• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    Darn GREAT score! Shame it stars Will Smith's 'too self aware and knows it' sprogg.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I don't understand why that's bad. I thought he made a good performance in the film.
  2. The final 10 minutes of that film cements Horner's position as the best composer working in film today. Talk about heroic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited
    Until he dies the title of best composer working today is still in John Williams' hands! FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011
    You're starting to sound like me! spin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011 edited
    mmm... maybe true... but I also give a strong vote to Frederic Talgorn... which IMHO is a kind of Williams, mixed with Herrmann and Goldsmith... superb! This man can compose truly wonderful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF8YK7Fx1zw
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The final 10 minutes of that film cements Horner's position as the best composer working in film today. Talk about heroic.

Great use of the main theme. But it's a shame that the movie ends with Horner's music, and goes right with Bieber.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011
    Good! Sounds like it could be a very music-friendly film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Until he dies the title of best composer working today is still in John Williams' hands! FACT!

-Erik-

At which time the mantle will be passed on to Alexandre Desplat. FACT! wave
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011
    Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Horner:

Black Gold
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/07/01/james-horner-to-score-black-gold/

Fantastic!!!
    Go for gold, Mr. Horner!!!smile
  4. Scorefanatic wrote
    New project for Horner:

Black Gold
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/07/01/james-horner-to-score-black-gold/

This article had me at Enemy at the Gates. Between this and Cristiada, Horner seems to be returning to epic form this year. How exciting...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

:eyebrow raised to Empire State Building level:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    Burj Dubai even!
  5. fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

if that's the future of filmmusic, then kill me now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

My "future" is already HERE, it's mostly full of exceptionally mediochre talent but I'll live with it ( just ).

p.s. Alexandre Desplat is one of a handful who does have exceptional talent.
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Gun or poison? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Fortunately these FACTS are just opinions wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    No... they're facts!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Whatever!

The only thing I will say is that JOHN WILLIAMS is now the only film composer whose latest score I would buy without having heard any of it.

FACT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    ^

Ditto!
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Gun or poison? tongue

both, one might not do it wink
  8. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

My "future" is already HERE, it's mostly full of exceptionally mediochre talent but I'll live with it ( just ).

p.s. Alexandre Desplat is one of a handful who does have exceptional talent.

Desplat has got exceptional talent, and I honestly understand why he's so admired. But he doesn't do a bloody thing for me, plus he doesn't get/take a break (which ought to work on the lack of creativity)

I'm just saying, great composers who don't get a chance, mediocre ones who do and several A-list composers who's style I don't like at all. My future doesn't look so good sad
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    fommes wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Gun or poison? tongue

both, one might not do it wink

Call me old fashioned but I prefer the electric chair.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS – ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK - FEATURING MUSIC COMPOSED BY JAMES HORNER - TO BE RELEASED ON JULY 18th, 2011 ON BSX RECORDS

A Battle beyond Time, beyond Space…

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/babestorsoby.html
    SRP: $15.95

LIMITED EDITION OF 1000 UNITS

LISTEN TO A SOUNDCLIP FROM "BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS"
    http://buysound.solo.net/Battle%20Beyon … 20Stars%20(BSX)/01%20-%20Main%20Title.mp3

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS – ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK - FEATURING MUSIC COMPOSED BY JAMES HORNER - TO BE RELEASED ON JULY 18th, 2011

(July 6tht, 2011, Los Angeles, CA) BUYSOUNDTRAX Records will be releasing BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, featuring music composed by James Horner (STAR TREK II & III, KRULL, ALIENS, AVATAR) for the 1980 science fiction cult classic directed by Jimmy T. Murakami (WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, CHRISTMAS CAROL: THE MOVIE, HEAVY METAL), produced by the great Roger Corman, featuring a script by John Sayles (PIRANHA, THE HOWLING, ALLIGATOR, MATEWAN, LONE STAR) and Anne Dyer, starring Richard Thomas (THE WALTONS), Robert Vaughn (THE MAN FROM U.N.C.LE., THE MAGNIFICENT 7), George Peppard (THE BLUE MAX, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S, THE A-TEAM), Darlanne Fleugel (TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A., RUNNING SCARED), Sybil Danning, Morgan Woodward, Earl Boen, Jeff Corey, Sam Jaffe and John Saxon (ENTER THE DRAGON, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, JOE KIDD).

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS tells the story of the people of the planet Akir, who have come under siege by a conquering alien race, the Malmori, led by the evil Lord Sador (Saxon). Disrupting their peaceful agrarian existence, Sador arrives in his command ship and issues an ultimatum to the Akira. Submit to his rule or be destroyed by his Stellar Converter, the most powerful weapon in the universe. In an act of desperation, young farmer Shad (Thomas) escapes in a sentient starship called Nell with the intentions of hiring mercenaries to help the Akira defend themselves against Sador and the Malmori. With little to offer in the way of compensation, Shad is able to gather a group of mercenaries, each with their own unique skills and motivations and returns with them to Akir to prepare their defenses.

Released in the wake of STAR WARS in 1980 amidst a slew of other imitators, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS set itself apart from the other films with a charming and clever script that was equal parts STAR WARS and Akira Kurosawa’s SEVEN SAMURAI, sprinkled with THE MAGNIFICENT 7. BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS also gave several key people in the movie industry some of their first jobs, such as director James Cameron, here serving as art director, producer Gale Anne Hurd, serving on this film as assistant production manager, and composer James Horner, whose work in this film helped producers of the STAR TREK franchise make their decision to hire him to score STAR TREK II and III, beginning Horner’s rise to prominence as a film composer.

