• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011
    I knew about that but never heard anyone who uses it...let me look it up. Thanks!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011 edited
    I use a program called Allway Sync. http://allwaysync.com/
    Don't know how well the Microsoft built-in feature works, but previous versions of Microsoft file syncing software had annoying bugs so I've stayed away from them for years.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I tend to use Robocopy (is that what it is called?) and have defined specific folders for it to check and back up any changes to the folders. And I did some disk images some time back.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2011
    Thanks, i am considering some solution that auto backups all the time 'cause my images are changing all the time, with downloading and re-arranging stuff all the time; kinda like what Erik described above. I might try alwayssync too. Thanks
  2. There must be a topic area where all this can be discussed without giving me the daily impression that fresh and exciting news is out about the titular composer. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    Am I the only one enjoying the computer talk over the Desplat talk? wink tongue
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011
    Get out
  3. First clip of the film I've seen:
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/04/t … pitt-clip/
    Music is definitely not Desplat. Brahms? Good old Malick! Oh well, will probably still be a great time at the movies for me, if that clip is anything to go by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011
    Great clip, being a Malick fan, I'm looking forward to see the movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Looks gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want DINOSAURS!

Otherwise it will be a major disappointment. biggrin
    Kazoo
  4. Unless that moving bush was a triffid then I'm not interested. Yawn!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Bregt wrote
    I want DINOSAURS!

Go to Disney then biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    I want DINOSAURS!

YES and YES!!!! Anything less is not worthy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I want DINOSAURS!

Go to Disney then biggrin

...if you like cute ones that talk, sure. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011 edited
    I want them to eat Brad Pitt!!!!! dino
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Stop saying stuff I agree with! dizzy biggrin
  5. It seems about time someone heard this album other than Alan. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    I want DINOSAURS!

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Wow, I was already excited to see the film. Now I'm dying to see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    yeah

This could be one of my favorite movie ever! And the thing with Malick is that you really have to wait for his movies, but it's worth the waiting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote

Eat him?! It's the last thing I would do to Brad Pitt! (I hope my boyfriend doesn't read this!!! shame )

I can't wait for HP7 Part 2! In between I listened to Painted Veil yesterday and it took my breath away yet another time!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - fast five

Unoriginal but also the most adrenaline-fueled, fun score i've heard this year. Awesome when played loud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011 edited
    NP: Merlin - Trevor Jones

What a great main theme, Trevor Jones really knows how to write a great theme.
  7. We're in Desplat country here and not NP. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - fast five

Unoriginal but also the most adrenaline-fueled, fun score i've heard this year. Awesome when played loud.

Ahhhh! A wonderful Desplat score, one of his best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Merlin - Trevor Jones

What a great main theme, Trevor Jones really knows how to write a great theme.

This is not a bad score for Desplat, possibly even better than the one mentioned in the post above.
  8. Some thoughts about the album of ... Tree of Life

If you took Desplat's The Beat My Heart Skipped ... threw in Christopher Young's The Tower... and considered John Adams' minimalism (not Harmonielehre so much as 'Shaker Loops', although moments recall 'Meister Eckhart' from Harmonielehre), then that would set you up well to expect what you will hear here. This is possibly the most minimalist film score ever written, and certainly on the more austere side of Desplat's writing (Prophete, Beat, etc). Although for all that, the tone shifts cold and warm in the space of a note -- the harmonies are carefully contrived to these effects. A moment late in 'Circles' goes from this minimalist energy to a note that somehow barely brings in the thought of pastoral Americana... it's got some very subtle touches like that.

Highlights are 'Circles', a minimalist showpiece with the clearest debt to Adams (although the harmonies and colours are all Desplat), and 'Rivers', with its expression of the main theme. 'Motherhood' is as romantic as it gets, the rest keeps that distance that many have come to dislike from Desplat. There isn't a climax/catharsis a la 'Journey to the Line' or the Wagner material from The New World, presumably if Malick has one, it's come from his classicalLY sourceD music. (Keeping in mind that will probably be used non-diegetically, which incidentally, I always did.) But then it's hard to tell what the chemistry between picture and sound will be. Of all Malick scores, perhaps Morricone's Days of Heaven comes to mind, in the way that this score feels like the rhythms of a life that keep turning, divorced from the melodrama of the story.

'Emergence of Life' directly references the throbbing bass pulses of Syriana.

What is a pleasure to hear is that a composer has been given room to just write to ideas, very much as his interest drove him. The pieces have room to breathe, and who knows whether much of it has ended up in the film in this form, but at least we get to hear to ideas in full here. Last section of the album plays a bit slower. Another setpiece a la 'Circles' wouldn't have hurt to enliven things. This is very much an album that can go by without you knowing.
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    Some thoughts about the album of ... Tree of Life

If you took Desplat's The Beat My Heart Skipped ... threw in Christopher Young's The Tower... and considered John Adams' minimalism (not Harmonielehre so much as 'Shaker Loops', although moments recall 'Meister Eckhart' from Harmonielehre), then that would set you up well to expect what you will hear here. This is possibly the most minimalist film score ever written, and certainly on the more austere side of Desplat's writing (Prophete, Beat, etc). Although for all that, the tone shifts cold and warm in the space of a note -- the harmonies are carefully contrived to these effects. A moment late in 'Circles' goes from this minimalist energy to a note that somehow barely brings in the thought of pastoral Americana... it's got some very subtle touches like that.

Highlights are 'Circles', a minimalist showpiece with the clearest debt to Adams (although the harmonies and colours are all Desplat), and 'Rivers', with its expression of the main theme. 'Motherhood' is as romantic as it gets, the rest keeps that distance that many have come to dislike from Desplat. There isn't a climax/catharsis a la 'Journey to the Line' or the Wagner material from The New World, presumably if Malick has one, it's come from his classical source music. But then it's hard to tell what the chemistry between picture and sound will be. Of all Malick scores, perhaps Morricone's Days of Heaven comes to mind, in the way that this score feels like the rhythms of a life that keep turning, divorced from the melodrama of the story.

'Emergence of Life' directly references the throbbing bass pulses of Syriana.

What is a pleasure to hear is that a composer has been given room to just write to ideas, very much as his interest drove him. The pieces have room to breathe, and who knows whether much of it has ended up in the film in this form, but at least we get to hear to ideas in full here. Last section of the album plays a bit slower. Another setpiece a la 'Circles' wouldn't have hurt to enliven things. This is very much an album that can go by without you knowing.

You took the words right out of my mouth! wink
  10. The flipside of that is you gave me a voice. wink