• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Do you like the more War of the worlds-like action stuff ? Too disonant and again overusing the flutes and the Timpanis?

Seriously, if what you're talking about is brass, timpani and woodwinds, this is going to rock.

I like more williams old actino stuff. More based in melody.

I confessed in several occasions I dont like the action music from, for example, Prisioner of Azkaban or War of the Worlds.

I was expecting something more melodic, with more adventure feeling and without using every second the woodwinds and the timpani.

It's just my taste. If you like it, then you will enjoy it.

I prefer " slalom at.." , "mine car Chase" , " indy's first adventure", "Escape from venice" or "belly of Steel"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008 edited
    I might just give in an listen to this early then...

I'm giving up hope on enjoying it when watching the movie.

Someone convince me otherwise though!! cry

And Marselus, when you say it's got underscore/albient stuff, is it like the opening on ''South America 1936'' ??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We know not to take your opinion too seriously Jordi as you're always too quick to form an opinion. You never let these things sink in, which is why you change your opinion a lot.

What, you've had this score for one day? Scores like this take time to 'settle in', when will you learn that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I might just give in an listen to this early then...

I'm giving up hope on enjoying it when watching the movie.

Someone convince me otherwise though!! cry

STOP LISTENING TO JORDI MAN!!! Make you're own damn mind up when you hear it and see the film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    What, you've had this score for one day? Scores like this take time to 'settle in', when will you learn that?

Couldn't agree more. I HATED The Incredibles at first. Now it's one of my favourite scores ever! shocked biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    cry:

And Marselus, when you say it's got underscore/albient stuff, is it like the opening on ''South America 1936'' ??

Yes.
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

Absolutely love it !!
    I guess I must be screwed up, but I'm on my 7th full listen biggrin
    I have no doubt before today is over I'll have listened to it all 20 times.
    beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    dizzy Is this all on YouTube you guys are listening? Or has it actually leaked?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote

Well I didn´t mean underscore in a bad way; in the case of Indiana Jones, I prefer a thousand times good underscore and dark material rather than the raiders march over and over again. I hope this amount of dark material makes the movie darker and less comic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    See Anthony? It's just Jordi being Jordi. People are going to like this score!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well as long as it's got some decent action stuff (how long is the Jungle Chase btw?), it can have as much suspense/adventure/evil sounding stuff it likes. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Well as long as it's got some decent action stuff (how long is the Jungle Chase btw?), it can have as much suspense/adventure/evil sounding stuff it likes. biggrin

Jungle Chase: 4:23
    Don´t underestimate the evil suff Anthony, the aliens (?) motif is really good. And Irina´s theme too, when played as evilish music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote

Jungle Chase: 4:23
    Don´t underestimate the evil suff Anthony, the aliens (?) motif is really good. And Irina´s theme too, when played as evilish music.

Agree.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does Spalko's theme actually sound Russian though? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Well...How Im reading what I expected, People who don't want to read bad things about Indy 4...I move one...

NP.Prince Caspian (Harry Gregson williams)

Far, far more enjoyable than the first one. At least it has more action, and it's more "busy".

It lacks of power and memorable moments, but the sound design is so cool that It makes this score worth to listen.

For me the action stuff, doesn't have nothing to envy to "the battle".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Well...How Im reading what I expected, People who don't want to read bad things about Indy 4...I move one...

Reading bad things about Crystal Skull is fine... if they can be taken seriously.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, I don't want to read anything bad about it. I want it to be one of the best films of the year. We just have to face the reality that it might not be. sad
  1. I'm listening to Indy IV for the 1st time...

I have no opinion for now... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I'm listening to Indy IV for the 1st time...

applause

Then you are the most sensible person here!! kiss beer
  2. Anthony wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I'm listening to Indy IV for the 1st time...

applause

Then you are the most sensible person here!! kiss beer

Almost finished...

The only thing I can say is that after Narnia, this May 2008 is not going to be as good as May 2007... wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    rolleyes

You fool, opinions are now officially banned. tongue
  3. Anthony wrote
    rolleyes

You fool, opinions are now officially banned. tongue

biggrin

It's just me...

But you know, yesterday night I watched POTC 3, so it's quite hard to change my mind like that and listen something completely different...

I'm just a HZ fan after all...

But trust me, as far as I know what you like in film music, you're gonna love that Indy IV... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    NP.Prince Caspian (Harry Gregson williams)
    It lacks of power and memorable moments, but the sound design is so cool that It makes this score worth to listen.

Agree, but it´s hard to apreciate it in the first listen. Fortunately in the second one it improves a lot.

Hey Jordi, we´ve reached our 1000th post! beer punk wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost In Space Bruce Broughton

Better than sex.

Okay, maybe not sex. But it's feckin awesome nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams

After my first two listens I'm pretty underwhelmed. There are some excellent moments but for the most part I can't help but thinking of Williams' Home Alone scores, his goofy 1960's comic romps and the weak AOTC when listening to the action material. Of course I need to hear this sucker in the film before I make a final judgment but for me this is the worst of the bunch. Now, I didn't have a reaction like this when the first three came out so there's obviously something "off" with this score.

So what did I like? The Crystal Skull theme and Irina's theme (the sax is a nice touch) - but the comedic, slapstick nature of the action cues really turn me off. And there isn't really a standout cue that can rival ANYTHING written in the first three films. The majority of it is pretty standard fare... and I never use those two words when describing Raiders, Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. However, the latter half of "Departure" was pretty interesting but it didn't wow me!

I need a few more listens but I can't say that my mind will change by May 22nd.

It's a very professionally crafted score and better than most composers could ever dream of creating but it doesn't feel like and Indiana Jones score. It's just way too lighthearted.

You know what's strange? There are other composers writing better John Williams scores than Williams himself.

My two cents,

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Lost In Space Bruce Broughton

Better than sex.

Okay, maybe not sex. But it's feckin awesome nonetheless.

Absolutely!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

There's comical action music in all of the Indy scores so that shouldn't be a surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    @ Erik

Shit.

Comical action music?

There's comical action music in all of the Indy scores so that shouldn't be a surprise.

A limited amount in the first two and a bit too much in Last Crusade... but Crytal Skull's music is just plain goofy music... far too goofy. Kinda "Keeping Up With The Jones's" goofy... and I HATE that track.

Look, none of this rivals "Basket Chase" or "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orcehstra" if that's what you are getting at.

And the Mexican source music in "The Journey to Akator" is just a waste of space as is the concert version of The Raiders March that opens the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So it's Indy meets Harry Potter action?