• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

Excellent score that brings back many great memories for me cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Brainstorm - James Horner

I would love for Varese to release a deluxe edition of this score. Now, I must admit that I have never seen the film so I have no idea how much score was composed for the picture but I'm sure there has to be more than the 30 minute available on this recording. If not, then could this be the best spotted Horner score of his career? Anyway, this is easily one of the composers finest works!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Lost season 3 - Michael Giacchino

I'm not sure where to begin. It's arrived I guess. smile

While I haven't listened to it enough yet to comment on it, it seems great care has been taken in producing this. It contains everything you could possibly want from the best season of the show. Pure class. This is Giacchino at his best. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

First listen... and I actually really like what I'm hearing.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Brainstorm - James Horner

I would love for Varese to release a deluxe edition of this score. Now, I must admit that I have never seen the film so I have no idea how much score was composed for the picture but I'm sure there has to be more than the 30 minute available on this recording. If not, then could this be the best spotted Horner score of his career? Anyway, this is easily one of the composers finest works!

-Erik-

Absolutely fantastic score!

I've seen the film two or three times now Erik and there really isn't much more music in the film than on the album ( though the last time I saw it was at least 15 years ago ), perhaps a deluxe edition could give us the original film score ala Williams The Fury?

I'm not sure if my facts are right but I think Natalie Wood drowned before filming was finished?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP P.S. I Love You (John Powell)
    Charming and pleasant score from Powell, with all the elements he uses in this kinda scores. Sweet!

You mean, I'm NOT the only person who's listened to this? shocked wink

What did you think of ''The Meeting'' in the end?

Hehe....not only I´ve listened but I´ve liked it wink
    As for "The Meeting", is the highlight of the album. The main theme played in a waltz like way is so nice!

LSH wrote
    NP: P.S. I Love You - John Powell

First listen... and I actually really like what I'm hearing

Wait ´til you listen "The Meeting" wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Genius - Ennio Morricone
    Lovely, funny, fluffy score by He Who Is Most Prodigious!
    Trademark 'klang-klang' piano and steel-string guitar sounds, embellished with soprano and gruffmale voices (the maestro taking the piss out of his own genre).
    Nothing special, but a lot of fun as these things go.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: THE BROTHERS GRIMM - Dario Marianelli

Aka 'the wild years' before His Classical Mindedness got typecast for romantic drama's and introverted thrillers, be it historical or not. Hopefully he'll soon return to an orchestral powerhouse kinda score, 'cause The Forest Comes to Life still rocks punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Heavy Metal - Elmer Bernstein

Not one of his finest scores, but a very good one all the same.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The Genius - Ennio Morricone
    Lovely, funny, fluffy score by He Who Is Most Prodigious!
    Trademark 'klang-klang' piano and steel-string guitar sounds, embellished with soprano and gruffmale voices (the maestro taking the piss out of his own genre).
    Nothing special, but a lot of fun as these things go.

the Genius - Ennio Morricone.....apt title cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Heavy Metal - Elmer Bernstein

Not one of his finest scores, but a very good one all the same.

slant Ummmm... interesting. You're one of the first that I've heard say that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I noticed Southall seems to increasingly have this tendency to be ...different.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've always preferred Bernstein in his more "serious" scores. Nothing wrong with Heavy Metal though, just saying that in my top ten list by this composer who I love above most others, the score wouldn't quite make it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Still playing - Lost season 3 - Michael Giacchino

The beginning of ''Jintimidating Bernard'' is some of the best bridge playing I've ever heard! shocked applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : NIXON - John Williams

Excellent and underrated score cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Golden Compass | Alexandre Desplat

This is the film and score Stardust so desperately wanted (and needed) to be. After seeing the film, I find I enjoy this score a lot more now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

This is the film and score Stardust so desperately wanted (and needed) to be. After seeing the film, I find I enjoy this score a lot more now.

While I haven't seen The Golden Compass, I don't think Stardust was taking itself as seriously as Compass was.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    VERY true... I fear that may be Golden Compass' future undoing: the books (apparently, I ahve been told0 are more serious still, but for the film they lightened the tone of everything somewhat, so that we are left with -as the Germans say- ni Fleisch ni Fisch: neither one or the other.

I appreciated most everything about Stardust more than I did about Golden Compass (though I didn't think the latter was a bad film a all).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The only thing I appreciated about Stardust was the ending - in that it ended.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    ^

moon
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

While I haven't seen The Golden Compass, I don't think Stardust was taking itself as seriously as Compass was.

-Erik-

That´s the point.
    Stardust is a non pretentious adventures/fantasy film, so is the score. And it suceeds in both aspects IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

That´s the point.
    Stardust is a non pretentious adventures/fantasy film, so is the score. And it suceeds in both aspects IMO.

I believe the word you're looking for is fails. Glad to be of service.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

biggrin

I couldn't work out why anyone would want to see this (not trying to sound arrogant), as the trailer made it look like crap. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

I couldn't work out why anyone would want to see this (not trying to sound arrogant), as the trailer made it look like crap. slant

Well there's a reason for that...

Kingdom Of Heaven | Harry Gregson-Williams

I don't worship this score like a fair few seem to, but I do enjoy it and like the maturity HGW shows.
  1. Whatever the merits of the film, I find it hard to believe anyone would defend the merits of STARDUST as composition over COMPASS.

But then again I believe the world was created in seven days and that a two-party system can be called democracy, so maybe it isn't too hard to swallow. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    Steven wrote

I believe the word you're looking for is fails. Glad to be of service.

Okay, now you're asking for it.

*ties Steve down, forces his eyes open a la Clockwork Orange and programs an endless loop of Stardust on the DVD player*

Have fun. wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Whatever the merits of the film, I find it hard to believe anyone would defend the merits of STARDUST as composition over COMPASS.

But then again I believe the world was created in seven days and that a two-party system can be called democracy, so maybe it isn't too hard to swallow. dizzy

What do you believe out of interest? You clearly don't believe that if you're willing to satirize it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Satire is proof of non-belief?

In that case I do not believe in literature.
    I do not believe in diplomacy.
    I do not believe in Hollywood.
    I do not believe in Beatles.
    I do not believe in love.
    I do not believe in myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    rolleyes

You know what I mean Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't believe I do.
    tongue