• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote

What do you believe out of interest? You clearly don't believe that if you're willing to satirize it.

I can't believe that a citizen of the UK would have trouble with someone satirising something even as they toe the line. That's the foundation of most great British humour! wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    Not at all. It's the "world was created in seven days" part I can't quite swallow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I don't believe I do.
    tongue

If he's willing to jest about it, it seems like he doesn't really believe it. As though he was using a part of the Christian belief to make an ironic statement. Perhaps he believes something else, or isn't a strict Christian... I dunno.

I'm genuinely curious if he believes it, that's all. I'm not looking for another endless debate about religion, it never f*cking ends!
  2. Steven wrote
    If he's willing to jest about it, it seems like he doesn't really believe it.

One can jest about a great many things that one believes in. It is the capacity to laugh at oneself, which to my mind is mostly a healthy thing. Keeps in check that rampant sense of spiritual superiority that I know you in particular like to see in superstitious folk.

NP: Chato's Land (Jerry Fielding)

This is the kind of music that could make me believe in hell!
  3. NP: True Women (Bruce Broughton)

To my mind, this is my favourite Broughton western. The main theme, though used sparingly, is a real winner. I wonder if they'll ever make a film of the sequel novel, 'Lying Bitches'?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Not at all. It's the "world was created in seven days" part I can't quite swallow.

I thought it was six?

....whaddevah rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I thought it was six?

Good point!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    One can jest about a great many things that one believes in. It is the capacity to laugh at oneself, which to my mind is mostly a healthy thing.

Very true.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I thought it was six?

....whaddevah rolleyes

The seventh was the day-off.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

One can jest about a great many things that one believes in. It is the capacity to laugh at oneself, which to my mind is mostly a healthy thing. Keeps in check that rampant sense of spiritual superiority that I know you in particular like to see in superstitious folk.

I like to see a rampant sense of spiritual superiority in superstitious folk?

...what? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I don't believe I do.
    tongue

Then my original post stands as is.
    Of COURSE one can satirize one's beliefs.
    In fact, to be able to do that, I would argue, is the sign of a reasonable mind, that is able to put things into perspective.

Franzybaby wrote:
    Keeps in check that rampant sense of spiritual superiority that I know you in particular like to see in superstitious folk.

Steveybaby wrote
    ...what? confused

biggrin
    I think Michael may have been heavily/heavenly ironic about himself, Steven, if not the bible-thumping righteous fundamentalists (even though the blanket statement of being able to laugh at oneself obviously goes for all intolerant aspects of all religions)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I don't believe I do.
    tongue

Then my original post stands as is.
    Of COURSE one can satirize one's beliefs.
    In fact, to be able to do that, I would argue, is the sign of a reasonable mind, that is able to put things into perspective.

Yeah, I know. But it was the way it was said, it just seemed.... oh never mind. All I wanted is a straight answer and instead I got ever so witty responses. Wonderful.

Does he - you, Michael - believe the world was created in 6/7 days? That's all I want to know. A simple yes or no will suffice. I'm not looking for another endless debate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To be fair, Steven: in the past generally when you would ask a question on faith and religion, it would be an opening gambit for a debate. And it's hard to see the added value in a simple 'yes' or 'no' on 'do you believe the world was created in six days?'. So I can see why any response would be fairly ironic.

That completely aside, you know full well there are staunch believers that have no problem whatsoever taking some of the Bible not entirely literally (these would be the kind of people you would NOT find going round not suffering witches to live and such).

So my question to you, I guess, is: why the question?
    Simple curiosity?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Come now. Don't beat around the bush! Out with it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Iron Man

One of the worst score I heard in the recent years.

Worst even than Hitman.

A uninspired mix of bland heavy and something that could be called a little motif as a Theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Worst even than Hitman.

A uninspired mix of bland heavy and something that could be called a little motif as a Theme.

Hmmm? I've not heard anything possitive about this score as a listening experience though FSM writer Jeff Bond says it fits the film and surely that's the purpose of film music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Come now. Don't beat around the bush! Out with it!

Don't you mean, don't beat around the burning bush? wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote

Worst even than Hitman.

Really? shocked I'm avoiding that then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Sideways - Rolfe Kent

A great laid-back jazzy score to chill out to on a lazy Saturday.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WAR OF THE WORLDS - John Williams

LOUD! punk cool
  5. Steven wrote
    Yeah, I know. But it was the way it was said, it just seemed.... oh never mind. All I wanted is a straight answer and instead I got ever so witty responses. Wonderful.

Does he - you, Michael - believe the world was created in 6/7 days? That's all I want to know. A simple yes or no will suffice. I'm not looking for another endless debate!

Banishing my confusing witticisms for five minutes...

The simple answer is that I don't disbelieve the seven day creation story.

So what does that mean? It means unfortunately I've not had the time to delve into hard science and consider the case against a Bible-story both empirically and deductively. My readings have mostly focused on the theology of creation as a linchpin of belief, or the philosophical issues. The science as yet eludes me. If I felt there was a strong case against the particulars of the Genesis account (and it would have to be an empirical case, not a deductive one), I'd probably ascribe to a more general perspective (very common among Christians of a scientific bent) of 'well, given I know there's a God and I believe he created the world, and I believe the Bible is his word and that he doesn't lie, in what sense, figurative or literal, can this seven day story be true even though it's not consistent scientific accounts?' If that sounds like giving God the benefit of the doubt, you must understand that from a believer's perspective, I owe Him a lot more than He owes me.

My instinct is that a deeper consideration of the scientific case would only lead me to the same point any deeper investigation of a science has led me: be it economics, econometrics, statistics, musicology, film-making technique, etc. And that point is one of ambivalence, where every conclusion is conditional and all that can be said is that we can't rule out either the observable factors are consistent both with story A and story B. One's outlook conditions one's reading of what is out there to look at. Mind you, I hope to put that instinct to the test some time.

Apologies to all others who didn't want a bit of religion on their message board journey. I'll keep my self-parody out of the now-playing thread in future.

To be honest, it's still hard to believe that some people would defend STARDUST over THE GOLDEN COMPASS on compositional grounds.

NP: Nothing. Tiredness has overcome me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    NP : APOLLO 13 - James Horner

It's just hit Master Alarm ....love it! cool

for Steven wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : APOLLO 113 - James Horner

I thought you said you wouldn't do that anymore! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : APOLLO 113 - James Horner

I thought you said you wouldn't do that anymore! shocked

That's right shame

I've ammended it and won't do it again smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Next it'll be:

Apollo ((12-3) + (8-4)) | James Horner

dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Next it'll be:

Apollo ((12-3) + (8-4)) | James Horner

dizzy

Now why didn't I think of that? rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Lady In The Water - James Newton Howard

Just gorgeous.

punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Next up:

NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

The Elegy For Dunkirk cue never fails to move me, it's just sublime.

It's amazing how much better music sounds when you've had a few drinks. I'm glad my mates appreciate what I'm playing! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    LSH wrote
    Next up:

NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

The Elegy For Dunkirk cue never fails to move me, it's just sublime.

It's amazing how much better music sounds when you've had a few drinks. I'm glad my mates appreciate what I'm playing! cheesy

Great score and a very good film too! The Dunkirk sequence is an excellent piece of film making.