• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013
    Welcome, Enry! Great to see an Italian here. For all the great film music coming out of Italy, I'm surprised there are so few Italian people on film music messageboards.

Sadly, I don't share your enthusiasm for Desplat, but I know there are several here who do -- so you're in good company! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love Desplat. Welcome Enry beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorEnry
    Thanks for your welcome!
    Strangely I don't love so much the Italian music, and no, I don't listen Ennio Morricone.
    I think that a very important composer that could grow up very well is the "newcomer" Dario Marianelli: his score are always original and fresh enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Glad to have you with us, welcome!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah, welcome, friend! Don't worry a second about your English. Great to have you with us! beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    Anybody know anything about Familion? Apparently they're the group that composed the final song on Desplat's Argo soundtrack. I have that little tune stuck in my head and would love to hear more by them but I can't find anything...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2013
    New score!

Alexandre Desplat to Score Stephen Frears’ ‘Philomena

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/05/13 … philomena/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013
    A very timely review of the final Harry Potter score, just 20 months after the film came out:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3921
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2013 edited
    I like most of the review but...

The spectacular finale, “Showdown” and “Voldemort’s End”, sees Desplat parading all of his major thematic material for a spectacular seven-minute action extravaganza, full of not just spectacle but also emotion"

shocked Do you have a different version of the score than I do? On my version, those tracks are a droning fizzle of an anti-climax.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have James version. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Me too. Great score!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Southall wrote
    A very timely review of the final Harry Potter score, just 20 months after the film came out:

Meh. I wish Andrew Lockington had scored the last two Potter films. wink

Although actually this one is really quite good and probably my favorite Desplat score. And even so it stops at four stars for me. Oh well. *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    For me there are two groups concerning the Potter scores. There's Williams' and Doyle's effort, which are nothing short of spectacular and then there is everything else. Oh ya, there's another group as well... The video games scores that put Desplat and Hooper's efforts to shame.
    -Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    For me there are two groups concerning the Potter scores. There's Williams' and Doyle's effort, which are nothing short of spectacular and then there is everything else. Oh ya, there's another group as well... The video games scores that put Desplat and Hooper's efforts to shame.
    -Erik-

Do you include the earlier Jeremy Soule scores in that latter group as well? Because they're decent, but certainly not a patch on the excellent James Hannigan efforts that followed.

I agree with your groups theory with regards to the film scores, except that I'd put Deathly Hallows Part 2 on its own ground about halfway between them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I love Soule's early Potter scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

Meh. I wish Andrew Lockington had scored the last two Potter films. wink

Odd choice given his scores don't have a fraction of the personality and depth of Desplat's music.

Also, I agree with Southall's review. Hit the nail on the head.
  5. Steven wrote
    Odd choice given his scores don't have a fraction of the personality and depth of Desplat's music.

They've got about five times as much fun though. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps, but 'fun' wouldn't exactly have been the right way to score the last Potter films. I think Desplat reflected the tone of the films perfectly. If I was to choose one word to describe Desplat's scores, and I will, it's dramatic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have a better word: Dull.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm glad to see this argument has moved forward so much over the last 20 months. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mind you, the moral of the story seems to be that I should try to hear some of the Harry Potter video game scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

I'll forgive you since you like Avatar. wink
  6. Steven wrote
    Perhaps, but 'fun' wouldn't exactly have been the right way to score the last Potter films. I think Desplat reflected the tone of the films perfectly. If I was to choose one word to describe Desplat's scores, and I will, it's dramatic.

Yeah, I mostly agree. 'Twas only a half-serious suggestion anyway (not that I don't think Lockington could pull it off; it would be nice to hear him on something that isn't a kiddie adventure fantasy movie for a change).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah, I mostly agree. 'Twas only a half-serious suggestion anyway (not that I don't think Lockington could pull it off; it would be nice to hear him on something that isn't a kiddie adventure fantasy movie for a change).

Because of course, Harry Potter is a serious adult film series full of sex, violence, and cynical moral relativism...

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erm, well, yeah... kinda. The last films aren't exactly a barrel of laughs. uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I'll forgive you since you like Avatar. wink

I knew that card would come in handy!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Erm, well, yeah... kinda. The last films aren't exactly a barrel of laughs. uhm

I was just trolling tongue
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

Do you include the earlier Jeremy Soule scores in that latter group as well? Because they're decent, but certainly not a patch on the excellent James Hannigan efforts that followed.

I agree with your groups theory with regards to the film scores, except that I'd put Deathly Hallows Part 2 on its own ground about halfway between them.

I haven't heard every single harry potter game score, but what I heard contained far more magical music than the hooper scores (can't comment yet on the Desplat ones because I want to see the films first)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    He's scoring a new (American) reboot of Godzilla according to the film's website:

http://www.legendary.com/films/godzilla
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    Oh sweet Jesus yes please.