'A Coward No Longer' (The Four Feathers)
    8. 'A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted' (The New World)
    9. 'Statehood Proclaimed' (Legend of Zorro)
    10. 'My Family is My Life' (Legend of Zorro) (this doesn't have a clean start, hard to avoid using the track before, the music's fun enough though so no worries)

It's a strange by product of the listening order I picked that the scores are nearly in alphabetical order.
    And I would have thrown another couple of tracks on from different scores but this is one composer where if you pick 10 cues, you'll fill 80 minutes, like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    1. 'Give me the hammer and I'll nail them up!' (All the King's Men) (the one optimistic moment in this score?)

And the only track that is ripped off from another score. I'm surprised you picked this cue.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was listening to AVATAR the other day, and was reminded what a glorious score this is!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    I was listening to AVATAR the other day, and was reminded what a glorious score this is!

Couldn't agree more. It has become my alltime favourite Horner score, and that says a lot since I'm such a huge fan of his and there are so many treasures to choose from.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

And the only track that is ripped off from another score. I'm surprised you picked this cue.

-Erik-

It's still the best track from the score. There's a lot of good in that track. The Braveheart quotation is a little offputting, but it's pretty short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited
    I think the opening cue is the scores' highlight. It's a very good theme (albeit repeated ad nauseum) and it's a tune we have never heard in a Horner score before. That's saying something.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

I'm not. That's a damn good cue, but the End Credits theme is even better.
  13. That reminds me. I should revisit Black Gold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    .....which is also outstanding, one of the year's bests.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  14. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Steady on, it's like the last 15 seconds of a 6 minute cue! (And I never listen to BRAVEHEART anyway.) The AVATAR track rips off FOUR FEATHERS more than that. spin
  15. Erik Woods wrote
    I think the opening cue is the scores' highlight. It's a very good theme (albeit repeated ad nauseum) and it's a tune we have never heard in a Horner score before. That's saying something.

-Erik-

Yeah, my favourite is the short track 4 ('Conjuring the Hick Vote') myself. But I wanted a nice drive in the country, so I picked the happy track. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Steady on, it's like the last 15 seconds of a 6 minute cue! (And I never listen to BRAVEHEART anyway.) The AVATAR track rips off FOUR FEATHERS more than that. spin

Funny... I haven't listen to that cue in ages and I swore that the entire cue was ripped off from Braveheart. You're right... it's only the last 15 seconds. What was I thinking? The rest of the cue is indeed dynamite. I apologize for my earlier comments.

-Erik-
  16. It's cool, no worries! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Being the generous soul that I am, I made my father in law a James Horner compilation for his 60th birthday. He likes film music, but usually only things with lots of strings and big melodies, so my criteria were that it must be quite tuneful stuff (there would be no Aliens here) and short enough to fit on an 80-minute CD. Here's what I came up with:

1. Universal Fanfare (:27)
    2. A Beautiful Mind - A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics (4:57)
    3. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Boys Playing Airplanes (4:14)
    4. Krull - Ride of the Firemares (5:24)
    5. Star Trek II - Enterprise Clears Moorings (3:36)
    6. Black Gold - Horizon to Horizon (4:00)
    7. The Karate Kid - Kung Fu Heaven (1:20)
    8. Apollo 13 - The Launch (10:20)
    9. Titanic - The Portrait (4:44)
    10. Avatar - Climbing Up Iknimaya / The Path to Heaven (3:19)
    11. The Mask of Zorro - Zorro's Theme (3:02)
    12. Casper - Casper's Lullaby (5:41)
    13. Braveheart - For the Love of a Princess (4:08)
    14. Glory - End Title (6:53)
    15. Cocoon - Theme (6:06)
    16. The Amazing Spider-Man - End Title (4:54)
    17. The Rocketeer - Rocketeer to the Rescue (6:26)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Oops, I forgot Legends of the Fall.