• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Like an old faithful friend. cool

Like an uninspired mix of all his styles. With an unfortunate use of synths, and with long and boring dramatic pieces ( Am I not Merciful??? Patricide?? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... )

NP:: Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the crystal Skull.
    No! Just kidding...

my Sources are fast, but not so fast.

NP: Indiana Jones Temple of the Doom

A big band song, asian instrumentation, exotic color, satanic vocalals, an old fashioned love theme...

My favourite Indy score, and the most Macho movie from indy!

Anyone knows how I can do a chart for 12 teams soccer competion? all versus all. ( I mean the model to do that in Word or Excel )

rolleyes I need help!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Nautilus wrote

NP:: Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the crystal Skull.
    No! Just kidding...

Gaah, you had me excited for a second! tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Like an uninspired mix of all his styles. With an unfortunate use of synths, and with long and boring dramatic pieces ( Am I not Merciful??? Patricide?? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... )

Good job you're wrong then isn't it.
  1. NP: Cherry 2000/No Man's Land - Basil Poledouris

First Listen.
  2. Prince Caspian, Prince Caspian... slant

Damn, Harry, where are you ? shocked

Sinbad, KoH, even Narnia 1 ?

All this gone ? confused

Where is the powerfull The Battle from Narnia 1 ?

The score isn't really boring, but something is missing...

And I'm a huge fan of Harry & Narnia 1... slant

Scores after scores, Harry keeps disappointing me... All his recent scores have a little something that makes them "HGW" => The Number 23, Gone Baby Gone, Shrek the Third & the Halls, Déjà Vu or Seraphim Falls...

But all this is far from Harry's early career (the "action MV sound" he created but unfortunately hates), The Rock, Armageddon, Enemy Of The State, The Borrowers... and the 2000 - 2005 scores : MGS 2, Spy Game, Man On Fire, Veronica Guerin, Sinbad, Team America, Kingdom & Narnia...

I thought 2 scores could tell us if Harry is back or not... Narnia 2 & MGS 4...

The first is a disappointment...

The second is coming in 2 weeks... 44 minutes of HGW for the final chapter of the greatest video game saga ever... Let's hope Kojima forced him to compose what he does best => electro-action... beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've heard an action track from MGS4 and it's pretty much Pirates of the Gladiators... but more synthy. Big whoop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    I've heard an action track from MGS4 and it's pretty much Pirates of the Gladiators... but more synthy. Big whoop.

Are you actually implying that there's enough difference between Pirates and Gladiator that they're capable of being blended together to create something that is anything beyond what they already were? shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Jordi, for God's sake! I am really sorry to say this and please don't take it personally but sometimes you're full of crap!!!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Jordi, for God's sake! I am really sorry to say this and please don't take it personally but sometimes you're full of crap!!!!!

He just has no ear for subtlety and slowly-developed drama...I can't blame him, I used to be the same way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Charlie Wilson's War

shocked

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS!?!? PEOPLE, GET RID OF THE CRAP AND LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

Are you actually implying that there's enough difference between Pirates and Gladiator that they're capable of being blended together to create something that is anything beyond what they already were? shocked

Good point. Pirates of the Pirates perhaps? Gladiators of the Gladiatorum maybe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

WHY IS NOBODY TALKING ABOUT THIS!?!? PEOPLE, GET RID OF THE CRAP AND LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC!

It's got a nice theme, appropriately patriotic and moving. But I wouldn't say it's that great, the highlight being Handel's Messiah in 'Turning The Tide' (with a nice arrangement by JNH, albeit simply percussion in the background).

The film is excellent, well worth watching. The score isn't very noticeable until the aforementioned Handel piece and the end scene.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

Ok - there's that awesome percussion cue, and that really weird choir cue. I like it. Happy? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Chronicles of Narnia 1 - Harry Gregson Williams

Just back from a major exam amidst a heavy thunderstorm, now relaxing for a brief while with this great score (the next exam's on June 1st). Thanks all of you guys, for your good wishes! They were undoubtebly a big factor in helping me do well. Biology and Chemistry went very well, hopefully Physics will come out nice too; the only problem was that my centre of examination was in a very old, almost "ancient" school which was established in 1920 or something, and we didn't even have a light bulb in the rooms. Because of this darn storm, it went all dark and I could hardly see what I was doing in Physics, and time was already short. I just hope God leads me through wink

Time on computer's still pretty limited, though... passing time mainly by watching the IPL matches (thanks BhelPuri! I caught Shoaib Akhtar's big wickets yeaterday night before going to study smile )
  3. Christodoulides wrote

shocked

It isn't THAT good. Good main theme (which is basically there to give him a likable, patriotic shine), great mix of ethnic percussion of Handel, but the rest...?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Christodoulides wrote

shocked

Yeah Turning The Tide is outstanding ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

He just has no ear for subtlety and slowly-developed drama...I can't blame him, I used to be the same way.

