• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    I'm now on my first listen and the first two cues had me convinced this would be something good. The score loses its drive and focus shortly after. And those tracks featuring the synth percussion I don't like at all. But when he goes all old-school (Rooftop Kiss for instance) it has its moments. There is also a sort of 'A Beautiful Mind' vibe early on, a bit whimsical which I like. As always, more listens are needed to get a feel for it.

But it doesn't sound like a superhero score at all. Where are the big themes and heroic statements?

Oh wait, I forgot this isn't the 70s or 80s anymore... This is NOW !! shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    I've listened to the score three times already and I don't think I'll be able to handle the first 15 tracks again. If I want my Spider-Man fix I'll listen to Elfman's scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    But it doesn't sound like a superhero score at all. Where are the big themes and heroic statements?

While my reaction to this score is lukewarm, the one thing that it does have, which makes me smile, is a big, bold, obvious, proper main theme! And it's a really good one if I may say so myself.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I've just now finished it and it has some stellar tracks at the end. But like you say Erik, the ones that come before are not as engaging.

Not sure if I want to order this now. I'll probably do so, once I've heard it with the images.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I loved it on first listen and still love it now, 30 listens later. All my moaning about soundalike sub-Zimmer junk in these films for years, this is the payoff I've been waiting for and I'm delighted it's here, finally, a score for one of these films to satisfy me. Don't see what there is to not like about the first 15 tracks, but hey, everyone's different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I think the electronics are rather weak. They don't mesh well with the orchestral material. I'd take Zimmer's synths over Horner's. And there's are plenty of cues that if any other name was attached to the project other than Horner we would be turning our nose at and calling it generic music.

And of course, I'm not to keen on hearing the umpteenth use of music from A Beautiful Mind or The Spitfire Grill in the score. Yes, that's what Horner does but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I will give Horner props though on the use of a tuba in a super hero score. There aren't too many composers these days that use one... never mind as a solo instrument.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Give me The Rocketeer over Amazing Spiderman anytime. Now that was a proper 'superhero' score.
    A single Rocketeer track makes any of the Amazing Spiderman cues sound like a joke.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't see how it makes them sound like a joke, but I agree that The Amazing Spiderman is not as good as The Rocketeer. I'm not sure any score written in the last ten years is as good as The Rocketeer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This will sound strange coming from me, but I think I prefer Horner's SPIDEY over Elfman's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You're retarded! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    silly
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    This will sound strange coming from me, but I think I prefer Horner's SPIDEY over Elfman's.

That IS strange, coming from you! (So do I, but that's probably not so strange.)
  2. Oh, Elfman betrayl. He's gonna send Bartek and Simone out to get you.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. I listened to some of The Amazing Spider Man on YouTube. I enjoyed it. It's some kind of A Beautiful Mind/Avatar hybrid that I didn't think was possible.
  4. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

That IS strange, coming from you! (So do I, but that's probably not so strange.)

Very strange!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. I'm loving the main theme more and more. So simple, yet so powerful.

On a side note, aside from the opening credits theme, Elfman's Spider-Man never really blew me away.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm loving the main theme more and more. So simple, yet so powerful.

On a side note, aside from the opening credits theme, Elfman's Spider-Man never really blew me away.

Me neither.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I listened to some of The Amazing Spider Man on YouTube. I enjoyed it. It's some kind of A Beautiful Mind/Avatar hybrid that I didn't think was possible.

It's James Horner. Anything is possible. Where The River Runs Black meets Apollo 13 is what he should gun for with his next score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm loving the main theme more and more. So simple, yet so powerful.

Spider-Man is good but Spider-Man 2 is phenomenal!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Correction: i am listening and listening, and it's fucking brilliant!

the opening cue
    ben's death
    rooftop kiss
    the bridge
    lizard at school
    saving new york
    oscorp tower
    "i can't see you anymore"

and the suite, titled "promises (spider-man end titles)" are all mindblowing.

Loud volumes obligatory when playing these!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Meh!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Am I reading your 2012 reaction to Spider-Man, or your 2009 reaction to Avatar? wink
  6. Is it my imagination or are the people who think Spider-man is brilliant are the same that don't talk about Horner's early efforts as being great. I never see Demetris talk about his brilliant 80s output.

For now it gets a meh from me also.

I find it difficult to find something consistent in this score, a hook that keeps me interested, although the use of the main theme is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is it my imagination or are the people who think Spider-man is brilliant are the same that don't talk about Horner's early efforts as being great.

It's your imagination. Spider-man is brilliant. Many of Horner's early efforts are great. (Star Trek 2 is my favourite score of the 1980s.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, what does comparing its earlier output with this one or not metioning the former even have to do with the new SPIDERMAN score's merits alone?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. I wonder D, do you even listen to his early work? Just asking I'm curious.

Does stuff like Krull not make you wonder why the hell you're wasting your time with Arachnid-boy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Am I reading your 2012 reaction to Spider-Man, or your 2009 reaction to Avatar? wink

Yeah... I knew that would come up. Maybe in two years I'll be singing The Amazing Spider-Man's praises.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah... I knew that would come up. Maybe in two years I'll be singing The Amazing Spider-Man's praises.

-Erik-

Maybe! I think it's very good but not remotely Avatar quality, by the way.