• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Oops, I forgot Legends of the Fall.

I was just about to point out the exact thing wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    Replace Spider-Man with Legends of the Fall and you have a pretty solid comp. there.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The later, 2nd part of the Amazing Spiderman score has some amazing cues in it, on repeated listens it's starting to go along really well with me. Some pieces like "the bridge" or "saving new york" are particularly spectacular.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    Those tracks don't really do anything for me. Actually, I'm quite underwhelmed by the whole score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What, no THUNDERHEART?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. As a big Horner fan I think it's completely ridiculous I've never even heard Thunderheart. shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    As a big Horner fan I think it's completely ridiculous I've never even heard Thunderheart. shame

You really don't need to IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    As a big Horner fan I think it's completely ridiculous I've never even heard Thunderheart. shame

You really don't need to IMO.

Agreed. Even for someone who's recently become more interested in ambient soundscapes, this never did much for me. The 'textures' aren't very interesting and quite grating, actually. I sold the CD a long time ago, but I seem to remember there were one or two highlights there; otherwise, quite uninteresting.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. One of those synth low key affairs, isn't it?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    One of those synth low key affairs, isn't it?

Basically, yes. With some tribal/world music effects spread out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I actually grew to like Thunderheart after a few years. You have to listen to it loudly on a quality sound system or headphones to get the full impact of the interesting tribal instruments. Its not all synth.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Horner composed the Universal theme? Which one, the string-led one from the early 90s or that big brassy one used now?
  5. First used in 1995 before Apollo 13.

The one used now is a Brian Tyler rearrangement of a fanfare written by Jerry Goldsmith.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Horner composed the Universal theme? Which one, the string-led one from the early 90s or that big brassy one used now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwi-131_ … re=related

It's my favorite of the Universal themes.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Horner composed the Universal theme? Which one, the string-led one from the early 90s or that big brassy one used now?

-Erik-

Good "fanfare". Very 90's Horner.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    First used in 1995 before Apollo 13.

Quick correction -

Actually first used on Back to the Future - Part III for Universal's 75th anniversary. Apollo 13 does not use it.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

-Erik-

Love that logo with the spinning globe and that 90s tune.

Goldsmith did a good one too, but it's not as magical as the Horner one.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

-Erik-

Yep, that sounds just like him. I actually prefer the current one though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Oops, I forgot Legends of the Fall.

I rectified the situation by picking shorter tracks from Glory and Apollo 13 and chopping the two shorter pieces to make room for it. And suddenly I found I had room for Beyond Borders as well.

1. Legends of the Fall - The Ludlows (5:40)
    2. A Beautiful Mind - A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics (4:57)
    3. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Boys Playing Airplanes (4:14)
    4. Krull - Ride of the Firemares (5:24)
    5. Star Trek II - Enterprise Clears Moorings (3:36)
    6. Black Gold - Horizon to Horizon (4:00)
    7. Apollo 13 - End Credits (6:59)
    8. Cocoon - Theme (6:06)
    9. Titanic - The Portrait (4:44)
    10. Avatar - Climbing Up Iknimaya / The Path to Heaven (3:19)
    11. The Mask of Zorro - Zorro's Theme (3:02)
    12. Casper - Casper's Lullaby (5:41)
    13. Braveheart - For the Love of a Princess (4:08)
    14. Glory - The Year of Jubilee (2:20)
    15. Beyond Borders - Ethiopia I (2:14)
    16. The Amazing Spider-Man - End Title (4:54)
    17. The Rocketeer - Rocketeer to the Rescue (6:26)

Listening to this (featuring a lot of his more recent works as it does) I found myself, not for the first time, wondering why I seem to be the only person who can barely contain his enthusiasm for this man's work these days. His technique is incredible and he manages to combine it with a gift for wonderful melody. Shove Marc Streitenfeld up your arse - this is the stuff that made me fall in love with film music and it will be a sad, sad day when this sort of music isn't heard any more in film (a day I suspect isn't that far off).
  8. I think it is actually very much far off, look at scores that were Oscar nominated last year. A certain type of blockbuster will be always scored by the Djawadis and Tylers of the industry, another certain type will be left to Hans, but the thing is that having James Horner's score for Spiderman not rejected in the movie, I think it says something about a potential shift of style coming to Hollywood.