I can say the same about the dramatic stuff from gladiator.

"Patricice" or "Am i not merciful?" are not subtlety or slowly devolped. Give me The Thin Red Line or The last Samurai instead.

And If I want to listen classical music, I take some classical music composer. I don't want Zimmer trying to do that. He has his own voice! (yes, based in the classical lines, but they are not so "classical rip off" !!! )

All this very weird , because i thought a lot of people disliked Gladiator in his realease date.
    rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote

"Patricice" or "Am i not merciful?" are not subtlety or slowly devolped. Give me The Thin Red Line or The last Samurai instead.

Well you already said they're long. And you can't deny that they don't start out slowly and build slowly to a climax. So they're definitely slowly developed. Whether they're actually GOOD is the question. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

Yeah Turning The Tide is outstanding ! punk

...but again not JNH's piece of music. It's part of Handel's 'Messiah'.

(I'd give the theme 3 stars, the score on a whole 2 or maybe 2 and a half.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Well you already said they're long. And you can't deny that they don't start out slowly and build slowly to a climax. So they're definitely slowly developed. Whether they're actually GOOD is the question. wink

Yeap...I can't deny they don't start out slowly....But sometimes the progression touch you or doesn't. For example, "the execution" from Braveheart starts slow and then goes to the climax. It touch me, But "Patricice" doesn't.

It's just a matter of personal tastes, but i find gladiator dramatic stuff too cold (Specially Comodus motif.)

The best track by far is "might of Rome" wich is one of the Zimmer's highlights. If I have to listen the action stuff I take Peacemaker or AWE, and if I want to listen something with more soul i prefer The Last samurai or The Thin Red line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote

Yeap...I can't deny they don't start out slowly....But sometimes the progression touch you or doesn't. For example, "the execution" from Braveheart starts slow and then goes to the climax. It touch me, But "Patricice" doesn't.

It's just a matter of personal tastes, but i find gladiator dramatic stuff too cold (Specially Comodus motif.)

The best track by far is "might of Rome" wich is one of the Zimmer's highlights. If I have to listen the action stuff I take Peacemaker or AWE, and if I want to listen something with more soul i prefer The Last samurai or The Thin Red line.

I understand what you're saying. And "The Execution" is one of my favorite cues ever. I think the intent of the music is where the problem is...Commodus is a rather cold character and his actions in those scenes are very dark, so I think that's why Zimmer chose to score them with cold, dark dramatic music. Whereas Horner was scoring the emotional climax of the movie.

So, you are right. I'm just trying to look at the positive side again wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

I had a good chuckle reading this. Demetris wants us to listen to some"real" music and the first thing that he can think of is Charlie Wilson's War. I don't know, I found it funny!

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    He's turning into a little Jordi Junior. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    He's turning into a little Jordi Junior. tongue biggrin

Funny you say that, because even though Jordi is older than Demetris, I consider him the youngest member on the forum.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nope, that's probably me! angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Gorgeous... absolutely gorgeous. I'm currently playing the dreamy "House Of Hammocks." Has the acoustic guitar EVER sounded this good in a film score? Maybe... but right now I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

In need of some adventure music I've decided to go with a score that NEVER fails to deliver. I'm currently playing a 70 minute personal playlist taken from the 2CD version of the score. All the stellar highlights are here and I'm loving every minute.

This, IMHO, was easily 1996's best score of the year!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Gorgeous... absolutely gorgeous. I'm currently playing the dreamy "House Of Hammocks." Has the acoustic guitar EVER sounded this good in a film score? Maybe... but right now I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

-Erik-

Hmmmm?....Hmmmmmmmmmm?........nope! Guitar sounds fantastic played by a fantastic player. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

shocked

I don't have it and even if I did I wouldn't turn off the "CRAP" I'm playing right now for anything. wink

JNH's greatest "chops" is no match for Prokofiev, not in a million years.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hellboy - Marco Beltrami

Probably the best thing he has ever done. I haven't been too impressed with his out put in the past few years but this one is a definite highlight for me of his later work. "Fireproof" is a killer action cue, I dig the spaghetti western guitar 'twang' heard in the Hellboy main theme, and the unreleased BPRD suite, which is on Beltrami's site, is one of my favorite tracks of all time. Was that put together for the end credits?

Anyway, great score by Beltrami which is up there with Scream and I Am Dina in my books.

-Erik-