• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Personally, I can give a less-than-stellar performance time if it is not too bad. The performance on Battle Beyond The Stars is okay - and reflects on the production values of the whole thing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Personally, I can give a less-than-stellar performance time if it is not too bad. The performance on Battle Beyond The Stars is okay - and reflects on the production values of the whole thing.

Maybe, but I'm in it for the music alone, not any associations to the film (which I have thankfully never seen) or the production values therein.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Personally, I can give a less-than-stellar performance time if it is not too bad. The performance on Battle Beyond The Stars is okay - and reflects on the production values of the whole thing.

Maybe, but I'm in it for the music alone, not any associations to the film (which I have thankfully never seen) or the production values therein.

"which I have thankfully never seen"

shocked

The Magnificent Seven in space, Sybil Danning playing the role she was born to play ( a space Valkyrie ) and SFX directed by James Cameron, as a film I can think of a lot worse ways of enjoying myself on a rainy weekend afternoon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

"which I have thankfully never seen"

shocked

The Magnificent Seven in space, Sybil Danning playing the role she was born to play ( a space Valkyrie ) and SFX directed by James Cameron, as a film I can think of a lot worse ways of enjoying myself on a rainy weekend afternoon.

Never been a big fan of "cheap" B sci fi movies like that.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    BATTLE needed a remaster, for sure, but I really have no interest in the score. The shoddy performance is enough to keep me away, plus it's a kind of music I don't like anymore. Had the boot for a few years, think I played it once or twice before I gave it away.

Actually, the orchestral performance as a whole isn't that bad, it's just the trumpets that can't handle it.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. So I'm totally unfamiliar with this music. I've always heard that this is what got Horner noticed and hired for Star Trek 2, so I've always assumed the music was very good. I missed out on previous releases of this score. If I don't have a copy at all, would this be worth buying? If it were highly in demand, I would expect a release of more than 1000 copies.
  4. christopher wrote
    So I'm totally unfamiliar with this music. I've always heard that this is what got Horner noticed and hired for Star Trek 2, so I've always assumed the music was very good. I missed out on previous releases of this score. If I don't have a copy at all, would this be worth buying? If it were highly in demand, I would expect a release of more than 1000 copies.

Simply put yes.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. I think it will sell well. And it is worth it if you don't already have it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011
    Wonderful love theme. Gorgeous.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/m … es-horner/

Yet another compilation release from Silva set for a physical CD release on July 26th. I've included the numbers of some of the previously released Silva numbers
    tom
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Coming from La-La Land Records Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 1 pm PST:

COMMANDO
    MUSIC BY JAMES HORNER
    LLLCD 1185
    LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS
    Retail Price: $19.98

Produced by Nick Redman
    Score Restoration by Mike Matessino
    Mastered by Daniel Hersch at d2 Mastering
    Liner notes by Jeff Bond
    Art Direction by Jim Titus

Rambo? -- A wimp! James Bond? -- A Sissy! Neo – HA, the only TRUE matrix in the world of Cinema is JOHN MATRIX, the one and only character Arnold Schwazenegger portrayed in the immortal 1985 classic COMMANDO!

20th Century Fox Films and La-La Land Records are proud to announce the RETURN of James Horner’s action masterpiece COMMANDO – newly remastered and expanded (now running 61:22). This version of the soundtrack even includes PowerStation’s Power Ballad “Someday, Somehow, Someone’s Gotta Pay” (aka “WE FIGHT FOR LOVE”) the song that runs during the end credits of the film.

Now you can own this great mid 80’s action score and not have to pay those high eBay fees for the original Varese album.

Nothing says Reagan era Americana Bad-Assery like James Horner’s steel drums and pulse pounding orchestrations!
  7. I will wait for the even more expanded version with the announcer talking over the end credits telling us about the next programme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2011
    You watching BBC a lot, then? smile
  8. Commando, not one of his best. Effective and much better than the stuff nowadays, but definitely not one of his best

ah well, I will still listen to it in the end smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I didn't bother to buy COMMANDO, I think it's a very good score but not good enough that I would play it often enough to justify buying it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I quite like the use of the steel drum in Commando but that is about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I quite like the use of the steel drum in Commando but that is about it.

That's probably about it for me too ( plus the sax ).

The steel drum stuff was done better in 48 HOURS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote

That's what made it a must-buy for me.
    But aside from that I really like this score for reasons that are beyond my comprehension.
    Oh well.

