• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008
    It's a shame; Harry can do so much more with his music than this. rolleyes Anyway, life goes on, another meaningless score....so what? slant
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ...so Indiana Jones in a few days? cheesy smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, I liked "Raid of the Castle." It's nothing ground breaking but it's good to hear a consistency in sound from one film to another. Great to hear the heroic theme from the first film back in this score. Anyway, let's continue on...

Not so genuine if you play KINGDOM OF HEAVEN first and then listen to this wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's a shame; Harry can do so much more with his music than this. rolleyes Anyway, life goes on, another meaningless score....so what? slant

I wonder if we sometimes heap too much praise on a composers shoulders? Is HGW ( and others ) really capable of so much more? Has his well run dry?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Weird that Jordi likes this and nobody else seems to. He's usually the first to be critical of sub-par MV/RC efforts.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I wonder if we sometimes heap too much praise on a composers shoulders? Is HGW ( and others ) really capable of so much more? Has his well run dry?

Gone dry Already? Spy Game / Man on Fire / (parts of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN), chicken run, Gone Baby Gone, the awesome Team America: World Police and the heartbreaking, beautiful Veronica Guerin showcase a very gifted composer. In the last couple of years he sounds like he's bored of every single second he's composing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Weird that Jordi likes this and nobody else seems to. He's usually the first to be critical of sub-par MV/RC efforts.

Don't rush to conclusions; yet wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Gone dry Already? Spy Game / Man on Fire / (parts of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN), chicken run, Gone Baby Gone, the awesome Team America: World Police and the heartbreaking, beautiful Veronica Guerin showcase a very gifted composer. In the last couple of years he sounds like he's bored of every single second he's composing.

I was being devil's advocate but has he dried up already?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    NP - Prince Caspian

The Prince Caspian theme is soo generic I couldn't even hum it, and other than that it was just too similar to the first. :

Agree.

Is this kind of score nice to hear, but nothing memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - the life before her eyes.

Synth and piano only, Extremely subdued and offbeat, mature and serious music with some notably soothing and beautiful piano throughout. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Scribe wrote

Don't rush to conclusions; yet wink

Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    NP - Prince Caspian

The Prince Caspian theme is soo generic I couldn't even hum it, and other than that it was just too similar to the first. :

Agree.

Is this kind of score nice to hear, but nothing memorable.

AHAHHAHAHA! SEE?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I like the first movie themes, and i like the landscape Sound created by Harry.

But agree about Caspian theme, a typical MV tune. And How I said, HGW sound lacks a little bit Power.

Anyway, it's a fantasy score with his own sound. and this is glad to listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with Prince Caspian... and yeah... nothing really new to add to the series. A lot of the same old, same old and at times EXACTLY the same pieces - orchestrations, timing, etc - as heard in the first film.

Oh well. Now on to...

NP: Monsignor - John Williams

I was inspired by Timmer. This is splendid music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with Prince Caspian... and yeah... nothing really new to add to the series. A lot of the same old, same old and at times EXACTLY the same pieces - orchestrations, timing, etc - as heard in the first film.

Oh well. Now on to...

NP: Monsignor - John Williams

I was inspired by Timmer. This is splendid music.

-Erik-

beer

You were right about the recording too Erik, excellent stuff and it was a pleasure to consign my old boot to being a coffee coaster cool

NP : - nothing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lost Season 3 Michael Giacchino

This has some truly subtle and beautiful music. Really nice listen, I think I might make separate playlists for all three Lost Osts; "Lost in Action", "Lost in Beauty", and "Lost in Space".... okay, maybe not that last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gladiator Hans Zimmer

Like an old faithful friend. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Charlie Wilson's War

First listen, quite liking it. "Refugee Camp" is surprisingly intense and dramatic and the fusion of brilliant Requiem-like choir, harpsichord and orchestra work with dense middle-eastern percussion and charming rhythms in "Turning The tide" is mind blowing!

Is that source classical music or his own composition?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: IRON MAN - Ramin Djawadi

Even though, in its basis, it does contain the 'classic' MV signature, Iron Man is a lot less derivative than Jablonsky's Transformers, at least showcasing a style that completely fits the film without evoking strong memories of specific other scores. There's a nifty theme; the rock 'n orchestra moments are really enjoyable (Fireman rocks, for example) and it´s just an entertaining score, even though it won´t get a lot of revisits from me as soon as this summer is over. This being said, the bland music is there for sure and the themes aren´t as strong as they could´ve been. Trashing this score is, however, unfair towards Ramin. Especially when being trashed by the Transformers fanbase slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote

Even though, in its basis, it does contain the 'classic' MV signature, Iron Man is a lot less derivative than Jablonsky's Transformers, at least showcasing a style that completely fits the film without evoking strong memories of specific other scores. There's a nifty theme; the rock 'n orchestra moments are really enjoyable (Fireman rocks, for example) and it´s just an entertaining score, even though it won´t get a lot of revisits from me as soon as this summer is over. This being said, the bland music is there for sure and the themes aren´t as strong as they could´ve been. Trashing this score is, however, unfair towards Ramin. Especially when being trashed by the Transformers fanbase slant