The interesting thing about me and James Horner is that while I am a guy who loves his 90s output in rather a big majority (Legends of the Fall is one of my top 3 scores, actually, maybe fourth after the huge offensive of Snow Falling on Cedars to my ears in last few weeks) and is quite critical of his albums in most of mid-2000s (The Forgotten and things like that and I completely disagree with you on Beyond Borders, James, I *hate* the electronics there - I love Chechnya II though, one of the best and most desperate action piece the man wrote, I believe; I also really like The House of Sand and Fog, so there biggrin ), I think that in the 2000s Horner became a better *film* composer than he was before.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Please, I'm as enthusiastic about the man's stuff as I ever was. I actually wish he'd score more projects because there isn't much else out there that interests me.
  10. Southall wrote
    Shove Marc Streitenfeld up your arse - this is the stuff that made me fall in love with film music and it will be a sad, sad day when this sort of music isn't heard any more in film (a day I suspect isn't that far off).

You know, one day it's going to be just you & I in a corner with everybody starring at us in anger. I might join them, over the "Back to the Future" theme. In fact, there may not be room enough for the two of us in that corner...

biggrin
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote

Listening to this (featuring a lot of his more recent works as it does) I found myself, not for the first time, wondering why I seem to be the only person who can barely contain his enthusiasm for this man's work these days. His technique is incredible and he manages to combine it with a gift for wonderful melody. Shove Marc Streitenfeld up your arse - this is the stuff that made me fall in love with film music and it will be a sad, sad day when this sort of music isn't heard any more in film (a day I suspect isn't that far off).

Oh yes. I still prefer his newer work to most of the wannabe's churning out scores these days.

But I will probably never love his more recent work as much as those he did in the 80s and 90s.

Update: my current listen of Black Gold makes me reconsider my words above. It's probably the best he has done in years for me.
  11. Southall wrote
    1. Legends of the Fall - The Ludlows (5:40)
    2. A Beautiful Mind - A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics (4:57)
    3. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Boys Playing Airplanes (4:14)
    4. Krull - Ride of the Firemares (5:24)
    5. Star Trek II - Enterprise Clears Moorings (3:36)
    6. Black Gold - Horizon to Horizon (4:00)
    7. Apollo 13 - End Credits (6:59)
    8. Cocoon - Theme (6:06)
    9. Titanic - The Portrait (4:44)
    10. Avatar - Climbing Up Iknimaya / The Path to Heaven (3:19)
    11. The Mask of Zorro - Zorro's Theme (3:02)
    12. Casper - Casper's Lullaby (5:41)
    13. Braveheart - For the Love of a Princess (4:08)
    14. Glory - The Year of Jubilee (2:20)
    15. Beyond Borders - Ethiopia I (2:14)
    16. The Amazing Spider-Man - End Title (4:54)
    17. The Rocketeer - Rocketeer to the Rescue (6:26)

That's a really good mix of his early, middle, and more recent stuff. I like it. At first I wanted to say, "What about 'The Place Where Dreams Come True'?" but then I remembered another cue that I love, and another. Horner has just written too much fantastic music to cover any significant portion of all the stuff of his I love in a single 80 min. CD. He's an incredible talent who has written SO MUCH excellent music. And he's still doing it regularly! I hope he continues for decades more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    AMAZING SPIDERMAN is getting better and better with each and every listen, some mindblowing cues towards the end.
  12. Demetris wrote
    AMAZING SPIDERMAN is getting better and better with each and every listen, some mindblowing cues towards the end.

I look forward to hearing it when it is released.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listening to the score again - the last two monster action tracks are indeed attractive and feature some incredible AND original writing, however, that doesn't make up for the lack luster 15 tracks that came before it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well there's a lot of great material in it, including the opening cue. It just needs patience. But the 3rd part of the score on cd is all mindblowing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was having difficulties getting it as first too....