• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    2009 Erik wouldn't agree with you but 2012 Erik does.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Is it my imagination or are the people who think Spider-man is brilliant are the same that don't talk about Horner's early efforts as being great. I never see Demetris talk about his brilliant 80s output.

It's just you. I love Avatar and I'm enjoying The Amazing Spider Man, yet I also love Aliens and Brainstorm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Am I reading your 2012 reaction to Spider-Man, or your 2009 reaction to Avatar? wink

Yeah... I knew that would come up. Maybe in two years I'll be singing The Amazing Spider-Man's praises.

-Erik-

Maybe! I think it's very good but not remotely Avatar quality, by the way.

yeah

I'm rather enjoying my first few listens of this new Horner score. At this point, I feel it could do with some trimming on the album, but on the whole it's a very satisfying listen. It's a good sign that I had the theme stuck in my head all day after just one listen. That said, I suppose I can understand some of the more negative reactions. I can't understand them with Avatar (though I continue to try).
  2. I know it's my imagination... I was more thinking out loud. It's of course all personal preference.

I happen to adore Horner of the 80s and 90s. I merely like Horner of the 00s and 10s.

I will always compare his modern day scores to the best from the past. I can't help it. It's how I function.

But I have to understand we all function differently, and rightly so. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I made my own Horner compilation!

1. Romeo and Juliet section.
    2. Benjamin Britten.
    3. Charles Ives.
    4. Star Trek II.
    5. Random note-for-note classical piece.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. You should end that compilation with a suite (like you make em) featuring every single four note danger motif from every film it has appeared in. What a way to end that comp. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote

I happen to adore Horner of the 80s and 90s. I merely like Horner of the 00s and 10s.

I will always compare his modern day scores to the best from the past. I can't help it. It's how I function.

I'm very much in the same boat. Horner's first 15 year output was staggering! So many richly thematic, exciting, deeply moving scores that made me place Horner as "my favorite composer" at that time. Or at least an equal placing in the trinity alongside Williams & Goldsmith. That has changed over the last decade (I think).
    I will say I'm glad to see Horner pull out the occasional trick out of his old musical bag that makes me smile now days. He's not afraid to go a little retro of late.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I made my own Horner compilation!

2. Benjamin Britten.
    3. Charles Ives.
    4. Star Trek II.

Welcome to rec.music.movies, 1994! Did you hear the rumour that Monty Norman didn't actually write the James Bond Theme?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is it my imagination or are the people who think Spider-man is brilliant are the same that don't talk about Horner's early efforts as being great. I never see Demetris talk about his brilliant 80s output.

It's just you. I love Avatar and I'm enjoying The Amazing Spider Man, yet I also love Aliens and Brainstorm.

I haven't heard Spidey yet but AVATAR is no way bloody near the excellence of ALIENS and BRAINSTORM.

...and I like AVATAR by the way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I made my own Horner compilation!

2. Benjamin Britten.
    3. Charles Ives.
    4. Star Trek II.

Welcome to rec.music.movies, 1994!

Ah! I see they were geniuses back then, too!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm very much in the same boat. Horner's first 15 year output was staggering! So many richly thematic, exciting, deeply moving scores that made me place Horner as "my favorite composer" at that time. Or at least an equal placing in the trinity alongside Williams & Goldsmith. That has changed over the last decade (I think).
    I will say I'm glad to see Horner pull out the occasional trick out of his old musical bag that makes me smile now days. He's not afraid to go a little retro of late.

That's it basically. He knew how to excite me, how to move me. And he did that for the entire duration of a score back then. The 80s and 90s were chock-full of those scores. Now it's on a track by track basis and even then not that much.

I'm still asking myself what drug I should take to get to love something like Avatar or Spider-man. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Common sense doesn't come in pill form (unfortunately).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm still asking myself what drug I should take to get to love something like Avatar or Spider-man. dizzy

When I returned to Avatar I played it extremely loud. Simon Rhodes' mixes are so low that if you play most of Horner's output since Deep Impact you have a hard time hearing the little nuances in Horner's scores. I found that by turning my speakers up to 11 I enjoyed Avatar that much more. Plus, the writing is pretty solid and Southall's proclamation that it was one of Horner's finest album piqued my curiosity. Unfortuantely, playing Spider-Man really loud only gives me a headache.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    I know it's my imagination... I was more thinking out loud. It's of course all personal preference.

I do not think we should be stuck at the past. Today's film music is very different but of equal merits, imo. There's a lot of great music out there, new Horner included.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Exactly wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    new Horner included.

lol
  7. Steven wrote

If it did, my worries would be over.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

When I returned to Avatar I played it extremely loud. Simon Rhodes' mixes are so low that if you play most of Horner's output since Deep Impact you have a hard time hearing the little nuances in Horner's scores. I found that by turning my speakers up to 11 I enjoyed Avatar that much more. Plus, the writing is pretty solid and Southall's proclamation that it was one of Horner's finest album piqued my curiosity. Unfortuantely, playing Spider-Man really loud only gives me a headache.

-Erik-

With each listen I've played Avatar a bit louder, and I am enjoying it to some extent. Now I like the themes, some of the cues I actually like a lot, but as a listen it just doesn't work as well as his certified 5-star scores. This will never get better than a 4, which in my book is enjoyable, it has good moments, but overall the score comes short, as having too much moments that don't go anywhere, or just are there to fill up space on the disc.

I still have a problem with the 'War' track, which to me sounds so mundane, RC / MV inspired, and unexciting I think it's one of the most anti-climactic battle pieces he has done in his entire career. Compare that one with the one for Star Trek II, well... there is no comparison.
  9. Steven wrote

There is, but it's a 4 inch by 8 inch suppository.
  10. Stop talking out of your ass.
  11. My review of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, if anyone is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/07/09/the-a … es-horner/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012
    I am pleased that this score is getting some positive attention from lots of people. Watching the film, it struck me that it really is going back to a way of scoring a blockbuster that I thought had been lost, with up-front music not afraid to play a central role in the film rather than a supporting one. People have become so conditioned to music that just sits there quietly in the background that I expected more of a critical backlash against Horner for it, particularly from film critics, but that doesn't seem to have happened any more than it ever happens when a composer uses a predominantly orchestral score in a film these days. I'm sure it helped him that the director seemed to idolise him and perhaps it won't signal some new trend in film scoring, but even if it turns out to be a little oasis on a long journey through the desert then it's a very welcome one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Last year's been an incredible one for Horner with this and Black Gold, certainly nice to still hear such scoring approaches in modern, high-profile and mega-budget films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Last year's been an incredible one for Horner with this and Black Gold, certainly nice to still hear such scoring approaches in modern, high-profile and mega-budget films.

I agree! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Black Gold was a high profile, mega budget blockbuster? In what universe?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ah yes, you do indeed have a point there Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Had mostly Spiderman in mind, but in any case, although a flop, Black Gold is still a big and expensive Hollywood film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    $40 million dollars was a big expensive film in the 80's not now.

-Erik-
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    Black Gold was a high profile, mega budget blockbuster? In what universe?

-Erik-

Is it even a film?

(exaggerated response for effect)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am