Annoyingly this means I have to adjust my pricing in my database again, as the old out-of-print release went for a fair bit of money, and now it's kicked back to $20. I hate having to adjust records. I like static databases!
    I should probably employ someone to continuously update it for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

That's what made it a must-buy for me.
    But aside from that I really like this score for reasons that are beyond my comprehension.
    Oh well.

Annoyingly this means I have to adjust my pricing in my database again, as the old out-of-print release went for a fair bit of money, and now it's kicked back to $20. I hate having to adjust records. I like static databases!
    I should probably employ someone to continuously update it for me.

wave

My rates are reasonable!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
  11. http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/ … struck-oil

One of the most eagerly awaited titles to be premiered at this year's Doha Tribeca Film Festival next month is Black Gold, the adaptation of Hans Ruesch's 1957 novel The Great Thirst. Not only has the epic adventure been billed as the biggest film about the region since Lawrence of Arabia almost 50 years ago, but it has been created with strong regional ties, being partly funded by the Doha Film Institute (DFI) with filming taking place in Tunisia and Qatar.

But aside from helping to plant a sizeable flag in Qatar's emerging film industry, Black Gold is giving the country another reason to celebrate. For when its opening credits roll on the first night of the festival, the first music the audience will hear - the title track - will feature the vocals of a Qatari musician.

Fahad Al Kubaisi, an established singer with several albums under his belt who has been performing across the region for over a decade, was originally introduced to Black Gold by the DFI. The idea was to include his traditional Arabian vocals in the soundtrack and he was flown to London's Abbey Road Studios to record with James Horner, a film composer who needs little introduction, having provided the music for two of the world's highest-grossing films - Titanic and Avatar - plus numerous others. It was here that things took an upwards swing for the 30-year-old Al Kubaisi.

"James said he liked my voice and told me that, rather than just being in the soundtrack, it should go on the opening track," says the Doha-based singer. "I think he liked the fact the song was oriental and in Arabic, and completely different from the other music in the film."

And so Al Kubaisi recorded with Horner what became Black Gold's opening track, a song he says is supposed to reflect the mood of the soldiers in the film as they prepare for war. Another of the film's tracks, a traditional Bedouin song, was recorded by Al Kubaisi with the Qatari composer Abdulla Al Mannai.

"To record with James was a great privilege," says Al Kubaisi. "But the biggest honour for me is the fact that I will be able to introduce the world to the sounds, voices and rhythms from this region. Also it's a matter of great pride for people in Qatar to come together and celebrate a film which will bring our story, art and culture to the world."

Sadly for Al Kubaisi, providing the vocals for the opening song didn't give him enough privileges to get a preview of Black Gold before the premiere. "I've only seen small parts of the film, but what I have seen has looked fantastic."

Set in the 1930s, Black Gold is set to tell the fictional story of two Arabian leaders at the tumultuous time when oil was first discovered in the region, a find that leads to conflicts between traditional and modern values and, ultimately, to war. Directed by Jean-Jacques Annaud (Enemy at the Gates, Seven Years in Tibet), the film sees Antonio Banderas, Freida Pinto and Tahar Rahim head up a stellar ensemble, many of whom are expected to make their way to Doha for the red-carpet screening at the Katara Cultural Village.
  12. Cool, can't wait to see it, or hear it.
  13. 3 new reviews of James Horner material:

- The Karate Kid
    - Project X
    - The Rocketeer

Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    You're missing another star on The Rocketeer review! Bregt, can you fix that? wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nice one Erik beer wink

Though I do agree with Thomas, 4 stars is about right, maybe an extra 1/2 on top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Please explain to me how The Rocketeer isn't a 5 star masterpiece. It has zero faults.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. Maybe he doesn't enjoy it as much as you do?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    I presume Erik means Thomas rating, I'd give it 4 1/2, it's superb but not as superb as BRAINSTORM, KRULL, TREK'S II & III, ALIENS, WILLOW............
  15. Timmer wrote
    I presume Erik means Thomas rating, I'd give it 4 1/2, it's superb but not as superb as BRAINSTORM, KRULL, TREK'S II & III, ALIENS, WILLOW............

indeed, Tim says it right here. You can't believe Erik how much I love The Rocketeer. And I mention it in my review, today it would be a five star rating. But I always compare it with the stuff I heard before, and then stuff like Krull, Willow and Aliens ranks higher than the Rocketeer. And I can't give those 6 stars, so I grade it a little lower.

But of course, everyone his own impression eh wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    I don't agree with your logic. Just because his earlier scores are great, then The Rocketeer can't be as great. The Rocketeer is on equal playing ground with those earlier masterpieces.