• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I'm listening to The Rock...

The best action music ever... Hans' terrific themes (Hummel' Speech cool ), Nick's melodies (the Green Smoke cue shocked ) & Harry's amazing action style (the First Launch sequence punk )...

punk

The best sound for a film of this sort. This is when Zimmer's sound works. It's embarrassing to say but this was really a revolutionary score. A sound that sadly dominates most of todays modern action films whether appropriate or not.

-Erik-

And it's actually not Zimmer...

As a huge Zimmer fan, it doesn't sound Zimmer...

There's a link between Drop Zone, Crimson Tide, Broken Arrow and The Peacemaker... You can clearly say "it's Zimmer" !

Not The Rock... It's... different... Probably because it was a Nick Glennie-Smith score combined with HGW's electro...

Poor Nick, all his life in Hans's shadow... Like the beautiful Lauras Stern & Der Kleine Eisbär, written by NGS with additional music by Hans, but as Hans was credited main composer, everybody thought "It is Zimmer ! Good job !", nothing left for NGS... crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    "Raiders" is a GREAT piece of music while "He's A Pirate" is average at best. It's just another variation on something that Zimmer wrote years previous. I enjoyed He's A Pirate when it was originally written for Gladiator.

The Raiders March is far superior in melody, orchestration, harmony, structure, etc... actually it just simply blows away the keyboard pounding crap that was "written" for Pirates. Raiders isn't generic... Pirates is.

Raiders is beloved by all generations - old and young - while Pirates has a small and limited audience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with Erik but I think this discussion is really missing the point of why people criticise Zimmer. I mean, I think (say) George Fenton is a million times the composer Zimmer could ever dream of being, but no way would anyone anywhere be able to hum you a Fenton theme (I would struggle myself and I have spent far more time listening to his music than Zimmer's). There's more to quality than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I'm listening to The Rock...

The best action music ever... Hans' terrific themes (Hummel' Speech cool ), Nick's melodies (the Green Smoke cue shocked ) & Harry's amazing action style (the First Launch sequence punk )...

punk

The best sound for a film of this sort. This is when Zimmer's sound works. It's embarrassing to say but this was really a revolutionary score. A sound that sadly dominates most of todays modern action films whether appropriate or not.

-Erik-

And it's actually not Zimmer...

Oh for the love of God... this is a Zimmer clone score written by his clones. Zimmer actually didn't want anything to do with the project but half way through was brought in and wrote music for it. I don't care who was credited... this is Hans Zimmer music.... at least music that tries it's hardest to "sound" like Zimmer.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Np: Indiana Jones and the last Crusade

nazi's theme needs more minuts! luckly Giacchino new it... biggrin

Damn straight! cool biggrin
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Oh for the love of God... this is a Zimmer clone score written by his clones. Zimmer actually didn't want anything to do with the project but half way through was brought in and wrote music for it. I don't care who was credited... this is Hans Zimmer music.... at least music that tries it's hardest to "sound" like Zimmer.

-Erik-

That confirms one thing : you don't even know what you are talking about... wink

You can say whatever you want about your favorite composers, their skills, their style, their way of composing... But stop talking about something you don't know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    "Raiders" is a GREAT piece of music while "He's A Pirate" is average at best. It's just another variation on something that Zimmer wrote years previous. I enjoyed He's A Pirate when it was originally written for Gladiator.

The Raiders March is far superior in melody, orchestration, harmony, structure, etc... actually it just simply blows away the keyboard pounding crap that was "written" for Pirates. Raiders isn't generic... Pirates is.

Raiders is beloved by all generations - old and young - while Pirates has a small and limited audience.

-Erik-

Raiders is "beloved by all generations"....proof? Pirates has a "small and limited audience" (one of the biggest blockbuster series of all time, certainly not LESS than Indy)....proof?

You're saying Raiders is "better" and "superior" and has a "bigger" audience. I am not disagreeing with that. I just want to know how that opinion can be backed up with solid, objective facts.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That confirms one thing : you don't even know what you are talking about... wink

You don't think The Rock sounds like Zimmer music!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    I agree with Erik but I think this discussion is really missing the point of why people criticise Zimmer. I mean, I think (say) George Fenton is a million times the composer Zimmer could ever dream of being, but no way would anyone anywhere be able to hum you a Fenton theme (I would struggle myself and I have spent far more time listening to his music than Zimmer's). There's more to quality than that.

Hmm. To me, themes and melody are 50% of why I listen to film music. I struggle with composers like Fenton because of exactly that lack. Admittedly, almost every composer is better than Zimmer if by "quality" you mean technical music expertise. But my greatest enjoyment of music comes from melody, and I doubt that will ever change. I've certainly developed a much greater taste for technical excellence in the years since I first became a film music fan, but I will still listen to Zimmer ten times more than Fenton if Zimmer has the themes and Fenton doesn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmm. To me, themes and melody are 50% of why I listen to film music. I struggle with composers like Fenton because of exactly that lack. Admittedly, almost every composer is better than Zimmer if by "quality" you mean technical music expertise. But my greatest enjoyment of music comes from melody, and I doubt that will ever change. I've certainly developed a much greater taste for technical excellence in the years since I first became a film music fan, but I will still listen to Zimmer ten times more than Fenton if Zimmer has the themes and Fenton doesn't.

I understand your viewpoint, and I know many others are in the same boat. I'm not too bothered about themes (this is one of the reasons I prefer modern to "classic" Williams, probably - I just can't stand score albums that keep repeating themes over and over again)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I absolutely do know what I'm talking about!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I absolutely do know what I'm talking about!

