• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    If we are talking about skill... John Williams has everyone beat by a country mile!

-Erik-

By what criterea do you make such a bold statement? I would agree that he's our greatest living orchestral film composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because he's John Williams. There is no criteria. If you aren't John Williams then it sucks to be you. wink

Williams rules. Fact! End of story!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cop out! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    :whip:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    If we are talking about skill... John Williams has everyone beat by a country mile!

-Erik-

I admire him greatly, but no one tops Thomas Newman in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked
  2. Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Respect!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Horner isn't lacking any in comparison either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He's not lacking but he isn't John Williams who is the best of the best out of the living composers.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    He's not lacking but he isn't John Williams who is the best of the best out of the living composers.

-Erik-

You do know that I was playing devils advocate? It's hard for me to disagree with you so unless someone here can come up with a better argument.........
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012 edited
    Southall's entry was the best counterpoint and I have to admit to being seriously shaken in my convictions.
    So being the dandy lion that I am, I immediately retreat and discuss some Horner (apologies for going off-topic on the off-topic on the on-topic shame )

I like James Horner. love Mostly.

Thank you for your attention.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You do know that I was playing devils advocate? It's hard for me to disagree with you so unless someone here can come up with a better argument.........

Jerry Goldsmith.

END. OF. DISCUSSION.

I remember reading that Henry Mancini said one time, "Jerry, you scare the shit out of us."

No, not "Johnny, you scare the shit out of us."

Jerry wore a chemo pack on the scorng stage, dying, but doing another film score. Johnny buys black turtle necks.

Who did Richard Donner consider for "Superman" first? It wasn't Johnny!
    Jerry had a schedule conflict, then Williams was asked, but Williams had one too, so who did they ask next? Well, they didn't want on Johnny's schedule to clear, they just asked JERRY FREAKIN' GOLDSMITH again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with you Justin but we are talking about living composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You might as well ask what is better, boobs or ass. Everyone's going to have a strong opinion on either, but ultimately they both rule.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If we continued down a route of dead composers then the likes of Goldsmith and Williams would be minnows compared to the giants of the classical world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Williams especially will be the mini-me to Wagner wink

There, i said it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Williams especially will be the mini-me to Wagner wink

There, i said it.

biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....unless you meant THIS ONE? dizzy shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    You might as well ask what is better, boobs or ass. Everyone's going to have a strong opinion on either, but ultimately they both rule.

This was worth quoting for reasons of fact finding and truth bearing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Yes, but some rule more than others. FACT!
  4. Steven wrote

Well, Jamie is the ass, that's for sure.

And since everybody likes listening (i.e., "looking") at Williams, he's clearly the boobs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think maybe this metaphor has run its course.
    Into an iceberg.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    I remember reading that Henry Mancini said one time, "Jerry, you scare the shit out of us."

No, not "Johnny, you scare the shit out of us."

And how does that pertain to the conversation we are having?

justin boggan wrote
    Jerry wore a chemo pack on the scorng stage, dying, but doing another film score. Johnny buys black turtle necks.

What in the hell does that have to do with anything?

justin boggan wrote
    Who did Richard Donner consider for "Superman" first? It wasn't Johnny!

Because he worked with him on The Omen.

justin boggan wrote
    Jerry had a schedule conflict, then Williams was asked, but Williams had one too, so who did they ask next? Well, they didn't want on Johnny's schedule to clear, they just asked JERRY FREAKIN' GOLDSMITH again.

So what?

-Erik-
  5. I'm sure you have a busy schedule of being an awful parent to attend to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That was very uncalled for? No need for nastiness Justin. slant
  6. This just shows who Justin really is...

Erik, please ignore this.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Timmer wrote
    That was very uncalled for? No need for nastiness Justin. slant

Careful Tim. Justin may turn on you and call you and Englishman. Oh, wait! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn