• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    I still haven't listened to SOP, but after all these positive comments, I'm not wink

(no, I will really, this sounds interesting!) biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    There's a TOD complete?

And where's the Basket Game motif?

If I'm not mistaken it's the rear channel of the VHS copy of the movie. As for the The Basket Game motif, it is heard during the scene right after Willie saves Short Round from falling through a bad boards on the bridge. "Not very funny."

Indy is running towards the bridge but in his way are two swords man. They wave their swords around and Williams reprises his Basket Game motif from Raiders. Indy reaches for his gun but it's missing from his holster. It's a funny in joke for the audience but make absolutely NO SENSE chronologically. Temple of Doom takes place one year before Raiders.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    There's a TOD complete?

Not from a Jedi...

biggrin I like more the Sith way!
  1. NP: The Film Music of Ron Goodwin (once again)

punk

A composer who wrote for every film featured on this compilation at least one memorable theme. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: LOST : Season 3 - Giacchino

Finally get to hear this.

Most impressive!

I love the Goldsmithian touches every now and then!

Giacchino is just amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: He's a pirate vs Raiders march

He's a pirate is for the new generation the Raiders March.

i will not say wich i prefer, but both are highly addictive and memorable. Even if the Nostalgics...well...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Give me a break, Jordi. One of the most ridiculous thing you have EVER written. In a few years NO ONE will be talking about He's A Pirate while the Raiders March will continue on to be one of the greatest themes of all time.

Stop this nonsense, NOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Give me a break, Jordi. One of the most ridiculous thing you have EVER written.

-Erik-

No.

Erik, I really respect you as a movie music fan. but sometimes your judgement suffers about what is quality and what is cool.

If there's a movie wich is the adventure for the new generation is Pirates of Caribbean (yes, in quality and in entertaintment is not close to any of Indiana Jones movies). but it is for the new generation.

He's a pirate is now so famous like Raiders March. Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

No.

Erik, I really respect you as a movie music fan. but sometimes your judgement suffers about what is quality and what is cool.

If there's a movie wich is the adventure for the new generation is Pirates of Caribbean (yes, in quality and in entertaintment is not close to any of Indiana Jones movies). but it is for the new generation.

No, it's not, Jordi. You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future. Maybe a suite from the first film, but the third film was a stinker and the majority of people have no clue what "He's A Pirate" is. The Raiders March is a most requested concert piece ever since it's first performance in 1981 and can be easily recognized by ANY ONE just based on the first few notes alone.

You are delusional, Jordi.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future.

Nice to meet you, medium ! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future.

Nice to meet you, medium ! wave

Well, you won't.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    but the third film was a stinker and the majority of people have no clue what "He's A Pirate" is.
    -Erik-

i don't understand what you mean with this..literaly ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    No, it's not, Jordi. You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future. Maybe a suite from the first film, but the third film was a stinker and the majority of people have no clue what "He's A Pirate" is. The Raiders March is a most requested concert piece ever since it's first performance in 1981 and can be easily recognized by ANY ONE just based on the first few notes alone.

-Erik-

You'd be surprised. As one who deals with youth all the time, and even occasionally dares to play film music on the loudspeakers of a room full of students, the Pirates music seems to be more recognizable than just about anything else.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

No.

-Erik-

You'd be surprised. As one who deals with youth all the time, and even occasionally dares to play film music on the loudspeakers of a room full of students, the Pirates music seems to be more recognizable than just about anything else.

If you had read my post I said that Pirates 1 will be remembered (God help us) but there is no way in hell that the general public recognizes "He's A Pirate" from the third film the way they recognize the Raiders March. No way!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    but the third film was a stinker and the majority of people have no clue what "He's A Pirate" is.
    -Erik-

i don't understand what you mean with this..literaly ...

In other words only a select few will ever remember the Zimmer tune.

People young and old can hum 'Raiders', and like I said earlier, I don't know anyone who can hum even a "single" Zimmer tune.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hmmm. It's different in my opinion. Many don't know even that the Raiders March is from Indiana Jones, which doesn't mean they don't recognise the theme.

I think you can't underestimate (right word?) the popularity of the He's A Pirates Theme. I've now seen three performances of He's A Pirate, by different orchestras (both professional and youth/amateur), but never heard Raider's March live. This obviously doesn't mean it's not the most performed piece Erik, I just agree with Jordi, that it's not only a popular and much recognized tune, but it's also performed a lot more then I'd thought and you thought it would.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    Hmmm. It's different in my opinion. Many don't know even that the Raiders March is from Indiana Jones, which doesn't mean they don't recognise the theme.

I think you can't underestimate (right word?) the popularity of the He's A Pirates Theme. I've now seen three performances of He's A Pirate, by different orchestras (both professional and youth/amateur), but never heard Raider's March live. This obviously doesn't mean it's not the most performed piece Erik, I just agree with Jordi, that it's not only a popular and much recognized tune, but it's also performed a lot more then I'd thought and you thought it would.

Bah! My point is that it won't stand the test of time. The Raiders March is timeless and He's A Pirate isn't. It's absolutely ludicrous to compare the two. But if Jordi wants to pretend that "He's A Pirate" is right up there with The Raiders March, fine. But the statement "He's a pirate is for the new generation the Raiders March" is 110% bull! I think you'll find that the majority of film music fans and people in general will agree with me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ah, of course He's a Pirate is defenitely not right up there with Raider's March!
    I missed that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    Ah, of course He's a Pirate is defenitely not right up there with Raider's March!
    I missed that.

