• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    Sunil?

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahah was he a Horner freak as well? can't tell!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not sure but he sure was a pain in the ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Any chance that anyone could please link to the original article?
    I'd actually be quite interested to see what Horner has to say on the subject!

I just tried to find it with no luck confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Here you go!

This was Avatarded's original post! Thank you Google! wink

--------------

This week Horner is in Doha, Qatar helping to promote the film "Black Gold" which was made in conjuction with the Doha Film Institute.

He gave a 15 minute interview about the process of scoring and addressed directly the issue of his re-using music, which was always what I personally imagined it to be.

There's also a callback to the 2003 FSM print interview where he referred to notes and note combinations, which at the time he described from a mathematical point of view:

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/339269/ja … l-audience

On unfair criticisms

Horner addressed allegations that he sometimes “transposes hooks, orchestral motifs, or larger passages from other scores of his own or of other composers.”

What he said should put a lid on the matter.

“I’m very influenced---my whole life has been into classical music---and I can’t see how that influence doesn’t affect my writing or leak out in some way that I’m not even aware of. I just know that that was my whole world for so many years…that it is inevitable---but I don’t do anything on purpose.”

He cited painter Monet to bolster his point as regards charges that he sometimes uses larger passages from his own scores.

“He [Monet] did how many [paintings of] water lilies and sold them to different clients---and it was never issue. It’s just a great painter doing a series of paintings as opposed to a one-of.

“But in composing, Hollywood is absolutely ruthless on your reusing, further exploring ideas that you may have uncovered in earlier film. So the idea of my finding a great idea… that I could explore further in my next movies…is [supposedly] ‘against’ the ‘rules.’”

He admits that how the music world works is “very confining” especially since there are only so many note combinations.

“If it’s not in the next 10 years, then it’s in the next 20 years that you’d run out of four-note combinations that don’t ‘infringe’ on someone else’s four notes.

“It’s also because the audience listens to only tonal music which completely negates avant-garde or atonal type of music. People listen to only one kind of music so you’re going to run into other people’s four notes whether you like it or not.”

Now obviously this won't change a thing. People who consider him a "hack" or "thief" will continue to do so until the end of time.

This isn't really meant to start another debate on the so-called issue, it's just interesting to read his remarks on the subject, especially since they are so recent.

--------------
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My God the more i look at it the more retarded it is. Him, the place and the people who fought for this biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a topic of debate for sure
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers Erik. Interesting to read, though far less controversial or illuminating than I would have expected from the hullaballoo.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the way Horner explains the way he reuses melodies and ideas. It's something I actually like about Horner (or at the very worse it doesn't bother me... except maybe for the Four Note Danger Motif).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote

Discussing Horner's self-plagiarism is more like the most cliched, uninteresting and dead horse there is to beat in the entire history of film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote

Discussing Horner's self-plagiarism is more like the most cliched, uninteresting and dead horse there is to beat in the entire history of film music.

It is! I noticed his classical references from the very begining, it's funny how none of it ever bothered me until I found other fans/jerks to talk to about it, I was happily "ignorant" until I joined the FSM forum in 1999.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    using classical music is not new
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote

Discussing it is fine. It's there, he does it whether you like it or not. It exists. It's always something to discuss, just like any other facts regarding scores, new or old. Arguing about it is a different matter.

I think it's a shame people can't accept that's the way he works. Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote

Discussing it is fine. It's there, he does it whether you like it or not. It exists. It's always something to discuss, just like any other facts regarding scores, new or old. Arguing about it is a different matter.

Nah, I'm with Demetris. It was perhaps a fresh and interesting debate back in the mid 80's. Now it falls in the same category as "Williams vs. Goldsmith", "Everything used to be so much better back in the old days", "Zimmer sucks!", "Elfman doesn't compose his own music" and other dead horses in film score land.

I just don't understand how people find the stamina to continue the discussion as if it were the latest revelation.

Then, of course, you could argue (and many have) that when I say this it's like the pot calling the kettle black, since I have seemingly unrestricted stamina on the C&C issue, but that's different. That's just me and my opinion (few other people find it interesting). The Horner issue seems to attract people talking about it as the latest thing. A whole BUNCH of people...from both sides. Over and over again. It's still a hot topic, 30 years and a gazillion threads later! That's baffling to me.

I do think it's a fascinating phenomenon, though, and I still have a kind of 'meta' interest in the whole thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    C&C is also tiring wink

Let's talk about Paul Hasliner, Wandmacher, Tyler Bates suck etc. Fresh stuff wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    C&C is also tiring wink

Let's talk about Paul Hasliner, Wandmacher, Tyler Bates suck etc. Fresh stuff wink

Sure but there's nobody to argue with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote

Nah, I'm with Demetris. It was perhaps a fresh and interesting debate back in the mid 80's. Now it falls in the same category as "Williams vs. Goldsmith", "Everything used to be so much better back in the old days", "Zimmer sucks!", "Elfman doesn't compose his own music" and other dead horses in film score land.

I just don't understand how people find the stamina to continue the discussion as if it were the latest revelation.

I don't mean talking about it in depth like that, I mean discussing it intelligibly. Like "This new Horner score has this theme from this Horner score. Isn't it interesting the way he uses it again to create a similar mood for a different film?"

That's the kind of discussion I'm talking about. Not "I HATE HORNER, HE KEEPS REUSING HIS OLD MATERIAL! SOMEBODY AGREE WITH ME!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fair enough wink that's healthy discussion you are talking about almost valid for every composer out there
  1. J.J. ANNAUD TALKS ABOUT JAMES HORNER
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8l1l5 … r_embedded

No word yet when and where the score will be released.

http://blackgold-themovie.com/music/
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    Hi everyone !!!.Does anyone know anything about Black Gold? Im soo much looking forward to that one, and not even a sample or clip anywhere. I read already some reviews but they are too generic and anyway i believe only to my own ears :D.....but they described it sweeping and Mask of Zorro style. Hopefully there will be a release soon!
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    I am interested in that too. On Film Music Monthly's message board someone posted a link to a clip which seemingly has some of Horner's compositions in it. I cannot open it from where I am but maybe you can.

See the third post on the second page: FSM: Horner scores BLACK GOLD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    Yes Blu i saw that trailer...i wont be 100% sure though that music under was written by Horner...! Im never sure when its about music under the trailer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    Black Gold Making-of with a few scenes with Horner recording at Abbey Road with the LSO:

http://www.warnerbros.fr/making-of-or-n … 2011-11-24

The music in this is obviously from the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!Love it so far!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    WOLFEN
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    WOLFEN

Had this boot once. Decent horror score, I guess, but not really my thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    i have never heard that one!!!!Interesting...i will listen to it..
  2. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    WOLFEN

Had this boot once. Decent horror score, I guess, but not really my thing.

I might just get it... It's what I call a mediocre score by Horner but that was the bootleg presentation. Maybe this release will improve my opinion of it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I will get this!

You will?