Sorry but it's nothing like TRANSFORMERS mate. While the first is - YES, PERHAPS THE MOST UNORIGINAL SCORE EVER, still it has coherent, masculine, bold themes, terrific energy, and a meaningful development with a beginning, a middle and an ending. It's fun and it's unstoppably energetic whilst IRON MAN is a collection of dispread and messy guitar riffs, without any musical elements bonding them whatsoever fused with random sounds of all kinds here and there and a childishly bad sound that altogether seem like a talentless 15 year old jamming jamming in his daddy's garage with his 100 dollar electric guitar. You can't possibly compare it with Transformers or anything other than stuff like Tyler Bates' DEVIL'S REJECTS. 'Cause this is how it sounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    back to JAMES HORNER - the life before her eyes

And i quote Southall's review, with which i 100% agree:

"As if so often the case with Horner albums, everything comes together beautifully in the extended final cue, "Young Diana's Future - A Future That Could Have Been..." (one of the most wonderful Horner track titles, even by his standards a glorious piece of extravagance). The dreamlike dramatic arc within its twelve-minute length shows that a far greater thought-process goes into Horner's music than most other film composers', the execution of the closing gambit being handled flawlessly. For those people who love Horner's large-scale orchestral rollercoasters, I can see that music like The Life Before Her Eyes might be a difficult listen indeed; for those listeners more readily-accepting of more subtle music, the emotional rollercoaster here will be enough to impress. This is his finest album since The New World, a wonderful example of his skills, and highly recommended."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

Sorry but it's nothing like TRANSFORMERS mate. While the first is - YES, PERHAPS THE MOST UNORIGINAL SCORE EVER, still it has coherent, masculine, bold themes, terrific energy, and a meaningful development with a beginning, a middle and an ending. It's fun and it's unstoppably energetic whilst IRON MAN is a collection of dispread and messy guitar riffs, without any musical elements bonding them whatsoever fused with random sounds of all kinds here and there and a childishly bad sound that altogether seem like a talentless 15 year old jamming jamming in his daddy's garage with his 100 dollar electric guitar. You can't possibly compare it with Transformers or anything other than stuff like Tyler Bates' DEVIL'S REJECTS. 'Cause this is how it sounds.

While I haven't heard the score outside the film, I completely agree with that assessment. I'm not against rock based scores, but Iron Man sounded like someone aimlessly hammering away on the guitar. If they had taken a chance and hired someone skilled in that type of composition, it would have improved the sound ten fold.

NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

A nice and very enjoyable score. My only quibble is the repetition of the main theme in nearly every track. It's a lovely theme, but a bit more variety would have been welcome.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    David wrote

NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

A nice and very enjoyable score. My only quibble is the repetition of the main theme in nearly every track. It's a lovely theme, but a bit more variety would have been welcome.

Indeed. There's the good theme, and the not so good theme. Sadly it's the latter that shows up the most. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOEL GOLDSMITH - stargate the ark of truth

shocked

The opening actually reminded me of CONAN THE BARBARIAN! Now, that's film music.
  1. I hope for his sake Harry Gregson Williams never stumbles across this forum. Who knows, he could take all this negative criticism personally. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    back to JAMES HORNER - the life before her eyes

And i quote Southall's review, with which i 100% agree:

"As if so often the case with Horner albums, everything comes together beautifully in the extended final cue, "Young Diana's Future - A Future That Could Have Been..." (one of the most wonderful Horner track titles, even by his standards a glorious piece of extravagance). The dreamlike dramatic arc within its twelve-minute length shows that a far greater thought-process goes into Horner's music than most other film composers', the execution of the closing gambit being handled flawlessly. For those people who love Horner's large-scale orchestral rollercoasters, I can see that music like The Life Before Her Eyes might be a difficult listen indeed; for those listeners more readily-accepting of more subtle music, the emotional rollercoaster here will be enough to impress. This is his finest album since The New World, a wonderful example of his skills, and highly recommended."

I must disagree with one thing for sure. When it comes to extravagant track titles I prefer "Diana's Young Conscience Is Finally Formed". biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Danny Elfman - Standard Operating Procedure

Much has been said about the high quality of the score and I just want to say that I completely agree. Mature minimalist music, emotional, amazingly performed, better than more other mainstream scores of recent. Elfman having a Glass. And loving it!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Danny Elfman - Standard Operating Procedure

Much has been said about the high quality of the score and I just want to say that I completely agree. Mature minimalist music, emotional, amazingly performed, better than more other mainstream scores of recent. Elfman having a Glass. And loving it!

Completely. In a very poor year so far, this seems like a sure highlight for 2008.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Danny Elfman - Standard Operating Procedure

Completely. In a very poor year so far, this seems like a sure highlight for 2008.

It's a score that has yet to wow me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: Segunda Piel (Banos)

My favourite non-thriller score from Banos. The main theme shares stylistic touches familiar from some of Ennio Morricone's florid dramatic melodies. Gorgeous, if repetitive. Nearly on the level of Angel at times.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am