• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    When is Cristiada being released? Anyone got the chance to listen to some promo yet?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I had it for months and got the Varese album yesterday.

Da Da Da Daaaaah! <--- Lots of that!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    4-note danger motif? smile What else? Duration? Instrumentation, style? Themes?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

The bits I heard sounded good and thematic......as long as you enjoy scores like Four Feathers, Black Gold...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Braveheart and Four Feathers are quoted literally note-for-note in the score, that's what I base on the end credit suite and the clips on websites.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

The bits I heard sounded good and thematic......as long as you enjoy scores like Four Feathers, Black Gold...

That is, if you like scores by James Horner?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Four note danger motif with a latin flare. How's about that? Look, there's really nothing new in this score. You've heard it all before.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Yeah, all that seems to be filtered with Avatar, doesn't it? As I said, I haven't heard the whole thing yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

I do! Who doesn't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I love The Four Feathers... Black Gold... not so much.

-Erik-
  4. I can't honestly decide if I prefer The Four Feathers or The Missing, all I know is that I have to choose between the two when it comes to future purchases!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I can't honestly decide if I prefer The Four Feathers or The Missing, all I know is that I have to choose between the two when it comes to future purchases!

I would go for The Missing. So beautiful! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

Four note danger motif with a latin flare. How's about that? Look, there's really nothing new in this score. You've heard it all before.

-Erik-

Good enough for me beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    Save yourself some money and just play the scores you already have. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Haha, good point. Touché wink

But I have this thing for Horner. I can't help it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well no new film music is really produced anymore. Might as well get the one that sounds good at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Well no new film music is really produced anymore. Might as well get the one that sounds good at least.

Uh huh. slant

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well what have you heard in essence the last couple of years that is actually new? It's all variations of Inception, Tron and Zimmer's Batmanisms these days, in mainstream projects at least. And other great guys like Silvestri or JNH are on auto pilot at best. With the exception of Horner, Desplat and the usual bunch of younger composers like Korzeniowski, the Spanish gang, etc. But mainstream Hollywood pictures are all sounding exactly the same...you disagree?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Some may sound similar but that doesn't mean no new music is being composed.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well not to my ears; very few exceptions and they're mostly non-American.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So, Silvestri's The Avengers theme sound exactly, note for note, like??? All of Prometheus is a note for note rip off of what exactly?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    gah gaaag mougaa gaa kiii booooooo!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Demetris wrote
    gah gaaag mougaa gaa kiii booooooo!!

No.....that noise is Dredd.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

I'll still get this one. At this point, a Horner score is like a warm blanket: familiar but comfortable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'll still get this one. At this point, a Horner score is like a warm blanket: familiar but comfortable.

Indeed. I'm just listening the end credits cue, and is very good shocked

The latin arrangement of the danger motif is brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

That's how I feel. I'm still happy to hear Horner reuse familiar themes, techniques and motifs. I know I'm going to enjoy this one.

Perhaps not so much the Four Note Danger Motif. That's like living next to a subway; you hear it all the time, it's not particularly pleasant... but you get used to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't even care how much Horner rips himself off anymore. His music is just lovely compared to most of the rest of the stuff being produced today. I can trust him to always put something worthwhile and pleasing in every project...can't say that about many others, even old formerly-faithful guys like Howard. I still appreciate Howard, Silvestri etc's recent work but its never as sure a thing as Horner. Only Williams is at the same level of trustworthiness these days.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. It does seem that there tends to be a split in opinions when it comes to film music being composed by composers (and not just with James Horner). Some people want to hear continuous development of a composer, delivering something new. And they are disappointed when something too familiar is heard.

Or there are those who don't mind so much when a composer doesn't particularly push themselves to compose something that is new or different for them. They are content when familiar devices re-appear again and again, seeing them more as re-statements of a particular composer's style.

I tend to fall into the latter category: familiarity through the use and re-use of devices, motifs (if I like them) is fine. And can be highlights in an otherwise disappointing "departure".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I would say that with me it pretty much depends on the composer and the particular moment of their career. Horner repeats elements that all you can say is that they work. They can be ridiculed, which they are sometimes, but they still, even if only on a base level, work.
  8. And if they work why not use them?

Sometimes composers just tire of a particular sound and move on and, to some extent, re-invent themselves. Didn't John Barry take the positive step of moving away from the "James Bond sound" once he was finished with them and developed his sound?