• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    I've been living off Indiana Jones this weekend. Currently listening to Temple Of Doom - the one I'm least familiar with. Highlights by far are ''Nocturcal Activities'', ''The Bug Tunnel'' and ''Mine Car Chase''. I've got a love/hate relationship with this score - while the new themes for the Indian village/the stones is great, and the love theme is pretty, I cannot stand Shortround's theme (or him for that matter!). I'm happiest when that's not present. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I've been living off Indiana Jones this weekend. Currently listening to Temple Of Doom - the one I'm least familiar with. Highlights by far are ''Nocturcal Activities'', ''The Bug Tunnel'' and ''Mine Car Chase''. I've got a love/hate relationship with this score - while the new themes for the Indian village/the stones is great, and the love theme is pretty, I cannot stand Shortround's theme (or him for that matter!). I'm happiest when that's not present. tongue

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID ! beer

(anyway, for more I hate shortround's theme, I really love his fusion in the raider march in the End credits)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

What's wrong with Shourtround's theme!? Jesus christ man, that's a highlight of the score! shocked
  1. Southall wrote
    Across the Sea of Time - John Barry

Few composers have written as many hummable themes as John Barry, and this one is just full of them. Gorgeous music for a nice sunny day like today.

That is a fine score. I wish I hadn't lost track of my copy years ago. It was a highlight of 90s Barry scores.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

What's wrong with Shourtround's theme!? Jesus christ man, that's a highlight of the score! shocked

No way! It's really annoying. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Shhhhhhhhh...Anthony, God Has spoke! wink

NP: Prince Caspian (harry Gregson Williams)

"sorcerry and Sudden Vengeance" is a really dark track, "Return ot the Lion" a great and honorable track, "Raid to .." a 7 minutes action packed track, " The door in the air" a really touching track.,..

Wow! it's not Powell, Zimmer or Goldsmith score, but it's great!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Across the Sea of Time - John Barry

Few composers have written as many hummable themes as John Barry, and this one is just full of them. Gorgeous music for a nice sunny day like today.

That is a fine score. I wish I hadn't lost track of my copy years ago. It was a highlight of 90s Barry scores.

Where's it gone?

NP : BON VOYAGE - Gabriel Yared

Love this, and for anyone wanting more of that 'Talented Mr. Ripley' sound it's right here in spades! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Shhhhhhhhh...Anthony, God Has spoke! wink

Finally you respect my authoritah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

A damn fine theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008 edited
    After a few minutes of Burn it Down from Alan Silvestri's Van Helsing on an appropriate volume for this kinda piece, I'm hearing the baby from the neighbours' neighbours' neighbours cry during an interval. Still need to get used to living small, I guess slant

EDIT: Wow, that kid is crying quite agressively, what have I done?! shocked

NP: Nothing shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    After a few minutes of Burn it Down from Alan Silvestri's Van Helsing on an appropriate volume for this kinda piece, I'm hearing the baby from the neighbours' neighbours' neighbours cry during an interval. Still need to get used to living small, I guess slant

EDIT: Wow, that kid is crying quite agressively, what have I done?! shocked

NP: Nothing shame

You can always un-do the damage with a little Delerue or Barry wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. "Hannie Caulder"
    Ken Throne

What a great score. A lovely theme which is used in an esepcially toe-taping way in the "Main Title". Don't make scores like they used to.

I actually saw the movie one time and it wasn't that bbad. I knew the second I heard it I HAD to have the score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: Lost - Season 3 - Michael Giacchino

I think that it helps to have seen these shows to get the most out of the 2.5 hours of music on these two CDs. There are certainly several highlights: for me, it's mostly the thematic material that has featured on the previous CDs.

I think that the most affecting music on this selection are the soft emotional segments (e.g., cues like "Distraught Desmond") - really beautiful.

BTW, I believe that this is my 1,000th post!! smile
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    TUOMAS KANTELINEN - Arn - Knight Templar

What HGW's Kingdom of Heaven could have been. Truly passionate, exquisite scoring.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Me want.

