• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Metalstorm - Richard Band

First listen and... shocked

Dynamite action score for this early 80's 3-D sci-fi epic. For some reason the studio threw a significant amount of money at the music budget which allowed Band to record 3 days of orchestral music at Warner Bros. with Shirley Walker conducting. Band laces his symphonic writing with his patented synth effects which adds a bit of mystery to the music. The battle music here is outstanding and I can't help but hearing what Dennis McCarthy would come up with years later on his Star Trek: Generations score. This is a most pleasant surprise and I highly recommend picking it up if you can.

-Erik-

Agreed, Erik.

Richard Band's music is something that I dabble in from time to time (for me, this started with the Psycho "homage" Re-Animator). Metalstorm is definitely worth hunting down.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Brainstorm - James Horner

I would love for Varese to release a deluxe edition of this score. Now, I must admit that I have never seen the film so I have no idea how much score was composed for the picture but I'm sure there has to be more than the 30 minute available on this recording. If not, then could this be the best spotted Horner score of his career? Anyway, this is easily one of the composers finest works!

-Erik-

I'm slowly reading through 200+ "Now Playing" posts so I apologise if this has already been mentioned...a deluxe edition would be a great idea. The Varese release is a re-recording and a treatment ala The Fury would be interesting. I remember watching the movie some years back and trying to link in the music and I seem to recall that there wasn't too much more - or if there was more, then it was just subtle variations on the music that was featured on the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I would love for Varese to release a deluxe edition of this score. Now, I must admit that I have never seen the film so I have no idea how much score was composed for the picture but I'm sure there has to be more than the 30 minute available on this recording. If not, then could this be the best spotted Horner score of his career? Anyway, this is easily one of the composers finest works!

-Erik-

Absolutely fantastic score!

I've seen the film two or three times now Erik and there really isn't much more music in the film than on the album ( though the last time I saw it was at least 15 years ago ), perhaps a deluxe edition could give us the original film score ala Williams The Fury?

Ooops!! shame
  4. NP: Marco Polo (Ennio Morricone)

My co-worker tells me that she's never heard such authentic Chinese style music from a western film composer before. (She is from near Beijing.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008 edited
    NP: Skinwalkers - Andrew Lockington

A very eclectic, pleasing, and overall well-rounded score. Some of the electronics and chopping strings make think of The Bourne Identity (such as late on in "Varek Arrives"), but Lockington does so much more with it. The Japanese and Sudanese percussion seem way overhyped, only used in a handful of cues and not used to its full potential. Still, an interesting, exciting and complex score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Absolutely fantastic score!

I've seen the film two or three times now Erik and there really isn't much more music in the film than on the album ( though the last time I saw it was at least 15 years ago ), perhaps a deluxe edition could give us the original film score ala Williams The Fury?

Ooops!! shame

No worries Alan, 'great minds' and all that.... wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Skinwalkers - Andrew Lockington

A very eclectic, pleasing, and overall well-rounded score. Some of the electronics and chopping strings make think of The Bourne Identity (such as late on in "Varek Arrives"), but Lockington does so much more with it. The Japanese and Sudanese percussion seem way overhyped, only used in a handful of cues and not used to its full potential. Still, an interesting, exciting and complex score.

Indeed, it blew me away on first listens!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Roar! - Giacchino

At last I've heard it. And yep, I can understand what all the fuss was about!

The spirit of Akira Ifukube lives on!

cool
  5. Today: Youth without Youth (Golijov), Museum (Gordon), Clockers (Blanchard) and Exotica (Danna).

The latter has a particularly haunting main theme.
  6. NP: Vanity Fair (Danna) and Antwone Fisher (Danna)

It's a shame that Danna never got his chance to 'do Harry Potter', something he might have done had Mira Nair ended up directing one of the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Being Watcht the last 8 TV SPOTS of Indy 4 I'm Excited!

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index. … lde;§

NP:Indiana Jones and The last Crusade

punk

Not his last...ehehe
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As for accomodation, Bristol does have a few 'Backpackers', surely far cheaper than a hotel but not with as much privacy?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    As for accomodation, Bristol does have a few 'Backpackers', surely far cheaper than a hotel but not with as much privacy?

Who wrote the score for this?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    lol, I saw this and though ''huh? Oh right...'' biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with you Bob, if you leave your clothes on while you're eating a mango you're just asking for trouble. I'm surprised she didn't sue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Warhawk - Christopher Lennertz and Timothy Michael Wynn

This is just one hell of an enjoyable score. That Lennertz has a lot of talent, I would put this album right up there with Gun and From Russia With Love.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    I agree with you Bob, if you leave your clothes on while you're eating a mango you're just asking for trouble. I'm surprised she didn't sue.

Are you on the right pills?
    Maybe I should execute your trainer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote

This is just one hell of an enjoyable score. That Lennertz has a lot of talent, I would put this album right up there with Gun and From Russia With Love.

punk

Couldn´t agree more. The loudest the better punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    AND Timothy Michael Wynn?

Now that I didn't know.

NP (well about to) - The big ass Varese box that came, and Speed Racer. No idea what to expect from either of them really. There's a lot of stuff I've never heard before on the boxset and I haven't really listened to Speed Racer (the rip) at all tbh. One long evening of music ahead! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    AND Timothy Michael Wynn?

He co-composed 12 of the 20 cues of the soundtrack, as far as I know (the main theme is Lennertz´s though).

Anthony wrote
    I haven't really listened to Speed Racer (the rip) at all tbh.

That´s good for you then. The edited soundtrack is a much better listening experience than the complete one. Enjoy!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm sure once I've seen the movie I'll be all over the complete again though. smile

Ha, I held off against my worst impulses and ignored it until the CD came! Will I be able to do the same for Indy 4 though? crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Been playing LOST SEASON 3 (2CD) in a row, constantly and non-stop for 2 days now. I'm not here, i am somewhere else apparently, don't know where but i am sticking to it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA RESA DEI CONTI ( THE BIG GUNDOWN ) - Ennio Morricone

One of my favourite Morricone Western scores, excellent! punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    SPEED RACER

Umm. Wha? I just listened to a score? Seriously, all I heard was noise for an hour. The orchestra sounded like it was in mono, and the rest was just sonic jargon. Go home Dan Wallin. Stay there. Don't venture out. Especially to a mixing stage. I now officially despise him. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    LSH wrote

punk

Couldn´t agree more. The loudest the better punk

IMHO, the first half of the album is incoherant noise... the same action cue over and over and over again. However, as you venture into the middle of the album and straight through to the end you FINALLY get some variety and then it because one solid action score!

NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

A classic. A perfect score. One of John Williams' absolute finest. IMHO, one of his Top 3 with Raiders and Empire Strikes Back.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Been playing LOST SEASON 3 (2CD) in a row, constantly and non-stop for 2 days now. I'm not here, i am somewhere else apparently, don't know where but i am sticking to it!

I´ve completed my first listen of the first cd and all I can say is I´m amazed of what I´ve listened. Without doubt, the best season musically speaking. There are so many highlights that is absurd to name all of them. But tracks like "Under The Knife", "Distraught Desmond", "Ocean's Apart", "The Lone Hugo", "Ain't Talkin'Bout Nothin'" and "Claire-A Culpa", just to name a few, demonstrates Giacchino´s finesse and connection to the show. Let´s see if the second cd is such great as the first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved the second CD, absolutely LOVED it, especially the last 5 pieces. Very intense and dramatic material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    first listen

DANNY ELFMAN - standard operatin procedure

Elfman doing a PHILIP GLASS?! shocked I LIKE THIS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

Glad to have a proper release of this.