In 1980, at age 26, having written some additional music for Roger Corman’s UP FROM THE DEPTHS and following his first solo efforts on THE LADY IN RED and HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, James Horner prepared to take on his first big film scoring assignment. With John Williams’ STAR WARS and Jerry Goldsmith’s STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE as his barometer, Horner set out to write a large scale symphonic score cut from the same cloth, in the grand symphonic tradition of the composers of the Golden Age. The budget of BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS would not permit the large size orchestra that he had in mind but even with an orchestra of 62 players, he was able to show that he was ready and able to write music on a larger scale. BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS contains all the hallmarks that fans would come to look forward to in James Horner’s fantasy music: a heroic main theme, a pretty violin love theme and much more, chockfull of melody and passion.

In addition to James Horner’s great orchestral score, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS also benefited from sound design and additional music composed by Alan Howarth. Already acknowledged for his talents as a sound designer on films such as STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, GALAXINA and THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, Howarth was hired by Roger Corman as sound designer for BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS and Alan provided sounds for the spaceships used in the film, as well as laser weapons and processing several dialogue tracks for computer voice effects, working together with sound editor David Yudall. Howarth also worked with James Horner to develop futuristic source music for one of the scenes in the film that introduced Gelt, the character played by Robert Vaughn.

Previously released on a scarce compact disc by GNP Records in 2001, BUYSOUNDTRAX Records now presents the original motion picture soundtrack to BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, featuring music composed by James Horner, conducted by David Newman, to coincide with the DVD and Blu-Ray release of the film on 7/12/11. The booklet features notes by author Randall Larson and the music has been newly mastered for the highest fidelity possible by James Nelson of Digital Outland. The music has been re-sequenced into film order for the first time. In addition, available for the first time, is a musical source cue composed by Alan Howarth, along with a library of sound effects developed by Howarth for the film. Concluding the album and our tribute to James Horner’s seminal composition is an exciting concert arrangement of the main theme from BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS, produced by James Fitzpatrick for Silva Screen Records in 1998, powerfully performed by the City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS is a limited edition of 1000 units.

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS is available for pre-order at www.buysoundtrax.com for $15.95 and is expected to start shipping on July 18th, 2011.

TRACK LIST

1. Main Title (1:59)
    2. Malmori Rear Guard (3:46)
    3. Love Theme (3:48)
    4. Cowboy and the Jackers (3:30)
    5. Nanelia's Capture (1:24)
    6. The Hunter (1:35)
    7. Nanelia (1:28)
    8. The Battle Begins (4:28)
    9. The Maze Battle (3:06)
    10. Gelt's Death (1:25)
    11. Nanelia and Shad (1:23)
    12. Heading For Sador (0:55)
    13. Cowboy's Attack (1:42)
    14. Shad's Pursuit (3:18)
    15. Destruction of Hammerhead (3:35)
    16. Epilogue and End Title (4:58)
    Music Composed byJames Horner

BONUS?TRACKS
    17. Gelt’s Chamber
    Music Composed by Alan Howarth

BATTLE?BEYOND?THE?STARS
    SOUND?EFFECTS?LIBRARY
    Created and Produced by Alan Howarth
    18. Command Ship Radio Chatter
    19. Drone Chatter #1
    20. Drone Chatter #2
    21. Drone Chatter #3
    22. Drone Chatter #4
    23. Drone Chatter #6
    24. Drone Chatter #7
    25. Drone Chatter #8
    26. Drone Chatter #9
    27. Drone Chatter #10
    28. Drone Chatter #11
    29. Drone Chatter #12
    30. Drone Chatter #13
    31. Drone Chatter #14
    32. Laser Artillery #1
    33. Laser Artillery #2
    34. Laser Artillery #3
    35. Laser Artillery #4
    36. Stereo Fly-Bys
    37. Pass-Bys with Vocoder
    38. Hammerhead Low Rumble
    39. Nell Cave Launch - 1st Stage
    40. Nell Cave Launch - 2nd Stage
    41. Nell Cave Launch - 3rd Stage
    42. Nell Fly Away
    43. Nell Engine Build-Up
    44. Nell Exterior Fly-By
    45. Nell Maneuvering Thrusters
    46. Bad Guy Lasers
    47. Telemetry #1
    48. Laser Blast
    49. Sonic Tank Short Blast
    50. Sonic Tank Long Blast
    51. Drone Chatter #5 (Long Live Lord Sador)

52. Theme from BATTLE?BEYOND?THE?STARS
    Music Composed by James Horner
    Performed by the
    City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra
    Conducted by Nic Raine
    Produced By James Fitzpatrick
    Courtesy of SILVA SCREEN RECORDS © 2011
  10. I just saw this myself at FSM. I'll pass on this. I have all I want with the GNP release I have. Plus, the thought of having an additional 14 tracks of "Drone Chatter" doesn't really appeal!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here Alan, I have the release that's twinned with HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP ( I think I played that one once? ), I like BBTS but I don't need any extras.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    If this contained the complete score I'd buy it in a snap.
    Quite a few good cues still not available (perhaps lost).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BATTLE needed a remaster, for sure, but I really have no interest in the score. The shoddy performance is enough to keep me away, plus it's a kind of music I don't like anymore. Had the boot for a few years, think I played it once or twice before I gave it away.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Thor your post was 100% predictable! wink