Please.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    After i managed to bear 15 whole minutes of GRAEME REVELL's most awful and meaningless noise that is STREET KINGS (2008) i finally switched to actual music, JAN A.P.KACZMAREK'S THE VISITOR, also from 2008.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

What HGW's Kingdom of Heaven could have been. Truly passionate, exquisite scoring.

Indeed, sounds VERY interesting?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP - Prince Caspian

It seems Harry panicked again when the orchestra got too large and resorted to electronics...and I heard an electric guitar in the first cue...why? The Prince Caspian theme is soo generic I couldn't even hum it, and other than that it was just too similar to the first. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed, sounds VERY interesting?

The song from that score is superb. I love the voiceand the choir, the buildup, the melody.
    Touches me each time I heart it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    NP - Prince Caspian

It seems Harry panicked again when the orchestra got too large and resorted to electronics...and I heard an electric guitar in the first cue...why? The Prince Caspian theme is soo generic I couldn't even hum it, and other than that it was just too similar to the first. Sorry, but I'm not a fan. rolleyes

Expected. While it has its fans, the first was VERY vacant and they say this one is not even as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished playing THE IRISH VAMPIRE GOES WEST by Vincent Gillioz. The score is basically based around traditional Irish instruments - penny whistle, low flutes, bagpipes, dulcimer, etc. These instruments are complimented by a small orchestra featuring various types of percussion, double bass and cello.

There are two important themes; the main theme, which is first performed beautifully on solo violin and the love theme which is heard first performed by flutes and then for the rest of the score the penny whistle. There are also some interesting horror moments in the score as the film is a mix of an old time vampire film, with Irish folk legends and the catholic religion. There are a couple of beautiful cues that wonderfully combines those elements. And be on the look out for a haunting solo mezzo-soprano to pop in and out of the score.

A nice score that for the time being is only available as a composer promo.

Check out http://www.vincentgillioz.com/ for purchasing options.

I've now moved onto...

NP: Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

I really enjoyed The Lion, The Witch and the Waredrobe but I felt that Gregson-Williams could have done a lot more with his music. Let's hope he is up for the task with this sequel score. So far, I'm three tracks in and nothing has really captured my attention.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Heavy Metal - Bernstein

Soooo much to enjoy here! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

I really enjoyed The Lion, The Witch and the Waredrobe but I felt that Gregson-Williams could have done a lot more with his music. Let's hope he is up for the task with this sequel score. So far, I'm three tracks in and nothing has really captured my attention.

-Erik-

I am playing it again too; you said it politely; it is boring.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    After i managed to bear 15 whole minutes of GRAEME REVELL's most awful and meaningless noise that is STREET KINGS (2008) i finally switched to actual music, JAN A.P.KACZMAREK'S THE VISITOR, also from 2008.

Could you expand in the Revell? Is it just random banging and synth scapes?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Let's be honest though, I think a lot of us just wanted to skip this one and get to the Dawn Treader! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah. Random electronic sounds and heavily distorted percussion and tickings of all kind, intrusive and non-stop sfx and synths and glimpses of string orchestra here and there. Unorganized, no theme, no melody, no substance. Revell is SO much more capable than this crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote

Let's be honest though, I think a lot of us just wanted to skip this one and get to the Dawn Treader! wink

Arnold? HELL YEAH! This franchise's music is as dead as a stone. It needed a rapid change of composer as fast as possible and i am glad they finally realized it, even if too late.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    I really enjoyed HGW's first score, but I'm with the general consensus on this one -- boring. There are some nice renditions of themes from the first score, but outside that, it's pretty much devoid of any character.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well, I liked "Raid of the Castle." It's nothing ground breaking but it's good to hear a consistency in sound from one film to another. Great to hear the heroic theme from the first film back in this score. Anyway, let's continue on...

Timmer wrote
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

cool

Probably one of the best "sounding" Williams scores ever. It's Eric Tomlinson's at his best.

-Erik-