• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    DANNY ELFMAN - Standard Operating Procedure

Mature, serious and melodic, there's a lot of Philip Glass minimalism goin on in this one, very interesting orchestrations and dense-arrangements, tight and surprisingly melodic - at times even densely dramatic, themes, excellent fusion of electronic and organic (physical) sounds (except the annoying but thankfully sparsely appearing female synth choir and vocals), captivating atmosphere. Very colorful and varied, this is one of the best scores I've heard this year so far, vividly reminding me of Glass' excellent FOG OF WAR effort but distinctly more modern and varicolored.

Excellent effort Mr.Elfman!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Mature, serious and melodic, there's a lot of Philip Glass minimalism goin on in this one, very interesting orchestrations and dense-arrangements, tight and surprisingly melodic - at times even densely dramatic, themes, excellent fusion of electronic and organic (physical) sounds (except the annoying but thankfully sparsely appearing female synth choir and vocals), captivating atmosphere. Very colorful and varied, this is one of the best scores I've heard this year so far, vividly reminding me of Glass' excellent FOG OF WAR effort but distinctly more modern and varicolored.

This is good stuff indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    The Golden Compass | Alexendre Desplat

A fine score from a composer I should probably listen to more.
  1. Steven wrote
    The Golden Compass | Alexendre Desplat

A fine score from a composer I should probably listen to more.

Amen. wink

NP: Surf's Up (Danna)

Great short animation score with a really winning main theme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008
    Haunting Villisca - David James Nielson

Simply put, a beautifully-rendered and subtle drama-suspense score with some beautiful cello and flute solos adding color to the atmosphere. "Main Titles", "June 10, 1912" and "Finale Part 1" are just wonderful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

A classic. A perfect score. One of John Williams' absolute finest.

-Erik-

Agreed. Concord needs to get off their laurels and re-release the first three Indy scores NOW! I'd just buy the "Temple" re-release for "Nocturnal Activities" and "Anything Goes" alone.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  2. Christodoulides wrote

...this is one of the best scores...this year so far..

Agree with you hear, Demetris. I've just listened to the album and, although this and Fog of War are somewhat similar, there's a certain life to S.O.P. that takes it beyond what Glass did.

A definite highlight of the year so far.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Code 46 (Free Association)

Music for a future where people are disconnected and lonely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    there's a certain life to S.O.P. that takes it beyond what Glass did.

A certain life beyond what Glass did... I've been thinking for fifteen minutes and I can't think of a single statement I could make that would actually top that one in irony!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

A certain life beyond what Glass did... I've been thinking for fifteen minutes and I can't think of a single statement I could make that would actually top that one in irony!

I'll raise a toast to that quip. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Seriously interesting view that I'll take...errrrr...seriously! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Baby : Secret Of The Lost Legend - Goldsmith

Legend meets Rambo.

Classic mid-eighties Goldsmith!

Love the action material. I can also live with the synths. However the cutesy baby dinosaur theme gets a little over-thrashed imho. But overall I really like it! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008 edited
    JuPe wrote
    NP: Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

So beautiful and emotional. The final track is just awesome, one of the greatest tracks ever composed by Mr. Zimmer. The action scenes are also impressive because there isn't so much synth stuff there (track 3, 5:33-6:45 punk )

Terrible to see evolving the news to what happend there some days ago, with the passing of Nargis in Myanmar, its capital Rangoon, in the Irrawaddy delta. slant sad angry

By the way, does anyone know the name of the female vocalist of the score?

She's nowhere mentioned in the booklet. I've no idea either but would like to know as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Standard Operating Procedure | Danny Elfman

A fascinating listen! After The Kingdom (a film with a similiar subject matter to a degree) I really didn't expect this one to be very good at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I really didn't expect this one to be very good at all.

Tell me about it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

I really didn't expect this one to be very good at all.

Tell me about it!

Yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

A fascinating listen! After The Kingdom (a film with a similiar subject matter to a degree) I really didn't expect this one to be very good at all.

Listening to it now. Not overly impressed but it has a lot of the Elfmanisms that I like. It's pretty easy going listen but really nothing spectacular, IMHO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Grew tired of Standard Operating Procedure. Need something a bit more meaty.

NP: Return of the Jedi (Fox Box Release) - John Williams

Classic! Anyone else love that Eric Tomlinson "old sound" recording?! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Grew tired of Standard Operating Procedure. Need something a bit more meaty.

NP: Return of the Jedi (Fox Box Release) - John Williams

Classic! Anyone else love that Eric Tomlinson "old sound" recording?! wink

-Erik-

cool gimme some of that old sound recording gimme some of that old sound recording.... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    NP: The much beaten up Iron Man by Ramin Djawadi.

I am sure I will get crucified (again) but...I am enjoying it...for what it IS and not what it could have been.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    jedizim wrote

I am sure I will get crucified (again) but...I am enjoying it...for what it IS and not what it could have been.

I have it, I ripped it, played it once, deleted the files, the CD is now a coaster and I refuse to play the score on my show.

-Erik-
  5. NP: Jurassic Park John Williams

Has this got old or new sound??
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde

Man I LOVE this score! 18 minutes just ISN'T enough but from what I know that's about all that's in the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park John Williams

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Erik Woods wrote
    jedizim wrote

I have it, I ripped it, played it once, deleted the files, the CD is now a coaster and I refuse to play the score on my show.

-Erik-

I am getting the feeling that you don't like it...but I can't be sure. wink
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    jedizim wrote

-Erik-

Good on you! Perhaps the best way to stop filth like this being done in future is to simply ignore it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park John Williams

That sounds new. Crusade seems to be the cut off point. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Sounds great! wink

-Erik-
  6. Batman Begins, Batman Begins & Batman Begins...

I can't stop listening !