-Erik-

I'm glad we have Zimmer fans besides Jordi now...the conversations are hilarious! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JAWS 2 - John Willams

Excellent score! Even though it's one of Williams lesser scores in his canon of great scores it's still better than ANYTHING Hans Zimmer ever wrote! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score! Even though it's one of Williams lesser scores in his canon of great scores it's still better than ANYTHING Hans Zimmer ever wrote! tongue

Aaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

Actually, I think this is a score that takes the Jaws music to new heights . It's the same thing he did with The Empires Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Instead of retreading the same music from the first film, he takes the already famous theme, use it sparingly, adds in a wealth of new themes to compliment it and presents some incredible action material that rivals and in some cases exceeded the work he did in the first film. What an adrenaline rush!

An absolutely brilliant effort in a time where Williams did no wrong.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Aaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

Actually, I think this is a score that takes the Jaws music to new heights . It's the same thing he did with The Empires Strikes Back and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Instead of retreading the same music from the first film, he takes the already famous theme, use it sparingly, adds in a wealth of new themes to compliment it and presents some incredible action material that rivals and in some cases exceeded the work he did in the first film. What an adrenaline rush!

An absolutely brilliant effort in a time where Williams did no wrong.

-Erik-

punk

Jaws through a Star Wars filter as I like to describe it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timeline | Jerry Goldsmith

Not one of his greatest, but one of my favourites. It's oozing with that Goldsmith magic that I love!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Bah! My point is that it won't stand the test of time. The Raiders March is timeless and He's A Pirate isn't. It's absolutely ludicrous to compare the two.

You don't know that for sure. And while i DO agree that you can't compare the musical value or any value whatsoever of the two, still that's you and me talking about it who are perhaps musically educated and most importantly directly linked to everything film music. I don't think if you ask the average dude on the street he'll actually spot any difference whatsoever between the two. They're just two memorable tunes out of the cinema to his ears. Have you ever thought of that? If not, go out and ask 'average dudes'. And not only in the U.S, if you want to have a complete vision. I am sure you'll discover way more disappointing results than what you might have initially thought.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    And while i DO agree that you can't compare the musical value or any value whatsoever of the two

I can. Raiders is better, it just is. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In England, most people know the Pirates theme. Just throwing that out there, not trying to make a point. Please don't kill me.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future.

I wish I could agree, but I've already been to three high school concerts in the last 18 months where the school orchestras played 'He's a Pirate'. Fifteen years ago, it was Danny Elfman's BATMAN theme they were all playing! I'm afraid there's a chance this one may be sinking in for the long haul...

Oh, and I know by 'concert programs' you didn't mean high school concerts, but eventually some of those kids start playing in the local orchestras. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future.

I wish I could agree, but I've already been to three high school concerts in the last 18 months where the school orchestras played 'He's a Pirate'. Fifteen years ago, it was Danny Elfman's BATMAN theme they were all playing! I'm afraid there's a chance this one may be sinking in for the long haul...

Oh, and I know by 'concert programs' you didn't mean high school concerts, but eventually some of those kids start playing in the local orchestras. wink

Same here, 2 university orchestras on 2 different occasions; full potc suites. And 2 from Gladiator, both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Bah! My point is that it won't stand the test of time. The Raiders March is timeless and He's A Pirate isn't. It's absolutely ludicrous to compare the two.

You don't know that for sure.

Yes, yes I do!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    rolleyes See above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    rolleyes See above.

You do the same thing. You know I'm right.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In England, most people know the Pirates theme. Just throwing that out there, not trying to make a point. Please don't kill me.

Really?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: THE SEA HAWK - Korngold

Aaaaaahhhhh Now this is Pirate music!!!

cool cool cool cool cool
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: He's a pirate vs Raiders march

He's a pirate is for the new generation the Raiders March.

Give me a break, Jordi. One of the most ridiculous thing you have EVER written.

-Erik-

No.

Erik, I really respect you as a movie music fan. but sometimes your judgement suffers about what is quality and what is cool.

If there's a movie wich is the adventure for the new generation is Pirates of Caribbean (yes, in quality and in entertaintment is not close to any of Indiana Jones movies). but it is for the new generation.

He's a pirate is now so famous like Raiders March. Sorry.

No, it's not, Jordi. You won't see "He's A Pirate" on concert programs in the near future. Maybe a suite from the first film, but the third film was a stinker and the majority of people have no clue what "He's A Pirate" is. The Raiders March is a most requested concert piece ever since it's first performance in 1981 and can be easily recognized by ANY ONE just based on the first few notes alone.

You are delusional, Jordi.

-Erik-

As a score fan, I know I am alone. It's just dumb luck my boss is a little into film scores.

While working the other day, I heard someone whistling the "Raiders March", and when he stopped, I picked up where he left off. No one has ever, ever whistled "He's A Pirate", or any other Zimmer score for that matter.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    No one has ever, ever whistled "He's A Pirate", or any other Zimmer score for that matter.

Really? No one? Ever? tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I know it's different when you're Nautilus' "land" or a band from his "land", but in
    Reality Land Erik is absolutely right. "my band plays suites from Pirates!!1!". Yeah, and they probably think "Transformers" is one of the best films they've ever seen.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. because I couldn't remember it straight up, I just listened to hes a pirate and

Which bit do you whistle, its quite long

at least with the raiders march the basic raising 4 note motif is very simple, and then all you have to do is change start note and you've pretty much got the whole thing!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win