• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    Now there are two of us. A master and an apprentice!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. But which was this? The master... or the apprentice?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Khara Rath Amah.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Dreadful speak give?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Duel of the Fates lyrics, Alan... Duel of the Fates! When Darth Maul pops up on screen the chorus whispers "Khara Rath Amah."

-Erik-
  3. Yeah. I found a site (Wookipedia?) that offered the above translation for the words you quote.

My language comprehension at school was not very good. And it still shows.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only the themes of Williams are truly worth it, from the first 2 scores. The rest is snoozefest.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Only the themes of Williams are truly worth it, from the first 2 scores. The rest is snoozefest.

Oh my God... how can you say that with a straight face?! Even Hopper wrote a couple of catchy tunes.

Azkaban has "A Window To The Past, Buckbeak's Theme, and Double Trouble."
    Goblet has "Harry in Winter and Hogwart's Hymn"
    Order of the Phoenix has the excellent "Professor Umbridge"

Come D... smarten up.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, nah not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You don't like Prisoner of Azkaban, Demetris?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah yeah, Askaban too.
  4. Finally, a man who believes in using a broad sword for soundtrack reviewing.
  5. You know what's the best solution? Keep listening the Williams scores and all happy. No matter how good or bad is going to be Part 2, or how well it works into the film, you still are going to hate it, because it's not "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Alexandre Desplat revisits John Williams". Keep listening to Williams, no more complains, no more 10.000 posts here, Filmtracks, talking the same thing.

Also, unlike Twilight, the HP fans appreciate the music of the composers, and not only Williams, also Doyle, Hooper and Desplat.
  6. Actually, I find it's not uncommon for non-score fans to find Doyle's GOBLET OF FIRE the worst of the lot. Quite why that is, I'm not sure. Sometimes it can be a small thing that cements a bad impression. (e.g. the oompa band when Robert Pattinson is reunited with his father at the end - I quite like it, but I could see a non-score fan not appreciating the irony)
  7. Goblet of Fire is excelent, but sounds a lot like a typical blockbuster film, and not a HP film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    Goblet of Fire is excelent, but sounds a lot like a typical blockbuster film, and not a HP film.

dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It certainly doesn't sound anything like Williams's scores. I do like it but it wasn't till the seventh film that a composer tried to inhabit the same sound world that Williams created.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011 edited
    yonythemoony wrote
    You know what's the best solution? Keep listening the Williams scores and all happy. No matter how good or bad is going to be Part 2, or how well it works into the film, you still are going to hate it, because it's not "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Alexandre Desplat revisits John Williams". Keep listening to Williams, no more complains, no more 10.000 posts here, Filmtracks, talking the same thing.

Don't put words into my mouth and don't tell me how I am going to judge a film score. I haven't heard it... have you? You are already praising it as the second coming of Christ.

Anyway, how long have you been at this board for? If you know anything about me I don't make a final judgment on a score until I have heard the whole thing... and if I can see the film then that's an added bonus and I will make my final, FINAL judgment then.

As for HP7 Part I - I didn't want a Williams clone... I wanted a good score and Desplat's is not good score! It has nothing to do with the fact that Williams didn't score the film. Again, I very much preferred Doyle's score over Williams first. So go suck wind!

Also, unlike Twilight, the HP fans appreciate the music of the composers, and not only Williams, also Doyle, Hooper and Desplat.

That makes no sense whatsoever!

-Erik-

PS - Read my signature. tongue Every time you read a post of mine that quote will be there... haunting you til the end of days! devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    PS - Read my signature. tongue Every time you read a post of mine that quote will be there... haunting you til the end of days! devil

Sadly it will forever remain untrue.

It's nice to see a bit of debate about a score. It doesn't happen very often unless it's composed by Zimmer or his underlings!
  8. Back onto TREE OF LIFE...

As many have said, there is only about 10 minutes of Desplat in it. (So technically Horner did better on THE NEW WORLD! How's that for irony?) The cues that appear are 'Emergence of Life' (as the father visits the court), 'Clouds' (late in the film), and bits of 'Childhood', 'Circles' (only a very little) and 'Good and Evil'/'Temptation' (sort of blended in a one minute section).

Having said that, they should put out the real album for TREE OF LIFE. The blend of classical works is gorgeous.
  9. I wonder what's the need of having a musical score if is going to be replaced by source music. Though I heard that Malick edited his film according to Desplat's score. Too bad that Circles isn't played completetly.
  10. Oh well, at least we get an album.
    I can sort of see why Malick did it. The pieces he chose are mostly 'bigger in emotion' than Desplat. I don't know if he quite needed so many of them, as it does become a bit of a feast after a while.
    Still, the music lover in me enjoyed seeing boys making mischief in the neighbourhood to a glorious use of Smetana's 'The River'. And the Couperin piece that plays a few times is a beauty, a real discovery.
  11. So Desplat's score was, in practical terms, rejected for the most part?
  12. Yeah, though I think Bregt and others said this a few weeks back, so it was not really a discovery for me.

He does get the main music credit on the film though, with all the classical stuff buried in the credits, so they must have come to some arrangement.
  13. It wouldn't have been a bad idea for them to throw a couple of classical pieces on the album, to be honest. As with THE NEW WORLD, many will buy this looking for something else. Or perhaps a conceptual album could have been done which crossfaded between the minimalist score and the more expressive concert pieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011 edited
    I don't think it was rejected... Desplat wrote a good majority of it before editing began (a la Inception.) Malick was always going to use preexisting classical music but having Desplat's original score was another color - albeit original - on his palate that he could choose from.

I think of Desplat's work as a stand alone classical work that was inspired by Malick's film... or an expression of Malick's ideas in musical form.

It's going to be on my Top 10 list at the end of the year.

-Erik-
  14. Suddenly the words 'Canadian brother' don't seem so far-fetched. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2011
    biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Which Couperin piece was used, do you know?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The list of pieces used can be found HERE!

-Erik-