• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 'Checkov's Run' and 'Hospital Chase' were great. How seriously could those scenes (particularly the hospital chase) be scored?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Checkov's Run' and 'Hospital Chase' were great. How seriously could those scenes (particularly the hospital chase) be scored?

I'm not talking about doing a complete dead serious take on teh scene but it made the scene cringe worthy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Checkov's Run' and 'Hospital Chase' were great. How seriously could those scenes (particularly the hospital chase) be scored?

I'm not talking about doing a complete dead serious take on teh scene but it made the scene cringe worthy.

-Erik-

I find this cues quite annoying and out of place, specially for a movie made in the 80's.

The End Credits cue (edited also in Star Trek Aniversary) is quite good, though.

NP: Parlay!

Na naaaaaaaaaaaaanggggg na na na naaaaaaaaaaaaaang!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

Again... not for me! I suspect though that these two pieces are probably lifted from some Russian composer (they don't sound very Rosenman-like) - anyone know this?
  2. Southall wrote
    Again... not for me! I suspect though that these two pieces are probably lifted from some Russian composer (they don't sound very Rosenman-like) - anyone know this?

No, but one cue from Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium ("Triscadecaphobia") sounds exactly the same. Maybe both took it from the same source?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Parlay!

Na naaaaaaaaaaaaanggggg na na na naaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

STOP IT! No one knows what you're on about!! tongue biggrin wink
  3. NP: Empire of the Sun John Williams

Sweet!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Rock (6 composers)

Ok, it was my all time favourite score 10 years ago. A score to die for. But it is a long time ago since my last listening...

Cool man, Cool! Specially the last track, the chase one ( I think Don Harper said is by him)

Media Ventures Glory!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Has anyone here watched any of the World Championship Snooker on BBC?

James? Steven? Anthony? Tim? Alan? etc

I've a music related query which I'll ask if I get any possitive feedback?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Nautilus wrote
    NP:The Rock (6 composers)

Ok, it was my all time favourite score 10 years ago. A score to die for. But it is a long time ago since my last listening...

Cool man, Cool! Specially the last track, the chase one ( I think Don Harper said is by him)

Media Ventures Glory!

It was always credited to Harper - in film and on album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

I don't watch it on purpose, but what's the query anyway?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't watch it on purpose, but what's the query anyway?

It's a great piece of music they use when showing a round up of who will be playing who. I can't identify it and it's quite possibly film music?

It's string dominated with a rock vibe.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Can't say I know it. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Can't say I know it. shame

Have you heard the piece I'm on about?

It's been used numerous times since the Championship began on Saturday. The problem is that if your not a fan no one is going to want to watch two plus hours or more just to hear a snip of a piece they may or may not know? Though I would be truly greatful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Surely it's the Interesting Steve Davis Official Entrance music?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Unfortunatly while I do like watching some sports, snooker falls into my boring camp (including darts, golf and motor racing) No offence to anyone!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Unfortunatly while I do like watching some sports, snooker falls into my boring camp (including darts, golf and motor racing included) No offence to anyone!

I hate ALL of those except Snooker wink

My two favourite sports are Boxing and Snooker..... dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Unfortunatly while I do like watching some sports, snooker falls into my boring camp (including darts, golf and motor racing included) No offence to anyone!

I'm in exactly the same ball park. Snooker is too uneventful, darts is just watching fat men get drunk, golf is...golf, and motor racing is a 3 hour headache! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Oooh, you could combine that fantastically by having guys beating the shit out of each other with pool cues!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I quite enjoy snooker but haven't watched much of this year's tournament. I don't think I've heard that piece I'm afraid.

I hate boxing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Oooh, you could combine that fantastically by having guys beating the shit out of each other with pool cues!

Yes, it's called British pubs on a Friday night.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Scenes of the Crime - Christopher Young

My first listen. I like it so far!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAMIEN : OMEN II - Jerry Goldsmith

Long time no hear...full of satanic goodness! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    NP: Scenes of the Crime - Christopher Young

My first listen. I like it so far!

I've never heard of it! What's it comparable to in Young's existing discography?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

A superb score. Awesome themes, head banging action material, an awesome recording by Mike Ross-Trevor, and one of the best love themes ever composed by Goldsmith. And... I'm a fan of the movie. A great popcorn adventure that I've revisited many, many times!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Rock Complete

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

A superb score. Awesome themes, head banging action material, an awesome recording by Mike Ross-Trevor, and one of the best love themes ever composed by Goldsmith. And... I'm a fan of the movie. A great popcorn adventure that I've revisited many, many times!

-Erik-

One of Goldsmith's very best 'later' scores and one that can stand up amongst his best.

NP : BLUE PULLMAN - Clifton Parker

Wonderful expressive documentary music about the British High speed express train, written back in 1960 when our trains still ran on time slant wink

This 15+ minute piece is from The Film Music of Clifton Parker, another excellent release from CHANDOS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One of my favourite scores that be. The full score is amazing and just goes to show how brilliant this score is!

I think this was his last truly great score IMO. I love it I love it I LOOVE IT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...I should give this one another go, maybe.
    I always rated it below the likes of First Knight and the excellent 13th Warrior.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm...I should give this one another go, maybe.
    I always rated it below the likes of First Knight and the excellent 13th Warrior.

When you have to play, PLAY don't talk! biggrin wink