In a personal way, I like more He's a pirate than Raiders march. i find more fresh, powerful and moder. But it's just because Zimmer action tunes are more my coup of tea.

Np: Indiana Jones and the last Crusade

a lot of addictive motifs here!

nazi's theme needs more minuts! luckly Giacchino new it... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote

Bah! My point is that it won't stand the test of time. The Raiders March is timeless and He's A Pirate isn't. It's absolutely ludicrous to compare the two. But if Jordi wants to pretend that "He's A Pirate" is right up there with The Raiders March, fine. But the statement "He's a pirate is for the new generation the Raiders March" is 110% bull! I think you'll find that the majority of film music fans and people in general will agree with me.

-Erik-

He's a Pirate is the main theme from the first film.

In Jordi's defense, saying that "He's a Pirate is the Raiders March of the new generation" does not necessarily mean that it's as GOOD as Raiders March. It just means that the standards and tastes of the new generation have changed (digressed?). But in pure popularity, He's a Pirate has quite literally the same place in modern film music that the Raiders March and the Star Wars themes used to have. So Jordi's statement is, as far as it goes, correct. Blame the culture, not Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote

In Jordi's defense, saying that "He's a Pirate is the Raiders March of the new generation" does not necessarily mean that it's as GOOD as Raiders March. It just means that the standards and tastes of the new generation have changed (digressed?). But in pure popularity, He's a Pirate has quite literally the same place in modern film music that the Raiders March and the Star Wars themes used to have. So Jordi's statement is, as far as it goes, correct. Blame the culture, not Jordi.

I love you.
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    I love you.
    beer

In a completely platonic way, I hope wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregt wrote

-Erik-

^ I still think that's 110% bull! I mean, you might as well put Transformers up as one of the greatest score in the universe as well. I mean, come on people. Again, He's A Pirate will go the way of the Dodo in a few years and soon we'll be talking about the next below average Zimmer score that will wow the youth of today as being just as good or better than Star Wars. rolleyes

-Erik-

PS - You are right... He's A Pirate is from the first film. My mistake. Shows you just how much I've listened to THAT score. Total rubbish it is.
  3. Have they.... I don't know what the pirates theme is myself, and I bet if I asked any of my freinds whether they knew it, they would say no!

As for indianna jones I'm pretty sure most of them know it! I don't even know if my friends have seen the pirates of the caribean films, they're just not that good!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
  4. I'm listening to The Rock...

The best action music ever... Hans' terrific themes (Hummel' Speech cool ), Nick's melodies (the Green Smoke cue shocked ) & Harry's amazing action style (the First Launch sequence punk )...

punk
  5. The Best music for the rock is the bath room slaughter, one of my earliest film music memorys!

But I do love the whole score!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I'm listening to The Rock...

The best action music ever... Hans' terrific themes (Hummel' Speech cool ), Nick's melodies (the Green Smoke cue shocked ) & Harry's amazing action style (the First Launch sequence punk )...

punk

The best sound for a film of this sort. This is when Zimmer's sound works. It's embarrassing to say but this was really a revolutionary score. A sound that sadly dominates most of todays modern action films whether appropriate or not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Adventures Of Robin Hood | Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Utah Symphony Orchestra, Varujan Kojian)

This would be a fine place to start if someone wanted to learn about proper film music. cool *cough* Anthony *cough*

Cool, but does it sound old? tongue biggrin

The music itself sounds "old", the recording was recorded in '91.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Adventures Of Robin Hood | Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Utah Symphony Orchestra, Varujan Kojian)

This would be a fine place to start if someone wanted to learn about proper film music. cool *cough* Anthony *cough*

Cool, but does it sound old? tongue biggrin

The music itself sounds "old", the recording was recorded in '91.

The score is brilliant and the Kojian recording is stellar!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

^ I still think that's 110% bull! I mean, you might as well put Transformers up as one of the greatest score in the universe as well. I mean, come on people. Again, He's A Pirate will go the way of the Dodo in a few years and soon we'll be talking about the next below average Zimmer score that will wow the youth of today as being just as good or better than Star Wars. rolleyes

-Erik-

PS - You are right... He's A Pirate is from the first film. My mistake. Shows you just how much I've listened to THAT score. Total rubbish it is.

Both the Transformers score and the Raiders score are currently out of print. The former is going for $80 used on Amazon, whereas the latter only $50. But you've already suggested the fickleness of today's youth, so that just enhances your point.

Keep in mind, though, that the first Pirates score and film have been out for 5 years now. Do you really think another 2 or 3 will make them go away? I'd give them a decade, at least. But I think we agree that the issue is not as much with the music itself (as the Raiders March and He's a Pirate are so different that they scarcely deserve to be considered on the same level) but with today's younger generations.

I'd be interested to know, though...what exactly is it do you think gives the Raiders March its "timelessness" as compared to He's a Pirate? They're both melodic main themes that are instantly associated with popular film franchises. Which one is "better" is really a matter of personal preference. So is there an objective factor you can point to that makes Raiders timeless and Pirates not?

Please note that none of this is said in an argumentative spirit, I'm just enjoying the debate. cool